Sponsored by:

Sport Auto 991 GT3 first drive scans

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:45 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The engine in the 991 GT cars is the basis for the next gen race cars. ...
Thats exactly the 1 Million Dollar question. Different views exist on this one..and CGomez mentioned that 2014 CUP will not use 991 GT3 engine..
Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I agree. But that's what the purists are asking for. Personally I think Porsche should give them that in the RS but the RS should never have a PDK option. GT3 will be PDK only. Then we have two products that perform at similar levels that satisfy different audience and everyone is happy. Maybe they can then figure out where they want to go for Generation 2 cars...
If it's an either/or then realistically RS should have PDK and GT3 manual. RS is the supposedly dedicated track iteration and trackies care more about lap times. No question PDK will deliver faster lap times. Relative to RS, GT3 will theorectically spend less time at the limit and on the track. A stronger argument for the involvement of a manual.

But end of the day, not offering both choices on both cars is a mistake.

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The engine in the 991 GT cars is the basis for the next gen race cars.
The body in white, yes. Don't hold your breath on the drivetrain.

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
not only here...but who´s mistake is it? Its not RL´s or its users mistake. Porsche offered for 15 years manual..suddenly not anymore. If they had Pdk only in the first 996 GT3..this discussion wouldnt be here...
Yup. Maximise profits and ignore your customer. Insanity driven by bean-counters. That worked out well for Detroit.

Last edited by Nizer; 06-21-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

I didnt expect Sport Auto to use such drastic words..but I would like to thank them for doing so. .
Not limited to Sport Auto or Porsche's PDK. VAG/PAG must be wondering where all the love went....

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/20/a...-allan-mcnish/

"In truth, however, tied at number one is that we wanted to see if we could find a way to love the R8. Not appreciate it, not respect it, but love it – to want to rearrange our loins such that every meal passes through a long intestine shaped like The Four Rings and a short intestine that spells "R8." We drove the V10 Spyder and considered it Supercars for Dummies, so farcically easy to drive fast that it destroys the grading curve for supercar driving ability and, as an aside, supercar thrills. Since you can apparently teach a python to open doors, as soon as they teach one how to drive it will be able to podium in SCCA races if it's in an R8."

"The new seven-speed S-Tronic twin-clutch gearbox is fine and an improvement over the old six-speed R-Tronic. We'd still prefer the manual."
Old 06-21-2013, 11:07 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

Not limited to Sport Auto or Porsche's PDK. VAG/PAG must be wondering where all the love went....

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/20/a...-allan-mcnish/

"In truth, however, tied at number one is that we wanted to see if we could find a way to love the R8. Not appreciate it, not respect it, but love it – to want to rearrange our loins such that every meal passes through a long intestine shaped like The Four Rings and a short intestine that spells "R8." We drove the V10 Spyder and considered it Supercars for Dummies, so farcically easy to drive fast that it destroys the grading curve for supercar driving ability and, as an aside, supercar thrills. Since you can apparently teach a python to open doors, as soon as they teach one how to drive it will be able to podium in SCCA races if it's in an R8."

"The new seven-speed S-Tronic twin-clutch gearbox is fine and an improvement over the old six-speed R-Tronic. We'd still prefer the manual."
I hope VW gets BLASTED in all reviews across the board for the lack of manual transmission!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:29 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fully agreed.. & please keep your turbo 3.6..if you sell it to "finance" the 991 GT3..I would get really mad. If your budget permits, I would add to that a 997 GT3, or 997 Gt3RS...like this you can be sure that youre whole collection is performing like good stocks..slowly increasing in value.

PS: The M3 E96 is the last real BMW´s for me..after that the company just went down...for me at least..
Seriously torn on the 3.6. I don't need to sell it to purchase the new 3; money already set aside for the new metal. I just suspect it won't get driven much and I'll need to find offsite storage since I don't have enough room at the house. I put essentially a new motor in the car: pistons, cylinders, slightly decked head, massaged HPS turbo, upgraded hardware (stronber bolts, etc). $20k in repairs which included $6k in cylinders :eek.

No more blue smoke, just a seriously tight engine.

It's a beast of a car and beautiful to look at.

So this broker out of FL has buyers lined up in Germany. With documentation, 75k, easy sale. Crazy how the 3.6's have appreciated.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Thats exactly the 1 Million Dollar question. Different views exist on this one..and CGomez mentioned that 2014 CUP will not use 991 GT3 engine..
And Macca mentioned that it would. So......?

I guess everyone gets to believe the rumor that fits their POV!

Quick Reply: Sport Auto 991 GT3 first drive scans