Sponsored by:

decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decision

i have dreamt about the 991 GT3 since geneva in march and followed the threads and early tests with great excitement. initially i was very surprised about the ferocity of the non-manual discussion and the AP-bashing but finally i understood...
the gt3 has its track-heritage to defend and chris harris made the difference between the factual and philosophical approaches very clear.
in the end i decided that the 991 GT3 is too hardcore for me and i am going the fiat 458 route. pickup in modena in three weeks time....my gratitude goes to people on this board for their informative and educating posts and i wish you all a lot of fun with the 991 GT3 ....inspite of its flappy paddle gearbox...it is a great car.
peter
ps: free GT3 allocation in vienna (austria)....
Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 PM
frayed
Race Car

Congrats! I think you made the right decision based on your prior posts. Come back with pics from once you pick it up.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by frayed
Congrats! I think you made the right decision based on your prior posts. Come back with pics from once you pick it up.
thanks! well, i am happy about my decision but still in love with the GT3 991.
peter
Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

You can't go wrong with a 458. A fabulous car.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Congratulations!
Q: Is the Ferrari's backlog only 3 weeks long?! Or you had an order in the system?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:54 AM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by Igooz
Congratulations!
Q: Is the Ferrari's backlog only 3 weeks long?! Or you had an order in the system?
the backlog is now 4-5 months but i picked up an order which the dealer had already in the pipeline (triple black). peter
Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 AM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter,

Huh? I read this in another one of your posts...

"i have test driven the MP4-12C twice last week and i absolutely like it. the ride quality is amazing, better than my BMW M5 on the soft setting and if wanted - by a turn of a dial - it becomes super-stiff. similar with throttle response etc....the noise is low in the soft setting but very intense when dialing things up. i even prefer it over the fiat 458 (it has normal signal and light stalks...) but the ones currently available have no front lift and i already tore off an underbody flap in the test drive when crossing a bump close to my home...."

Does that mean you're choosing the 458 over the 12C since you can get it faster? Don't get me wrong, I personally choose a 458 over a 12C too, but for a totally different reason.

Just trying to understand your logic...
Old 06-18-2013, 09:30 AM
E36325is
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markow
the backlog is now 4-5 months but i picked up an order which the dealer had already in the pipeline (triple black). peter
Even 4-5 months still saying they r making them way too fast now...
Old 06-18-2013, 05:46 PM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Peter,

Huh? I read this in another one of your posts...

"i have test driven the MP4-12C twice last week and i absolutely like it. the ride quality is amazing, better than my BMW M5 on the soft setting and if wanted - by a turn of a dial - it becomes super-stiff. similar with throttle response etc....the noise is low in the soft setting but very intense when dialing things up. i even prefer it over the fiat 458 (it has normal signal and light stalks...) but the ones currently available have no front lift and i already tore off an underbody flap in the test drive when crossing a bump close to my home...."

Does that mean you're choosing the 458 over the 12C since you can get it faster? Don't get me wrong, I personally choose a 458 over a 12C too, but for a totally different reason.

Just trying to understand your logic...
well, the MP4-12C which i test-drove was a 2012 model which the dealership had priced attractively. ordering a 2013 model with the lift system would have meant almost list price, a bad deal on my 2012 BMW and a five month wait.
the vienna ferrari dealership was very forthcoming, they had a car with specs which i liked and in the end i succumbed to the fact that the ferrari delivers the more emotional package with bette residual values.
i love german engineering (actually my current BMW M5 is a wonderful super car-sedan) and would have liked to get the GT3 but in the end decided against it since i was worried about daily and in particular long distance usability (say, how does a GT3 drive from vienna to monte carlo feel?) and the price difference to the 458 was not all that significant.
so maybe i shall go for the GT3 991 gen 2 in 3 years' time...
peter
Old 06-19-2013, 03:06 AM
TomTom77
Racer

well, the MP4-12C which i test-drove was a 2012 model which the dealership had priced attractively. ordering a 2013 model with the lift system would have meant almost list price, a bad deal on my 2012 BMW and a five month wait.
the vienna ferrari dealership was very forthcoming, they had a car with specs which i liked and in the end i succumbed to the fact that the ferrari delivers the more emotional package with bette residual values.
i love german engineering (actually my current BMW M5 is a wonderful super car-sedan) and would have liked to get the GT3 but in the end decided against it since i was worried about daily and in particular long distance usability (say, how does a GT3 drive from vienna to monte carlo feel?) and the price difference to the 458 was not all that significant.
so maybe i shall go for the GT3 991 gen 2 in 3 years' time...
peter
That makes a lot of sense... I most probably would have done the same.

Surprised about the "not all that significant" price difference between the 2. Over here in Dubai, a base 458 is twice the price of a base GT3. And we all know that the Fiat cannot possible be twice as good, right? ;-)

Which is why I ordered the 458 'Scuderia', to see if it's three times as good, haha...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 AM
markow
Racer

did they quote you a price fro the upcoming 458 scud?
peter

That makes a lot of sense... I most probably would have done the same.

Surprised about the "not all that significant" price difference between the 2. Over here in Dubai, a base 458 is twice the price of a base GT3. And we all know that the Fiat cannot possible be twice as good, right? ;-)

Which is why I ordered the 458 'Scuderia', to see if it's three times as good, haha...

Old 06-19-2013, 03:54 PM
TomTom77
Racer

did they quote you a price fro the upcoming 458 scud?
peter
We're going off topic now, but nope, not yet. It's just my gut feel that it will be about 40% more than a base 458... so just below the F12 price.

Nor weight or HP for that matter. Although it is expected to be 100 kg lighter and should get about 610-620 HP.

Then again, since it doesn't have 3 pedals and a MT, according to most guys on this forum, I must be a Kool-Aid drinking Cars-and-Coffee guy even considering it, next to the "Carrera GTS/3"
Old 06-19-2013, 04:20 PM
frayed
Race Car

Then again, since it doesn't have 3 pedals and a MT, according to most guys on this forum, I must be a Kool-Aid drinking Cars-and-Coffee guy even considering it, next to the "Carrera GTS/3"
Hahaha. You're gonna get your man-card revoked, along with Mike in CA.

But Rad (NJ-GT) will come to the rescue b/c he's the primary defender of Fiat on this board.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Hahaha. You're gonna get your man-card revoked, along with Mike in CA.
What's this about my man card? I earned it over 4 decades of driving 3 pedal cars. At this point, I don't have to prove nuthin' to nobody no how....
Old 06-19-2013, 06:42 PM
frayed
Race Car

Whoops got you mixed up with another poster who stated he wants the PDK b/c he never got really good a consistent heel toeing.

Quick Reply: decision