Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:26 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

here's what I think:
Pros for the gt3: Ride, visibility, fuel eco, and available axle lift
Pros for the gtr: Available back seat

Last edited by kosmo; 06-17-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
here's what think:
Pros for the gt3: Ride, visibility, fuel eco, and available axle lift
Pros for the gtr: Available back seat
Pro for the GT3: You don't have to bag your head because the car is butt ugly....
Pro for the GTR: With a bag on your head you can save on grooming costs....

Old 06-15-2013, 05:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Was a bit busy hooning in Spain, but did spend some time in more leisurely driving. My take: the 991 GT3 is indeed even more suitable for daily driving than a 997-2 GT3—a car I would have no problem using as a daily driver and have used as such in the past. Of course, things like "too loud," "too stiff," and "too much" are a very subjective thing. The wind-noise in my 2011 GTI drives me crazy, but I thought the Yellow Bird made a perfectly suitable commuter. I suppose I am willing to cut certain cars more slack if they make up for it in other areas. I suspect others are, too. To an extent each their own.

If I was going to daily driver a GT3, I would definitely order the nose-lift system. While the low front spoilers on previous GT 911s haven't caused me much of a problem, even when I was living in SF, the nose lift enables the car to go places where I wouldn't have been able to in the past—and avoids making other drivers wait while you perform Rubicon Trail-esque approach angles to preserve a plastic air dam. I doubt I would be able to tell the difference between GT3s with and without the system, dynamically, so I see it as a no-brainer for increasing the car's usefulness.

Also a good thing to help get the car on a flat bed in the event of a flat tire...
Old 06-15-2013, 05:34 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stout

Also a good thing to help get the car on a flat bed in the event of a flat tire...
Oh yeah, then there's that!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Daniel L
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Just needs a rear seat and it would be the ultimate double duty daily driver for a father with two kids. I could collapse my E90M3 and RS together into one spot in the garage.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...lled-pics.html

You can be the first for the 991 GT3
Old 06-16-2013, 07:55 AM
markow
Racer

this sounds good to me but still i am agonizing over the decision to buy or not to buy. i have to decide until tomorrow, when both my options on a GT3 (november delivery) and on a fiat 458 (available for factory pickup in two weeks) run out.
here are the pro/cons:

GT3: seemingly very involving drive, direct and immediate. reasonable financial proposition. ugly rear wing, a bit suburbs-of-detroit-style (i know i shall get flamed on this). too stiff suspension (yes, very personal decision)? very loud even at low revs? no parking sensors, no rear view camera (i know...not needed on the track, but my wife will drive it as well on the mean streets and parking lots of european cities). cup tires problematic when it rains (and it does often where i live).

F458: great looks, maybe a bit too flashy (although mine would be black), much more expensive than the GT3, but probably more of a dual type: cruiser when wanted to and creaming monster at the touch of a button. comes with front lift, parking sensors, rear view cam, non-cup tires which i like.

agonizing.....
peter

Originally Posted by stout
Was a bit busy hooning in Spain, but did spend some time in more leisurely driving. My take: the 991 GT3 is indeed even more suitable for daily driving than a 997-2 GT3—a car I would have no problem using as a daily driver and have used as such in the past. Of course, things like "too loud," "too stiff," and "too much" are a very subjective thing. The wind-noise in my 2011 GTI drives me crazy, but I thought the Yellow Bird made a perfectly suitable commuter. I suppose I am willing to cut certain cars more slack if they make up for it in other areas. I suspect others are, too. To an extent each their own.

If I was going to daily driver a GT3, I would definitely order the nose-lift system. While the low front spoilers on previous GT 911s haven't caused me much of a problem, even when I was living in SF, the nose lift enables the car to go places where I wouldn't have been able to in the past—and avoids making other drivers wait while you perform Rubicon Trail-esque approach angles to preserve a plastic air dam. I doubt I would be able to tell the difference between GT3s with and without the system, dynamically, so I see it as a no-brainer for increasing the car's usefulness.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by markow
GT3: seemingly very involving drive, direct and immediate. reasonable financial proposition. ugly rear wing, a bit suburbs-of-detroit-style (i know i shall get flamed on this). too stiff suspension (yes, very personal decision)? very loud even at low revs? no parking sensors, no rear view camera (i know...not needed on the track, but my wife will drive it as well on the mean streets and parking lots of european cities). cup tires problematic when it rains (and it does often where i live).
peter
Interesting you think it would be too loud - I was thinking about whether I would need to remove the rear side mufflers to make it louder.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:17 PM
markow
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan39
Interesting you think it would be too loud - I was thinking about whether I would need to remove the rear side mufflers to make it louder.
i like the sound of it, but on a 1000km highway trip it could be challenging. that is why i like cars with a duality personality. and i am not sure the GT3 is one of those...
p
Old 06-16-2013, 12:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

No way too loud.
Even with side muffler delete i can speak on bluetooth, just keep it under 4000rpm..
Above 4500, well its beautiful.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 PM
frayed
Race Car

I have to imagine that when you don't click the exhaust button the noise is adequately muted. But yeah it'll be stiffer, harder to park, and has a bigass ugly wing (as viewed through the eyes of most non-porsche non-motorheads). But the 458 will be less usable in other ways, at least based on my experience having owned a modern Ferrari.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since both of will be driving whatever car you choice, it Sounds like your wife would enjoy the 458 better...Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's a great car and would make both of you happy.

My wife doesn't drive my cars, so it's a GT3 for me. She does not want me to sell the Cayman R, she wants it for herself...

Last edited by Conekilr; 06-16-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Should be a fine DD - this is the first GT3 designed as a street car.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:39 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by markow
this sounds good to me but still i am agonizing over the decision to buy or not to buy. i have to decide until tomorrow, when both my options on a GT3 (november delivery) and on a fiat 458 (available for factory pickup in two weeks) run out.
here are the pro/cons:

F458: great looks, maybe a bit too flashy (although mine would be black), much more expensive than the GT3, but probably more of a dual type: cruiser when wanted to and creaming monster at the touch of a button. comes with front lift, parking sensors, rear view cam, non-cup tires which i like.

agonizing.....
peter
I've driven a 991 through Europe recently (Germany, Switzerland, France and Austria). My experience was the same as in the U.S. with my 991 C2S.
The 911 has become so familiar, that it is given hardly a second look, and
very few know if it is a "New" car or decades old. On the other hand, my
575M Ferrari attracted constant unwanted attention, from everyone.
That factor, plus the constant need to "fix" broken stuff at outrageous parts
and maintenance prices (hugely more frequent and expensive than my many Porsches) led me to sell the car recently. With vandalism, theft, jealousy,
malicious mischief and car-jacking increasing due to the deteriorating economy, (especially in Europe) No way would I be comfortable taking a Ferrari through
the "mean streets and parking lots" of most European Cities. With Wings sprouting on everything with wheels, I wouldn't expect the 991 GT3 to remain a
far lower profile (safer?) car for you and your wife.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:53 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan39
Can you explain the full wrap? In your picture it just looks like yours is white. Thx
Mine is arctic silver with clear film on everything in front of the doors. The original owner set the car up that way for track use. If I was buying new, I would investigate options for applying more coverage to the car.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:36 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Just needs a rear seat and it would be the ultimate double duty daily driver for a father with two kids. I could collapse my E90M3 and RS together into one spot in the garage.
I had exactly the same thought (also, moving from e90 M3). Hope it's possible.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver 991 GT3