Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

5-Lug vs Center-lock Poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I thought I was buying a car that I can drive to the track spend a few hours giving it a workout and drive home. I guess it is not as simple as that.
Sure you can. Where did any of us say that this wasn't possible? You're dissecting way too deep in this. For your intents and purposes, the car is setup perfectly and is no different than a 997 GT3. Use oem tires and brake pads, when they wear out, have a shop change them. You're good to go.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Thing is with these Cl's is there's lotta what if's both street or track. Suppose u on a road trip u get a flat tire with CL's. Are u confident enuf it's done correctly that a regular gas station with a shop when it gets towed there able to change tire and bolt it back on even with all the right tools in your car even with that 45 page instruction manual on how to change it. Virtual nitemare. I guarantee u if another gt3 with 5 lug that's next to u in gas station will make there reservation to a 3 Michelin star restarant. Mike
Old 10-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Thing is with these Cl's is there's lotta what if's both street or track. Suppose u on a road trip u get a flat tire with CL's. Are u confident enuf it's done correctly that a regular gas station with a shop when it gets towed there able to change tire and bolt it back on even with all the right tools in your car even with that 45 page instruction manual on how to change it. Virtual nitemare. I guarantee u if another gt3 with 5 lug that's next to u in gas station will make there reservation to a 3 Michelin star restarant. Mike
That is my concern. Driving to a track which may be 100 miles away and having a flat tire on the way there or back. I believe the tire can be inflated with a provided temporary tire repair kit and driven for about 75 miles unless the hole in the tire is too large. It is a bad spot to be in since most tire vendors are clueless regarding the CL assuming they have the tire in stock.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

That is my concern. Driving to a track which may be 100 miles away and having a flat tire on the way there or back. I believe the tire can be inflated with a provided temporary tire repair kit and driven for about 75 miles unless the hole in the tire is too large. It is a bad spot to be in since most tire vendors are clueless regarding the CL assuming they have the tire in stock.
Get a half inch torque wrench and a torque multiplier. That stuff is small enough to keep in the frunk. Nobody is going to have a tire in stock even if you have the tools to get the wheel off though.
I drove to many trackdays that were 100 mi one way. Never had a problem although I trailer the car now, as much because I can take all the gear I need than because I was worried about getting a flat.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:43 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

I thought I was buying a car that I can drive to the track spend a few hours giving it a workout and drive home. I guess it is not as simple as that.
No, for the most part, it is. I prefer a set of street wheels/tires and track wheels/tires though as I feel R compounds on the street are a complete waste/overkill. I reserve my R's for track days and usually drive on them to the track. Average track distance for me is 80 miles. Only had one incident where my track tires were rendered unusable (tread separation). Whenever I can, I try to have a Rennlister bring my spare set to track weekends just in case of the above. Luckily that weekend, my street wheels were in the back of Mooty's trailer so I salvaged the weekend.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

I understand the fun aspect. Sadly, I have never been mechanically inclined probably because I am mechanically challenged. That said, it does put a bit of a damper on the car given some of the issues one needs to address in order to make the most of the car.

dont worry.
put mpsc on, have dealer or a good tech put the wheels on. drive to track, flog it, have fun, drive it home.

the street car CL leaves much to be desired (i converted my 7.2 from CL to 5 lugs) but it is what it is. until you or i become CEO of PAG, i am afraid we just have to suck it up.

the cup car CL both 997 and 996 cups, are mUCH better. but then so are their air jacks. so much faster... but you can't take my cup cars to car and coffee

as to having a flat on your way to track... well , if that happens, then maybe it's not ur day. turn the ear bleeding stereo on, let the battery run out, while you wait for AAA to tow the car to the shop. and just relax.

my BMW once failed on fwy. i called AAA and snored away. the tow truck driver AND CHP had to knock on window profusely to wake me up. they must thought i died.... it was one of the best nap i had.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
dont worry.
put mpsc on, have dealer or a good tech put the wheels on. drive to track, flog it, have fun, drive it home.

the street car CL leaves much to be desired (i converted my 7.2 from CL to 5 lugs) but it is what it is. until you or i become CEO of PAG, i am afraid we just have to suck it up.

the cup car CL both 997 and 996 cups, are mUCH better. but then so are their air jacks. so much faster... but you can't take my cup cars to car and coffee

as to having a flat on your way to track... well , if that happens, then maybe it's not ur day. turn the ear bleeding stereo on, let the battery run out, while you wait for AAA to tow the car to the shop. and just relax.

my BMW once failed on fwy. i called AAA and snored away. the tow truck driver AND CHP had to knock on window profusely to wake me up. they must thought i died.... it was one of the best nap i had.
I LOVE your attitude!
Old 10-30-2013, 01:23 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So why would Porsche not use the cup car CL set up? It was well tested and with that center pin seems fool proof. Porsche doesn't do things for no reason. There must be a reason they did not use this system. Also in the various videos they don't show the application of the grease. Where does it go and what is the purpose for the grease.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:13 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by skuplist
So why would Porsche not use the cup car CL set up? It was well tested and with that center pin seems fool proof. Porsche doesn't do things for no reason. There must be a reason they did not use this system. Also in the various videos they don't show the application of the grease. Where does it go and what is the purpose for the grease.
Cup CL system is not tamper proof... Anyone can pull the red secondary pins by hand or loosen the nut with the right tool on the street... The street system had to be tamper proof so somebody doesn't lose a wheel in this manner...

The CL bolts have to be disassembled, cleaned and various surfaces have to be coated with optimol grease. The purpose of the grease is to prevent seizure of the bolts and to ensure internal friction doesn't result in wheels being tightened to less than specified torque...
Old 10-31-2013, 10:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
This is my biggest issue with these STUPID FRIGGIN/ center locks. What the hell is Porsche really thinking about forcing center locks on customers. Center Locks make ZERO and I truly keen ZERO sense!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
This is my biggest issue with these STUPID FRIGGIN/ center locks. What the hell is Porsche really thinking about forcing center locks on customers. Center Locks make ZERO and I truly keen ZERO sense!
Amen Brother!!

It's one of the 'features' that may keep me from buying the new GT3. I want the ability to use 18" wheels and I want 5-lug hubss. The 20" bling-tastic wheels and center lock hubs may kill it for me. I'm ambivalent about the RWS - wouldn't select it as an option, but not a deal killer. And I want PDK. Oops, did I say that out loud?

With all the delays, perhaps the prices on the MP4-12C will drop a bit more before I have to decide.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You know what I'd say 5 LUG !- no brainer- I've seen cars with centerlock failure.

Quick Reply: 5-Lug vs Center-lock Poll