Sponsored by:

My build

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 02:17 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Unlike Sport Chrono in regular Carreras there are no performance enhancements like launch control (GT3 already has it standard with PDK-S). You do get a stopwatch feature and other timing functions through the on board computer.
I ordered the $400 Sport Chrono Pkg. In my 991 C2S the lap timing on SC requires manual activation at the Start and Finish line which makes it useless for timing consecutive Laps - which is not really useful - so I use the SOLO and sometimes
"HARRY'S" Lap Timer on my iPhone 4 which, after starting, uses GPS to record
all the laps. The GT-3 also has GPS and I'm hoping it's SC will be delivered with new upgraded software which, once started, will record all laps using the GPS.
It would be foolish if the software does not take advantage of the existing hardware to do this. Lap timing is pretty basic to track use. We'll see!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I ordered the $400 Sport Chrono Pkg. In my 991 C2S the lap timing on SC requires manual activation at the Start and Finish line which makes it useless for timing consecutive Laps - which is not really useful - so I use the SOLO and sometimes
all the laps. The GT-3 also has GPS and I'm hoping it's SC will be delivered with new upgraded software which, once started, will record all laps using the GPS.
It would be foolish if the software does not take advantage of the existing hardware to do this. Lap timing is pretty basic to track use. We'll see!
If this was to be the case, I would order sports chrono too....Makes no sense to me to have it if I need to manually activate this every lap.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
There are aftermarket timing options, as you point out, that get you a lot more bang for your $400 than you get with sport chrono unless the GT3's sport chrono uses GPS and has a lot more data acquisition features than the previous versions. Honestly, I'll be surprised if it does....
Old 06-22-2013, 06:23 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There are aftermarket timing options, as you point out, that get you a lot more bang for your $400 than you get with sport chrono unless the GT3's sport chrono uses GPS and has a lot more data acquisition features than the previous versions. Honestly, I'll be surprised if it does....
true, but it is only $400 on a $150k car.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Harry's lap timers is OK.
I really don't like the ugly wart but if its on the right used car I could put up with it, but I know some that would not buy a car due to sports chrono.

Not a fan of red accents, I replaced all of it, door pulls, cluster, seatbelts on my cars.

The 4.0 is a lost cause..
Old 06-22-2013, 06:42 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I really don't like the ugly wart but if its on the right used car I could put up with it, but I know some that would not buy a car due to sports chrono.

Not a fan of red accents, I replaced all of it, door pulls, cluster, seatbelts on my cars.

Yeah I don't know if all the red accents will be too much, but compared to the body-colored painted interiors of 997's, I figured it would be more subtle and easily replaced if necessary.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

I would have thought otherwise. If someone is buying a GT3 to track, the sport chrono would be good to have. Yet, you believe it would discourage buyers on resale?

As far as how it looks on the dash, personally it looks like what a race car dash should have.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Nick, its wannabe laptimes.
Useless and messes up the otherwise clean looking dashboard. Nobody uses it for lap time that I know of.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a dark metallic blue exterior you might want to consider white dials or just keeping the black theme inside. Otherwise a grey interior will work well with the blue.

I don't want to put you off the red interior options but basic colour theory shows that red and blue do not go together. That's why youll never see that combo in any advertsing literature. its the equivilant of high treason in art direction. in fact i'm surprised porsche allow the option of doing that.

If you have your heart set on the red stitching and dials and recognise the drivers seat is where you spend most of your time. Then the exterior colours that work with that are red (could be red overkill though) and grey. Or the best combo would be red interior details with a black exterior.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:48 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick, its wannabe laptimes.
Useless and messes up the otherwise clean looking dashboard. Nobody uses it for lap time that I know of.
Agreed! Silly option and a wart you cannot read at speed anyway.

As far as the build; here are my opinions (you asked ):

OP you sure you can get away w/o lift? I grew up in upstate NY and there are enough transitions (driveways, gas stations, etc) where the the lift becomes quite useful. Have you had a GT3 before?

Carbon fiber: I guess I've never been a fan b/c it's just stick on CF. If structural then that's a different story

Clear lenses: not a big fan of them. Looks aftermarket in a ricer-ish kind of way.

PDLS: I'm not sure they are worth the cash, and I think the standard silver surrounds look better than the black.

Red dials: To me these look over-done. For another red accent, red belts are the way to go.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:51 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
If you have a dark metallic blue exterior you might want to consider white dials or just keeping the black theme inside. Otherwise a grey interior will work well with the blue.

I don't want to put you off the red interior options but basic colour theory shows that red and blue do not go together. That's why youll never see that combo in any advertsing literature. its the equivilant of high treason in art direction. in fact i'm surprised porsche allow the option of doing that.

If you have your heart set on the red stitching and dials and recognise the drivers seat is where you spend most of your time. Then the exterior colours that work with that are red (could be red overkill though) and grey. Or the best combo would be red interior details with a black exterior.
Tend to agree.

I'm thinking guards red exterior. Interior I'm torn b/t red and silver stitching with full leather; though I'll do red belts. I liked the yellow belts in my speed yellow GT3. added a splash of color in an otherwise all black interior.

Friends don't let friends get red dials.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:02 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed

OP you sure you can get away w/o lift? I grew up in upstate NY and there are enough transitions (driveways, gas stations, etc) where the the lift becomes quite useful. Have you had a GT3 before?

Carbon fiber: I guess I've never been a fan b/c it's just stick on CF. If structural then that's a different story

Clear lenses: not a big fan of them. Looks aftermarket in a ricer-ish kind of way.

PDLS: I'm not sure they are worth the cash, and I think the standard silver surrounds look better than the black.

Red dials: To me these look over-done. For another red accent, red belts are the way to go.
Hey, he said it first, but I agree with the aforementioned...
Old 06-22-2013, 10:45 PM
scubadiver637
Advanced

Awesome build!!! I would have opted for the sapphire blue metallic as well.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:45 AM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by frayed

Man, I agree with every one of these statements. Good taste Frayed

Last edited by RobSpyder; 06-23-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:57 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

LOL, why do friends not let friends get red dials?.. Is this the same for yellow dials/white dials?

Is there an aftermarket solution for dials colors?.. The price charged is absurd.. They are just colored plastic disks.. When I was a kid I had an Audi a4 which I changed color of dials to white.. They were $60.. Just took dash apart and replaced them.

Is this done in Porsche world?

Quick Reply: My build