Sponsored by:

The Real PDK-S Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlierapex
..... I certainly know a lot of really fast drivers who don't downshift to second at oak tree because they lose time and momentum trying to get both the 3-2 downshift and turn-in point perfect in tight spaces like oak-tree at VIR.
This is an excellent point. Although the speeds are lower, in autox a similar situation will almost invariably arise a couple of times on any given course.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I assure you it's correct - the HP (power) is the same through that entire RPM range, because torque falls down at the same rate as revs go up. Here is an illustration (the blue dashed line). You can see that the turbo practically emulates CVT effect.

Acceleration is determined by average power to the wheels through the used rev range, and if the power to the wheels is not changing much through the used range, the average will be very close or equal to peak power. Once that point is reached, adding more gears will not increase average power to the wheels and thus will not help acceleration.
Max, you are correct. I misread your first post as referencing the torque curve, but the power curve takes into account gearing as you point out. My bad.

Of course the whole point of the GT3 is to create power with gearing and RPMs, not a turbo.

The M5's turbo-based power curve and the lack of a need for more gearing is interesting and accurate, but irrelevant in discussing a car that creates it's usable power with rpms and gearing rather than a turbo.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I agree with the OP for the most part, but still believe the overall affect is quite negligible for a talented driver. I think the biggest benefit is a lesser dependency on gear ratios being right, shifting mid sweeper where in a manual you would probably be better off just staying in one of the gears as the time/balance lost shifting while turning increases dramatically. I know I skip some shifting opportunities because it's just plain faster not to, and because I can't use the additional torque from the lower gear at the edge of traction anyways.

I think the affect depends on how much torque the car is actually putting down. In a straight line, it's pretty much identical, but mid corner, an increase in torque will not help unless you have more grip than power. Which is quite hard to do in a street car on street tires with no big DF.

I have been amazed how it's not in the right gear and downshifting mid corner while watching the Cayman Interseries guys drive around in auto mode. Pretty much every one of them going through turn 1 at Road Atlanta, you could hear the car kick down a gear likely from 4th to 3rd.

Sometimes it's beneficial to be in a higher gear because you can't put down more power in the lower gear anyways so you aren't feathering the throttle in 3rd vs planting it in 4th.
You know it. PDK-S will fix this though..
I often take a gear higher to spare the car a bit and make it easier to put power down and work on momentous.

The 991 will be a much more aim, shoot, hammer gas and brake car like Fiats. It contributes to the cars getting beat up. It does save money shifts, but I prefer how the current RS, maybe. Even Corvette challenges my driving ability.

Originally Posted by jumper5836
There was a thread about this in the Racing & Drivers Education Forum. There where a few guys saying to just leave it in auto and telling students to leave it in auto. It's easier on the car and it does a better job.
So sad.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:58 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Good point, but I certainly know a lot of really fast drivers who don't downshift to second at oak tree because they lose time and momentum trying to get both the 3-2 downshift and turn-in point perfect in tight spaces like oak-tree at VIR.

What oak tree?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now called gaping big hole corner?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:12 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

what dez and peter are saying is that in fast sweepers where balance is of omni-importance, as a driver, you want total control as to what gear you are in. sometimes higher gear allows more control, when the speed is a little too fast for a lower gear, you dont want your electro-co-driver selecting a lower gear at the wrong time.
driver wants FULL control. if that is offered in manual mode, then ok.
but for those learners who always leave it in auto mode, they will never learn proper technique.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

this is the best ever gt3 for daily driving though - by far -----------
Old 07-04-2013, 10:17 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Most of you true gearheads know that torque peak is where the engine makes the most torque, but horsepower peak is where the engine/gearing combination can deliver the most "gear multiplied torque" to the wheels. The balance between these two occurs because the mechanical advantage of increased gear-based torque amplification with increased RPMs adds more "multiplied torque" than is lost as the "engine torque" curve decreases with increasing RPMs. Horsepower is a mathematical calculation of the point at which these two independent variables (engine torque and theoretical gearing) are maximized.

In a perfect world, the maximum mathematical acceleration would occur with an engine spinning at the horsepower peak with an infinitely variable frictionless transmission.

On one hand, current variable transmissions are inefficient. On the other hand, the rate limiting step in adding more gear ratios to a manual is the ham-fisted human being shifting gears with big feet and a hairy chest.

While the journalists have touted the obvious advantages of PDK (keep both hands on the wheel, quicker shift times), perhaps the real advantage is the ability to manage more gear ratios in less time to maximize the mechanical gearing advantage available when one keeps RPMs as close to the horsepower peak as possible?

Most of us use gears 3 and 4 on most tracks on most manuals most of the time. What if you could add another gear by keeping 3rd the same and making 5th the same ratio as 4th without any loss of function by having to wave your arms and feet around like a madman between southbend and oaktree at VIR? What if you could add 2 gears?

I've never bought the argument that a manumatic gives a huge advantage in acceleration because shift times are faster - you don't lose half a second of velocity, just half a second of acceleration time. While better, the argument that the computer can heel-toe more consistently than humans is equivalently marginal in my mind (and less fun).

But what if PDK moves the game on by doing something human beings literally don't have the physical prowess to do? Human beings don't have 4 feet and can't replicate ABS. In the same manner, we don't have quick enough, non-chassis-disturbing enough shift capability to manage 50% to 100% more meaningful gear ratios.

I'm sure someone will point out that the 991 Carrera pdk has basically the same ratios as the 7spd manual, and all Porsche has told us is that the GT3 has "shorter ratios and reaches top speed in 7th rather than 6th." The increased RPMs available with the GT3 create the perfect environment for gear ratio optimization.

What if PDK really gives us access to 10% to 20% more usable torque via increased and optimized gearing over 30% to 40% of the track?

But what if PDK-S doesn't just do what we do better, but does what we can't?
Bingo, that's pretty obvious. With an automated gearbox you can keep the car at peak power output anywhere on the track. It's not just gear change times, it's available power. The world has been doing this for 10 years....welcome to the robot. With the DCT on my E90M3, the car is riding 7800-8500 all all times.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure if this is of relevance (Porsche 991 GT3 product guide). It shows the relation with standard PDK.

There's no doubt the lack of overdrive and the 7th gear makes a difference to how the 991 GT3 performs. In Fully automated mode I expect its faster on the track than in manual over ride. It would be useful to compare the two modes on the track as soon as we have the car...
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

graphs give me headaches haha!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Does Macca have a PhD...I'm wondering...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

That graph has nothing to do with it...yes it shifts faster.

But, the big improvement is the added torque because you can be in a lower gear than you typically choose with a manual. With a manual, shifting in the middle of a hard corner is a delicate situation. Some people even pick higher gears in corners to avoid a shift later. With a robot, no issue to shift anywhere...I mean absolutely anywhere. So, you are always putting more power down than a pro with a manual...just a fact. Adds up to more corner exit speed, and also lets you ink that last 2mph at the end of the straight when you would normally pull back at the rev limiter. With shorter gearing in the RS, the PDK will given even more advantage.

Not saying I am a PDK guy, I do like the DCT in my M3, but I'm in love with the manual in my RS...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Based on my experience, I think you would be amazed at how well even the first generation PDK is at anticipating and being in the right gear at any given time. Sport + auto mode is incredibly "intuitive" in track and fast road driving situations. A very skilled human driver might be able to match it, but would be unlikely to beat it. PDK-S is at least two generations on from the original and should be that much better.
+1 I totally agree with Mike!
I've done a lot of experimenting on the track with my PDK 991 C2S, Manual vs Auto. I've never been able to reduce my lap times with my 991 by manually shifting the PDK box. And not to have to worry about Over-revs keeps my attention
focused on the track - where it should be. The GT3 box should be even better.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
Does Macca have a PhD...I'm wondering...
LOL Hostair. I wish! Im still struggling to make any sense of the paragraph under section 2 next to the graph!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
LOL Hostair. I wish! Im still struggling to make any sense of the paragraph under section 2 next to the graph!
Macca, that makes me feel a lot better...
And like you said, it will be interesting to see if "down the road" a pro can beat the "auto" mode (One would think so, right?). Two of my track buddies with E92 M3's swear either way... One shifts manually -and says he is faster that way, which he is compared to his friend but he also drives on 18" wheels....). His friend leaves it in auto-mode and says that's the best.
We'll really have to wait until we get to test this "PDK-S" version...
Horst.

Quick Reply: The Real PDK-S Question