Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Corvette 10 sec faster than GT3 RS 3.8 at VIR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 11:09 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
At $60K with AAA I can afford to have a flat bed follow me around from track to track ;-)
Pictures to follow
If you give it the green light I'll seriously consider it around 70K with options and get into tracking!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Defies Physics?????
You mean like a much heavier and lower HP GT-R beating many lighter and higher HP Supercars?
HP to Weight Ratios are only part of the speed equation. Suspension, Handling Aerodynamics, Traction Control, Tires and a Wide Engine Torque Range play HUGE roles!!!
BINGO !!!

Ferrari can not get their computers to duplicate the GT-R ring times...
with the GT-R's factory HP/Weight, even using mult. variables.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Saw the new Vette on the road today.

I took a picture and showed it to a few people - unanimous impression = ugly as ****.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Defies Physics?????
You mean like a much heavier and lower HP GT-R beating many lighter and higher HP Supercars?
HP to Weight Ratios are only part of the speed equation. Suspension, Handling Aerodynamics, Traction Control, Tires and a Wide Engine Torque Range play HUGE roles!!!

Everyone agrees including Nissan (unofficially) that the GT-R has more hp than advertised. Nevertheless, it get beat by the Stingray. What about the 430 Scud which has 50 more hp is lighter and has Ferrari know how regarding racing setup and Stingray beat it as well. The only explanation is driver skill but I have difficulty accepting that these other cars were not driven by competent drivers. The test time for the Stingray is suspect.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:27 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow dude. Even with proof that gm's drivers went 5 seconds faster in the same car you are still in denial?

Please tell me you are joking.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:25 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Wow dude. Even with proof that gm's drivers went 5 seconds faster in the same car you are still in denial?

+1
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2
and there is a big difference between and competent drive and a factory test pilot even a +100 hp would not make them equal and might even make it worse for the "competent driver"
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

What are you guy's smoking!

So the only car well driven at the track was the Stingray driver? Jeez!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Hopeless.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM
kosmo
Race Director

i wonder if we'll see the a Ring time.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
i wonder if we'll see the a Ring time.
I would think so - GM spends lots of time there (even Camaros are developed there). They could wait for the Z06 (which should be very quick at the Ring).
Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

No one on this thread has mentioned the tires that were used on any of these laps.

If for example, the 991S time or GT-R ring times were set on OEM plain old street tires and the new Vette ran something sticky, the difference will be HUGE!

As well, no one will ever know if the factory GM driver's Vette engine had been tweaked just for propaganda purposes. Maybe they used the Z06 version in plain clothes?

Until someone does back to back tests in the various cars as OEM delivered under the same conditions with the same driver, this is all meaningless.

Fun to speculate!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
No one on this thread has mentioned the tires that were used on any of these laps.

If for example, the 991S time or GT-R ring times were set on OEM plain old street tires and the new Vette ran something sticky, the difference will be HUGE!

As well, no one will ever know if the factory GM driver's Vette engine had been tweaked just for propaganda purposes. Maybe they used the Z06 version in plain clothes?

Until someone does back to back tests in the various cars as OEM delivered under the same conditions with the same driver, this is all meaningless.

Fun to speculate!
P would never do such a thing.

Read the press release.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by CarManDSL

Fun to speculate!
GM posts video's of just about every run they make, you can clock the acceleration speeds, hear the street tires chirping and gather about as much info as you can from a video.

Their reputation in this regard is far higher than a certain German manufacturer who other than once only posts TBL's and no videos, nothing.

There is footage of the Z51 lap and it will be as legit as you will find. Chevy doesn't need to cheat. They already have several of the fastest cars on the list tested by third parties. This goes for pretty much every list every where.

When they say the car is comparable to a C6Z06, there is no reason to doubt them.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

GM posts video's of just about every run they make, you can clock the acceleration speeds, hear the street tires chirping and gather about as much info as you can from a video.

Their reputation in this regard is far higher than a certain German manufacturer who other than once only posts TBL's and no videos, nothing.

There is footage of the Z51 lap and it will be as legit as you will find. Chevy doesn't need to cheat. They already have several of the fastest cars on the list tested by third parties. This goes for pretty much every list every where.

When they say the car is comparable to a C6Z06, there is no reason to doubt them.
Hmmmm.

So, competition among the high performance brands is entering a new hyper phase.
If the new C7 is comparable to C6Z06, then that is like the 991S being faster than the 997.2 GT3. Bigger performance leaps between generations than we have witnessed in the past.

All good for us, tougher on the manufacturers.

Good on GM. If the build quality is vastly improved, then the new Vette will really be tough to beat.

I have removed my horse blinders!

Quick Reply: New Corvette 10 sec faster than GT3 RS 3.8 at VIR?