991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

As others have noted, a lot of factors to consider, applying your own priorities. But my 997.1S is my DD, and I love it for that use. And I see the general purpose of the 911 as being to serve as a truly versatile sports car which you can enjoyably drive every day on the road - with decent comfort and plenty of fun at sane speeds - yet also take it to the track in almost stock form and kick some serious ***.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:57 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If using it as DD is a make or break thing, you could do it. Especially with the PDK box. The ride is livable. The interior noise level can be a challenge. I've had nothing but positive attention in mine. Someone even left a note asking for a ride (which I offered). Choose a plain colour and do a full wrap from day one.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:34 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hard to know the small things that make a car tolerable/intolerable as a DD without spending some time with it but it's very likely to be better than the previous version, and some people drive them daily. It's low; around here the front axle lift would be a must unless you don't mind replacing parts.

Stiil, as mentioned above it depends on your tolerance; it wouldn't be my choice for a DD.
Hi Mike. It sound like you have really done your research on this car. With the front axle lift will it have the same driveway 'accessibility' as a 997 C2S?
Jim
Old 06-15-2013, 02:09 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Hi Mike. It sound like you have really done your research on this car. With the front axle lift will it have the same driveway 'accessibility' as a 997 C2S?
Jim
Jim, it should. With a normal Carrera as a baseline, a Carrera S is 10mm lower, a sport chassis Carrera/S is 20mm lower, and a GT3 is 30mm lower. The axle lift raises the nose by 30mm, so taking the GT3's extended spoiler into consideration, it should have about the same clearance as a regular Carrera S. I'm counting on it, anyway, as I have a steep driveway!

Last edited by Mike in CA; 06-15-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:12 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike!. This is a big concern as I'd hate to thrash the front end the first time down the driveway. Are you going to keep your C2S when the GT3 arrives?
Jim
Old 06-15-2013, 03:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

You're welcome, Jim. I agree. Even though replacing the spoiler periodically is cost effective compared to the lift, thrashing the front end would be bad for my psyche! And while I'd love to have several additional sports cars (a nice 356 for starters) one is my current limit. The C2S is going......
Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting that when AP was interviewed by EVO he stated that the 991 GT3 was too "raw" for his wife who preferred to drive the 4.0RS when she had the choice of both at her disposal....

Its on the EVO interview you can find on YouTube.

As yet we have heard nothing from the 3 journalists that have driven the car (in limited scenarios) about weather is quieter, louder, harder sprung, more noisy exhaust etc.

My guess is with the 991 chassis and RWS it should be a quieter and more maneuverable car for everyday enjoyment.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:50 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Interesting that when AP was interviewed by EVO he stated that the 991 GT3 was too "raw" for his wife who preferred to drive the 4.0RS when she had the choice of both at her disposal....

Its on the EVO interview you can find on YouTube.

As yet we have heard nothing from the 3 journalists that have driven the car (in limited scenarios) about weather is quieter, louder, harder sprung, more noisy exhaust etc.

My guess is with the 991 chassis and RWS it should be a quieter and more maneuverable car for everyday enjoyment.
I agree with Macca - but it does depend upon your definition of a "DD"
My 2004 996 GT3 was a delightful car for short drives with its light handling responsiveness. But the Engine noise, Tire noise and stiff ride on the
long (150 - 500 mile) drives to far-off trackdays made it intolerable for my wife.
Normal conversation was very difficult and the radio could hardly be heard above the din. Later GT3 models were much more civilized and listening to the relatively low background noise in CH's review, I fully expect the 991 to have continued along those lines. But then again, personal opinions vary greatly as to the what level of comfort a "DD" is expected to have.
level
Old 06-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
If using it as DD is a make or break thing, you could do it. Especially with the PDK box. The ride is livable. The interior noise level can be a challenge. I've had nothing but positive attention in mine. Someone even left a note asking for a ride (which I offered). Choose a plain colour and do a full wrap from day one.
Can you explain the full wrap? In your picture it just looks like yours is white. Thx
Old 06-15-2013, 01:45 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You're welcome, Jim. I agree. Even though replacing the spoiler periodically is cost effective compared to the lift, thrashing the front end would be bad for my psyche! And while I'd love to have several additional sports cars (a nice 356 for starters) one is my current limit. The C2S is going......
It sounds like you will use your GT3 in the way that you currently use your C2S which is what I would do as well. Does it bother you at all to have the big wing in the back? I know it is an important part of the aerodynamics but...
Jim
Old 06-15-2013, 01:47 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Sorry if it seems like I am hijacking the thread but we are talking about the ability to daily drive this car!
Jim
Old 06-15-2013, 01:47 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

Interesting sales approach by your sales guy.

I think the various opinions and thoughts posted in this thread cover the spectrum of facts you need to consider.

I personally think its challenging to us a sports car as a DD even though I have a C4S I find myself using my RR about a 3 to1 ratio. With that said I have a few friends that use their 997.1 and 997.2 GT3's as daily drivers and both of those models have a very stiff clutch. The PDK will be much easier for daily commuting.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

It sounds like you will use your GT3 in the way that you currently use your C2S which is what I would do as well. Does it bother you at all to have the big wing in the back? I know it is an important part of the aerodynamics but...
Jim
Sorry if it seems like I am hijacking the thread but we are talking about the ability to daily drive this car!
Jim
Considering some of the tangents we get off on, you're hardly hijacking!

I'm not bothered by the wing. I had a whale tail on my 3.2 Carrera and I really liked the distinctive look. It's very subjective, of course, but while I think the RS wing is a bit over the top on the street (JMO, no flames please), the 3 wing is a nice compromise.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:14 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Just needs a rear seat and it would be the ultimate double duty daily driver for a father with two kids. I could collapse my E90M3 and RS together into one spot in the garage.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:21 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim
The answer is highly subjective - better off just driving one when they are available...

From a conjecture perspective, we do KNOW that the trend for the street GT3 has been in the direction of a more complaint ride across the iterations. I expect the GT3 to fit this pattern.

-B

Quick Reply: Daily Driver 991 GT3