Sponsored by:

Daily Driver 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
Mine is arctic silver with clear film on everything in front of the doors. The original owner set the car up that way for track use. If I was buying new, I would investigate options for applying more coverage to the car.
Okay the 3M treatment and you want this just to protect against stone chips, etc?
Old 06-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No way too loud.
Even with side muffler delete i can speak on bluetooth, just keep it under 4000rpm..
Above 4500, well its beautiful.
Awesome. And you didn't find the 'drone' that has been reported annoying? I don't think I'd mind it, I opened up the connecting pipe on my Cayman S to make it louder and loved it.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan39
Okay the 3M treatment and you want this just to protect against stone chips, etc?
Stone chips and parking scrapes on the bumpers, the rear in particular. I don't know if the film can help prevent dings.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:47 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

has anyone here wrapped their car?... both for aesthetics or for protection of paint underneath?.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Awesome. And you didn't find the 'drone' that has been reported annoying? I don't think I'd mind it, I opened up the connecting pipe on my Cayman S to make it louder and loved it.
No drone at all, but depends on brand, I have M&M.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
has anyone here wrapped their car?... both for aesthetics or for protection of paint underneath?.
I wrapped my '10RS TRAKCAR 3.0 in a double layer of flat white vinyl before i even took delivery. It discolored badly after a year, see pictures below. It did protect the pain very well and I replaced it with 3m clear bra that protects the car even better, but also yellows when you use it on the track, specially the very hot area"s. the Next RS I wrapped in XPEL, it's self healing and yellows less I think.

I just removed the 3m pieces of my last also white car and I will re-wrap in the latest 3m I think.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No drone at all, but depends on brand, I have M&M.

I wrapped my '10RS TRAKCAR 3.0 in a double layer of flat white vinyl before i even took delivery. It discolored badly after a year, see pictures below. It did protect the pain very well and I replaced it with 3m clear bra that protects the car even better, but also yellows when you use it on the track, specially the very hot area"s. the Next RS I wrapped in XPEL, it's self healing and yellows less I think.

I just removed the 3m pieces of my last also white car and I will re-wrap in the latest 3m I think.
Alan Seligman <www.invincaman.com> Wrapped my Red 991 C2S with XPEL Ultimate a few months ago.
Alan travels over the U.S. wrapping for various Porsche Regions and is highly experienced and meticulous.
I was very impressed with the care and time he took to do it. The XPEL he puts on carries a 10 year warranty against yellowing, hazing, cracking, peeling, and staining and certain road hazards. He told me all the materials he uses, including 3M, have improved greatly over the last few years. If you have any interest, he is located in Orlando and his Cell # is 407-767-0966.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:27 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Alan Seligman <www.invincaman.com> Wrapped my Red 991 C2S with XPEL Ultimate a few months ago.
Alan travels over the U.S. wrapping for various Porsche Regions and is highly experienced and meticulous.
I was very impressed with the care and time he took to do it. The XPEL he puts on carries a 10 year warranty against yellowing, hazing, cracking, peeling, and staining and certain road hazards. He told me all the materials he uses, including 3M, have improved greatly over the last few years. If you have any interest, he is located in Orlando and his Cell # is 407-767-0966.
thanks for the contact... I'll put it in my phone. however, I'm thinking I want this wrapped before I start driving it around europe for a few weeks after delivery.. so it will have to be a local Leipzig shop. I also would like some graphics... I'm thinking Martini livery while I'm paying for the wrap anyway.. does the XPEL material lend itself to color, or is it like a clear-bra?
Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
thanks for the contact... I'll put it in my phone. however, I'm thinking I want this wrapped before I start driving it around europe for a few weeks after delivery.. so it will have to be a local Leipzig shop. I also would like some graphics... I'm thinking Martini livery while I'm paying for the wrap anyway.. does the XPEL material lend itself to color, or is it like a clear-bra?
The XPEL I have is a clear film - Don't know if it comes in colors. Alan thought it might offer more protection than the 3M. 3M is warranted for only 5 Years and
XPEL is warranted for 10 Years. Martini Livery would be AWESOME on the GT-3.
Great Idea!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

like this?
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

bingo! except I would try to wrap the actual car in red wrap (on top of the red paint) with the stripes.

wheels will be more of a flat black as plastidip doesn't turn out shiny
Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

This is too silly.

First of all, I think we’re all interchanging DD with weekend and occasional street use. I don’t think a GT3 makes for a great daily, for valid reasons Mike pointed out. However, for pure pleasure driving during off days and weekends, and holidays, and Mother’s Day, that’s where the GT3 hits its sweet spot. Really, when you think about it, it’s the same with a F430 or 458—not meant to be dailies, and yet not many end up on a track, either.

Tell your sales guy to go and take Sales 101 at the local Community College, find another dealer, buy yourself a GT3, and drive it whenever and wherever you like. And don’t forget to smile while doing so.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:45 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
This is too silly.

First of all, I think we’re all interchanging DD with weekend and occasional street use. I don’t think a GT3 makes for a great daily, for valid reasons Mike pointed out. However, for pure pleasure driving during off days and weekends, and holidays, and Mother’s Day, that’s where the GT3 hits its sweet spot. Really, when you think about it, it’s the same with a F430 or 458—not meant to be dailies, and yet not many end up on a track, either.

Tell your sales guy to go and take Sales 101 at the local Community College, find another dealer, buy yourself a GT3, and drive it whenever and wherever you like. And don’t forget to smile while doing so.
I'm not, I would drive it daily if it had a back seat for the kids - but my needs are a single car for Track/DD use. If it had a back seat, I would have been first in line to order. My E90M3 is getting tired.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:44 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

I just got my deposit in to my premier dealer for the GT3. I plan to drive it as much as possible several times per week wherever like the Vette. Confident in my choice especially with front lift
Old 06-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations. I doubt you will be dissapointed...
Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
I just got my deposit in to my premier dealer for the GT3. I plan to drive it as much as possible several times per week wherever like the Vette. Confident in my choice especially with front lift
How many are ahead of you on the list?

Quick Reply: Daily Driver 991 GT3