Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't look now, but...

Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nizer
9A1 engine was designed as a street engine. Mezger was designed as a race engine, namely for LeMans in the GT1. There are fundamental differences in the two mandates, starting with crankcase design. Porsche knows this, Manthey knows this, and any competent Porsche racing team/engine builder knows this.

Porsche has already confirmed the Mezger will remain the motor for the Cup platform through 2014. Whatever comes after that for mixed competition (WEC. ALMS, etc) is anyone's guess but I highly doubt it will start with the production 9A1 crankcase motor. The direct connection between the race 911s and street GT3 was relegated to history with the 997 series.
Well if the porsche engineers can manage to modify the sacred metzger engine in my 07 rs to enable the coolant hose to separate and blow coolant all over my rear wheel on the highway when I'm traveling at 70mph I'm sure they could modify the 9a1 - if it even needs it - to race specs.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
with old engine though.

they should have left the old engine and tranny alone, and just done the chassis in the roadcar.
The 991 RSRs will be switching over to the DFI 9A1 engine ASAP. The road car is ahead of the race car in tech right now. With the 9A1 engine in there the new RSR may be unbeatable. At least until the FIA "equalizes" it.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Tell it to the 991 RSRs with (non-DFI) Mezgers currently sitting P1 and P3 GT3 Pro class.
They got there by creative sandbagging in the other WEC events leading to Le Mans. When the new fuel efficiency rules come into play next year the GT1 engine will no longer be competitive.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
If the new dfi engine is so great......they'd be running it, nuff said.
They are running it next year, nuff said?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:05 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
They are running it next year, nuff said?
Proof is in the pudding... You can't possibly know that for a fact unless you're their team boss. When we see the new motor in a race car, we'll happily believe it... nuff said...
Old 06-23-2013, 12:15 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
This will be the final hurrah for the Mezger. And a good one by the look of things.
Talk about going out on a high note. Such a fun engine.

The new 9A1 is more cost effective to produce and will be more efficient. It has shown to be reliable to date. so i cant see why people are nervous.
(afterall, they take what they know from the previous motors)

Lets not forget that the euro Mezger 991 Cup cars are actually showing to be slower in some cases when compared to the well developed end of the line 997.2 Cup cars. Perhaps more suspension tuning or more power is needed to get them past the 997.2 benchmark.?

Very curious as to how much a replacment 9A1 will cost as those of us with street 997.1-.2 GT3 and no warranty have reserves about continued hard track use due to cost of Mezger replacment.... Same for used 997 Cup owners. Wouldnt want to see this happen again with the 991 series.... a price break would be nice this time around
I think there is a misinformation here, Porsche said the new engine will be available mid-to end of next season. So there is still a chance that we see it again next year. I doubt Porsche will use the 24h as first test ground for the new engine..in a worst case scenario it could be a desaster.

So many have been saying the Mezger engine is using to much fuel, WRONG - the Manthey team won its class with 22 stops..DFI Ferrraris, Astons etc did at least 23..so..?

Yes there will be a new DFI engine next year..thats good. But again, I mention again what I already guessed before..it wont be the 991 GT3 engine..it will be something new..

Lets se..

PS: Congrats to Manthey and IMSA..victory on both classes..it couldnt be better..
Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

The last hurrah is a great one! Many of us will continue to celebrate with our street driven Mezger powered cars for years to come.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine is not the reason Porsche is winning. That same engine was getting dogged in the 997 RSR. The Corvette's missed badly on the setup this year. The Vipers were really slow, as were even the Ferrari's relative to their usual pace. I think Corvette even had to carry some extra weight.

One race does not prove anything. Even the 24. Especially when the new motors have not been given a chance yet.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:45 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I read The Mezger is dating Kate Upton after dumping Catrinel Menghia after she put on 5 pounds, but only when The Mezger's not working on a cancer cure for baby pandas. Must be why The Mezger hasn't defended his World Surfing Championship and has postponed his next NYT bestseller. Anyone tried his new three star Michelin Thai-Portuguese inspired hamburger restaurant in Geneva?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:59 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
The engine is not the reason Porsche is winning. That same engine was getting dogged in the 997 RSR. The Corvette's missed badly on the setup this year. The Vipers were really slow, as were even the Ferrari's relative to their usual pace. I think Corvette even had to carry some extra weight.

One race does not prove anything. Even the 24. Especially when the new motors have not been given a chance yet.
Exactly, the engine is not the reason for winning..the whole car, team etc is..plus one needs some luck too...and Porsche had it today. The Aston was however still the faster car..but this is a 24h race.

Despite being happy, my feeling tells me this will be a "one off victory in WEC" this year..so far they were not really competitive...or not good enough for the 1st place. Winning WEC this year is probably a pipedream... More interesting for me actually is the IMSA victory in the AM class..the 997 GT3 RSR was still good enough to beat the 458s etc there..OK..IMSA are locals..but still...
Old 06-23-2013, 06:24 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 197 Posts

It would be too risky running both a completely new chassis and a new engine at the same time, in a 24 hour event.

By running a proven engine they stand a better chance of going the distance to shake out the chassis. They can collect 24 hours of data on the chassis and not have to worry about the engine. If the new engine had issues, they'd get nothing out of the huge investment.

A sound strategy IMHO.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:50 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Is the motor in the 2014/2105 Cup car expected to be the same as the 991 GT3, I mean basically the same such as the current metzger in the 997.2 GT3/RS? What production car will homologate that GT cup motor?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Is the motor in the 2014/2105 Cup car expected to be the same as the 991 GT3, I mean basically the same such as the current metzger in the 997.2 GT3/RS?
2014 Cup retains Mezger engine.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

2014 Cup retains Mezger engine.
Ok, so whenever there is a change, which motor will it be. The basic motor in the GT3 or something else? (work with me here)
Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Ok, so whenever there is a change, which motor will it be. The basic motor in the GT3 or something else? (work with me here)
Someone else mentioned that the engine is already fully homologated. It can be used for 8 years after it stops appearing in any road car. Homologation doesn't expire with the end of production.

By the time it expires, I expect the 918 will take over and the GT3 will be like the GT2. Just a name for a car that isn't raced anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Don't look now, but...