Sponsored by:

Sports Bucket Seats on Configurator momentarily

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Life is too short to keep stressing about how Porsche hasn't made the perfect seats...
I don't need perfect seats, just seats with holes Maybe I can cut some holes in those *** seats?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
I'm considering delaying my pre-order till they come out. I want to run a harness in my GT3 and really don't want to have to go aftermarket.
Same here, just came back from the track (I have *** seats...) and NEVER EVER again will I buy a car WITHOUT pass-through openings for a harness. Even the new Jaguar Type F convertible has the pass throughs... So it has nothing to do with DOT etc. if other manufacturers can do it.
I will delay/push out my allocation to 2015 MY since I want to do ED anyway which means "Sommer" in Europe and then might as well wait until "Herbst' (Fall) to pick up the GT3. Maybe even have the Clubsport package installed while I'm there?
PS: Fuel to the fire... I liked my manual very much today...
Old 06-20-2013, 01:10 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
I don't need perfect seats, just seats with holes Maybe I can cut some holes in those *** seats?
Let us know how that goes..... For me the sport buckets ARE perfect, just not yet available. The driver seat bucket in the Chris Harris video supposedly meets all the standards and will be available next year. I'll only have to wait a few months after I get the car and then add them. They look great......
Old 06-20-2013, 01:54 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Let us know how that goes..... For me the sport buckets ARE perfect, just not yet available. The driver seat bucket in the Chris Harris video supposedly meets all the standards and will be available next year. I'll only have to wait a few months after I get the car and then add them. They look great......
The seat in that video looks like the 918 seat. I hope you are correct, but how do you know?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:03 AM
blockbuster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do those Sport Bucket Seats have a hole in the front to accommodate six-point harnesses? If not, I suppose after-market racing seats would be necessary anyway...
Old 06-20-2013, 03:32 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jon70
The seat in that video looks like the 918 seat. I hope you are correct, but how do you know?

It's info from someone I trust who is in position to know. If they are right, then all of this angst over the seats is going to end up being much ado about nothing, or at least very little.

Originally Posted by blockbuster
Do those Sport Bucket Seats have a hole in the front to accommodate six-point harnesses? If not, I suppose after-market racing seats would be necessary anyway...
The existing sport buckets do have a hole in the seat for the sub strap. I would expect the new sport bucket to also have one.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Arth
Racer

It's info from someone I trust who is in position to know. If they are right, then all of this angst over the seats is going to end up being much ado about nothing, or at least very little.

The existing sport buckets do have a hole in the seat for the sub strap. I would expect the new sport bucket to also have one.
Hi mike. Quick question. For us ROW that already have the club sport option do you know which bucket seats will we be getting in the Chris Harris video? The one he is sitting on or the passenger buckets?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i doubt P will put in the 918 seats.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Arth
Hi mike. Quick question. For us ROW that already have the club sport option do you know which bucket seats will we be getting in the Chris Harris video? The one he is sitting on or the passenger buckets?

Thanks
Hi Arth. The ROW configurator shows the folding backrest GT2 sport bucket that you could get all along in the 997.2. It's the passenger bucket in the video. That's the one you'll be getting if you have a current order. That may change in the future when the new buckets become available.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:12 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Here is a different question. I really want seats compatible with harness, but I am not sure about the OEM seats because they come only in one size. All OEM seats I've seen are in the medium-large range. At 140lbs body weight (5'8"), would they be a good option for me? I definitely felt loose in last-gen buckets with the regular seat belt, but I did not have a chace to try them with a 5-point.

Would OEM still be a good option in this situation or would I be better off with aftermarket, where I can pick the right size for me?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:25 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

You may be better off with an aftermarket seat like a Recaro SPG. It will be harder to get in & out of though, so it will depend how you will use the car (DD vs track car). Also, with a fixed bucket you will generally not be able to fold them and therefore will lose easy access to the backseat area. Find a race shop or two in your area that has a few different seats in their showroom and go to sit in them.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by kosmo
i doubt P will put in the 918 seats.
The seats in the Harris vid don't look exactly like the 918 seats to me. The side bolsters are similar, but on the seats in the vid the headrest and harness holes are integrated with the backrest like on the current sport buckets, while on the 918 seats that I've seen pictures of the headrest pad appears to be on separate adjustable mounts and the harness pass through is formed by metal loops.

Not to mention the fact that there's the car and there are the seats. Why bother to put seats in a GT3 engineering test car that are never going to end up there? Porsche uses styling cues across the model lines. It wouldn't surprise me if the future GT3 seats looked something like those in the halo 918.

We'll see, won't we?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
How many people here would order them? I'm getting my order together now, and would have to think about it, as I love the adaptive sport seats.

I've never sat in them, are they comfortable?
I actually have bought 2 sets previously to install into my 7.1 and 7.2 cars ... if you plan to track your GT3 *ever* these are a must have ... and for the street they are pretty damn comfortable even for me at 6' and 238lbs
Old 06-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I actually have bought 2 sets previously to install into my 7.1 and 7.2 cars ... if you plan to track your GT3 *ever* these are a must have ... and for the street they are pretty damn comfortable even for me at 6' and 238lbs
You're apparently convinced obviously but for others:

Do not take the advice on this forum as gospel - go try the bucket seats at your dealer before ordering. Everyone on here talks like track performance is all that matters, because being hardcore is cool in a forum...

The reality is that almost none of these people are actually using the GT3 as a track-only car and if they are, they're misusing what is designed as a street car.

If you're using the car 1 or 2 times/week to drive to friends places, etc, and only 5 or 6 times/year at the track like I plan on doing, the bucket seats are very difficult to get in and out of and you will wear the bolsters out on the left side, which will look horrible.

Life is not an internet forum.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
You're apparently convinced obviously but for others:

Do not take the advice on this forum as gospel
- go try the bucket seats at your dealer before ordering. Everyone on here talks like track performance is all that matters, because being hardcore is cool in a forum...

The reality is that almost none of these people are actually using the GT3 as a track-only car and if they are, they're misusing what is designed as a street car.

If you're using the car 1 or 2 times/week to drive to friends places, etc, and only 5 or 6 times/year at the track like I plan on doing, the bucket seats are very difficult to get in and out of and you will wear the bolsters out on the left side, which will look horrible.

Life is not an internet forum.
I take offense at your tone ... my opinion is just that an opinion, which we are all at liberty to voice, I was not attempting to be cool or to preach gospel, your insinuation that either was my intent is simply in my opinion poor manners on your behalf.

Your suggestion that potential buyers try the seats for themselves is a sound one. The Buckets are somewhat difficult to get into and out of, but if you do track your GT3 they do transform the driving experience significantly with either the factory seat belt or a race harness.

Quick Reply: Sports Bucket Seats on Configurator momentarily