991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW Group sure is confused about Paddles vs. Manual

Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

Exactly my sentiments when I read that the Gallardo replacement will have an open-gate manual. We'll see soon enough at Frankfurt.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If true, its hilarious how some manufacturers are waking up and offering manual to get some enthusiasts back on board just as Porsche are falling asleep behind the wheel and turning their backs on that crowd sort after by others...

Last edited by 911rox; 06-18-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:30 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

porsche need to do a rohrl-edition gt3
Old 06-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Get em while you can...

I think the GT Plus will be more powerful, lighter, and more expensive.
Yup, sounds like Gallardo specs - 550-570hp, 3,400lbs in RWD MT form. Although I will be surprised if Audi ditches quattro, even for a special model.
Originally Posted by CRex
Exactly my sentiments when I read that the Gallardo replacement will have an open-gate manual. We'll see soon enough at Frankfurt.
I will be surprised by that as well. Supposedly the last Lamborghinis with manual transmissions are being built next month.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:03 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if the R8 GT + w/ a stick, RWD, and about 3500lb comes near $150k , I'd be very interested.

Separately, while reviewing a Caddy, Leno comments "Porsche has given up on the manual..." :

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/c...ml#item=292652
Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Many assume that the choice to go PDK in the GT3 was strictly a marketing decision. What about the possiblility that the development team actually tested both MT and PDK, were free to go either way as far as VW was concerned, but evaluated and chose a revised PDK as the best overall match for the high revving engine in the 991 GT3? The Audi, with it's V10 is a very different animal. Maybe they're not confused at all. Just sayin'.....
I think the GT development team did evaluate the manual vs the PDK, and did find the manual wanting. However I'll still contend the manual's fate was sealed by the bean-counters. I think Herr Preuninger played the hand he was dealt as best he could, and the blame for this serious error in judgement likely lies elsewhere.

The problem is that there is only one transmission in the Porsche inventory that can be physically fit to the 991 GT3, and that is the arguably terrible new 7 speed manual. The been-counters required this transmission to share the vast majority of its components with the PDK, which I'm sure resulted in significant saving across the line and got some suit a promotion. Unfortunately while the engineers are proud that they were able to accomplish this, the complex mechanism that allows the automated gearbox to be shifted manually has resulted in what Evo called "one of the 5 worst manual gearboxes of all time". (Clearly they have not driven a slightly worn 915, but that's beside the point...)

Preuninger's only options were to take this compromised gearbox and make it work, or to develop something new: preferably a slick, lightweight 6 speed. I can imagine the meeting in which he pleaded for the funds to do just that: "You want to spend how much? On an option that worldwide will have a 20% take-up rate on an already low volume car? And it will be slower?"

Predictable that he was told to make the new 7 speed work... Unfortunately even his engineer's magic goes only so far. When the drive-off came between the manual and the PDK the conclusion was foregone.

So as great as the rest of the new GT3 is (and I have long expected the rest of it would turn out to be pretty great) the most hardcore enthusiasts will forever lament the fact that it could have been much better still.

Porsche bean counters: the GT3 is a car for real enthusiasts, not just a cash-cow. Every manual GT3 you would have made less money on would have counterbalanced a boat-load of soccer mom piloted SUVs. Shame on you for cutting this particular corner in the name of profit- turning your back on the most passionate drivers haunts you.

I do see two opportunities for redemption: A) fix it for the RS (it's never too late), or B) a perfectly good 6 speed already exists for the Cayman.

Last edited by Petevb; 06-19-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:57 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^^ Good points!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts

Lamborghini Gallardo replacement 'to launch in 2014' with manual gearbox...

(17 June 2013)

Lamborghini is set to continue its 50th anniversary celebrations with the unveiling of a new concept car at the Frankfurt motor show in September that closely previews its upcoming Gallardo replacement, sources close to the Italian supercar maker have revealed.

The new two-seater, the production version of which is set to go on sale in the UK during the second half of next year, follows the example of its predecessor in sharing key components, including a lightweight carbonfibre and aluminium spaceframe structure, with the replacement for today’s Audi R8, due in 2015.

The new car, which carries the internal codename LP724, is said to have grown marginally in length to almost 4500mm, or 16mm longer than its predecessor, with width and height remaining close to the 1900mm and 1165mm respectively of the Gallardo.

Together with an edgy new exterior, the Gallardo replacement is set to adopt a new interior layout that, with a slight increase in wheelbase over its predecessor at 2600mm, will offer added levels of accommodation.

Despite harbouring initial plans to base its new car around a contemporary carbonfibre monocoque similar to that of the Aventador, Lamborghini has been forced to follow a more conservative route dictated by parent company Audi and its second-generation R8 supercar.

Both cars have been conceived around a modular spacefame. This will allow them to share vital components, including selected parts of a new, lightweight carbonfibre and aluminium structure that, Autocar can confirm, weighs 198kg in the form to be used by the Audi. That is 24kg less than the all-aluminium structure used by the current R8.

Despite using a similar structure, the R8 and the Gallardo replacement will receive different wheelbases. The Audi’s is 30mm longer than the Lamborghini’s for greater levels of interior accommodation, including stowage space behind the seats. By using a shorter wheelbase than the Audi, the structure of the new Lamborghini is a further 3kg lighter, at just 195kg.

The new spaceframe structure will be clothed in a body that uses a combination of carbonfibre-reinforced plastic and aluminium panels. The move is aimed at bringing the new mid-engined Lamborghini to the scales at less than 1500kg — the official kerb weight of today’s four-wheel-drive Gallardo.

Power will come from an updated version of the Gallardo’s naturally aspirated 5.2-litre V10 petrol engine. It will be tuned to deliver close to 600bhp and 400lb ft of torque in standard guise, while complying with stringent new EU6 emissions regulations set to come into force next year.

The reworked engine will be mated to a standard six-speed manual gearbox, while the new seven-speed dual-clutch automatic from the R8 will be optional, replacing the current Gallardo’s six-speed automated manual ’box.

Alongside standard four-wheel-drive models, Lamborghini also plans selected rear-wheel-drive versions of its new supercar.

Meanwhile, rumours suggest that the Gallardo replacement will take the name Cabrera. In keeping with Lamborghini tradition, it refers to a line of Spanish bulls whose lineage can be traced to other famous breeds, including the Miura, Gallardo, Navarra, Veragua and Vistahermosa-Parladé.
Lamborghini Gallardo replacement to launch in 2014 -- Autocar link

Old 06-19-2013, 04:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I think the GT development team did evaluate the manual vs the PDK, and did find the manual wanting. However I'll still contend the manual's fate was sealed by the bean-counters. I think Herr Preuninger played the hand he was dealt as best he could, and the blame for this serious error in judgement likely lies elsewhere.

The problem is that there is only one transmission in the Porsche inventory that can be physically fit to the 991 GT3, and that is the arguably terrible new 7 speed manual. The been-counters required this transmission to share the vast majority of its components with the PDK, which I'm sure resulted in significant saving across the line and got some suit a promotion. Unfortunately while the engineers are proud that they were able to accomplish this, the complex mechanism that allows the automated gearbox to be shifted manually has resulted in what Evo called "one of the 5 worst manual gearboxes of all time". (Clearly they have not driven a slightly worn 915, but that's beside the point...)

Preuninger's only options were to take this compromised gearbox and make it work, or to develop something new: preferably a slick, lightweight 6 speed. I can imagine the meeting in which he pleaded for the funds to do just that: "You want to spend how much? On an option that worldwide will have a 20% take-up rate on an already low volume car? And it will be slower?"

Predictable that he was told to make the new 7 speed work... Unfortunately even his engineer's magic goes only so far. When the drive-off came between the manual and the PDK the conclusion was foregone.

So as great as the rest of the new GT3 is (and I have long expected the rest of it would turn out to be pretty great) the most hardcore enthusiasts will forever lament the fact that it could have been much better still.

Porsche bean counters: the GT3 is a car for real enthusiasts, not just a cash-cow. Every manual GT3 you would have made less money on would have counterbalanced a boat-load of soccer mom piloted SUVs. Shame on you for cutting this particular corner in the name of profit- turning your back on the most passionate drivers haunts you.

I do see two opportunities for redemption: A) fix it for the RS (it's never too late), or B) a perfectly good 6 speed already exists for the Cayman.
Good points,but there's something about '' the most profitable car company in the World '' that's not adding up...
IMO they could've offered a transmission choice and be plenty profitable! Come on people,it just doesn't make sense!
Old 06-19-2013, 05:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,706 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Good stuff, Pete. No need to rehash our old thread, but I still desire a manual 7 speed over a 6. If this is not realistic, how about the awesome gated 6spd in the Gallardo and R8 - this is in the Group parts bin already too (with better feel and strength - and already tested at stratospheric revs with much more torque than the Cayman)?

Of course using either the Cayman's or Gallardo's gearboxes means the wheels will be turning the wrong direction
Old 06-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I think the Stasis superchargers come with warranty (sold through Audi dealers).

540hp and 435 ft-lbs with 4 years/50k mile warranty

http://www.stasisengineering.com/sig...8-42-2008-2013
Yep, and their R8 V10 using an Eaton/Magnuson TVS2300 (the V8 uses a TVS1900) makes 710HP/523lb-ft.

The only drawback is $ ($55K+ for the V10 conversion).
Old 06-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

This suggested the Porsche 960 will also be available with a manual, as the latest rumors suggest it's supposed to share that platform as well.
Originally Posted by neanicu
Good points,but there's something about '' the most profitable car company in the World '' that's not adding up...
IMO they could've offered a transmission choice and be plenty profitable!
I agree, of course ask yourself how they got to be the most profitable car company in the world in the first place?
Originally Posted by Al Pettee
The only drawback is $ ($55K+ for the V10 conversion).
A friend of mine has the first supercharged V10 converstion. Epic- leaves strips from all 4 hoosier A6s for 100 yards at the autocross.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster Coupe GTS
Lamborghini Gallardo replacement 'to launch in 2014' with manual gearbox...

Maybe, maybe not. Currently the manual is a no-cost option that must be special-ordered (and very, very rarely is) so I doubt it will be "standard". That alone tells me this is somebody's wild guess rather than anything official.

But if it does turn out to be true, as Petevb suggested, it bodes well for the possibility of a manual in the 960...
Old 06-20-2013, 06:33 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
If true, its hilarious how some manufacturers are waking up and offering manual to get some enthusiasts back on board just as Porsche are falling asleep behind the wheel and turning their backs on that crowd sort after by others...
FULLY AGREE..! If this is true about the Gallardo and if it would offer a bit more track reliability this would be my future car..

Goodbye Porsche then and welcome "raging bull" from bella Italia.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche was terribly slow in adopting the paddle shift. Stubborn is how I would describe Porsche attitude towards its customer's demand. Heck, the pdk still comes with stupid buttons instead of real paddles. No idea why they ditched the manual as the PDK isn't all that great compare to Ferrari's dual clutch.

I am not so impressed with R8 V8. On the track, it was slower than a RS5.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VW Group sure is confused about Paddles vs. Manual