no buckets v. buckets
sunroof v whoops nevermind, wrong vintage

You guys need more polls.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
OTOH, just to play the devils advocate, maybe it was unrealistic to buy a "race car", use it like a "race car" and then expect to not have to maintain it like a "race car".
Isn't the fact that since they started to sell Porsches, the true attraction to the brand was exactly that? You could drive your sports car to the track with your gear in the back seat, run all day long, and drive home without any over the top prep or specialized parts?

Isn't that one of the complaints people have about Corvettes, Vipers, Bmw's etc regarding taking them to the track? Stock parts and setups not being up to the task etc...
Old 06-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBat
Isn't the fact that since they started to sell Porsches, the true attraction to the brand was exactly that? You could drive your sports car to the track with your gear in the back seat, run all day long, and drive home without any over the top prep or specialized parts?

Isn't that one of the complaints people have about Corvettes, Vipers, Bmw's etc regarding taking them to the track? Stock parts and setups not being up to the task etc...
I think you might be overstating the historical facts. Increased track time has always meant parts replacement and additional maintenance. Sure, Porsches don't generally break down under occasional hard use, unlike other makes have stock setups that are viable at the track, don't leave you without brakes at the end of a long run, and are versatile enough to drive to and from an event. But serious, extended, hard core track use is a different animal and always involved more wear and tear, even in the old days.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:50 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

only purpose they ever had with CL system was to reduce number of aftermarket options for wheels people could use. it is entirely anti-customer initiative and nobody in sane state of mind would ever choose a single point of failure system against system with 5 equal points of failure.
plus one stupid CL wheel costs nearly as complete set of 4 5 lug wheels. just an another stupid stuff that adds up on top of other things why not to spend more money on a newer car and keep beating up old one.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,910 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBat

For me, as a DE driver/instructor, this is exactly the appeal of Porsches. I tell students Porsches are the best cars for substantial DE track use, and I hope the 991 GT3 won't change that.

I think you might be overstating the historical facts. Increased track time has always meant parts replacement and additional maintenance. Sure, Porsches don't generally break down under occasional hard use, unlike other makes have stock setups that are viable at the track, don't leave you without brakes at the end of a long run, and are versatile enough to drive to and from an event. But serious, extended, hard core track use is a different animal and always involved more wear and tear, even in the old days.
True, but Porsches have historically been able to take the track beating relatively well (so far), whereas I often see cars of other makes spending extra time in the paddock because of things going wrong. As far as parts and maintenance, it's mostly a matter of doing the usual things (pads, rotors, fluids, tires, etc.) more often, not fixing things that break.

Your experience is mainly with autox, not track, correct?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manifold
True, but Porsches have historically been able to take the track beating relatively well (so far), whereas I often see cars of other makes spending extra time in the paddock because of things going wrong. As far as parts and maintenance, it's mostly a matter of doing the usual things (pads, rotors, fluids, tires, etc.) more often, not fixing things that break.

Your experience is mainly with autox, not track, correct?
No question that Porsches have a justified reputation for being more durable. That's not at issue. My original point was simply that the harder you use your car, Porsche or otherwise, the greater the need for increased maintenance and the greater the likelihood of failure, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Not sure why it's relevant, but I tracked my Lotus Europa extensively in the '70's. Once kids and other responsibilities got in the way I turned to autox as a less time consuming fix for my speed jones. Even in autox, though, I've seen my share of breakdowns and failures. Respectfully, did your question have a point?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

No question that Porsches have a justified reputation for being more durable. That's not at issue. My original point was simply that the harder you use your car, Porsche or otherwise, the greater the need for increased maintenance and the greater the likelihood of failure, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Not sure why it's relevant, but I tracked my Lotus Europa extensively in the '70's. Once kids and other responsibilities got in the way I turned to autox as a less time consuming fix for my speed jones. Even in autox, though, I've seen my share of breakdowns and failures. Respectfully, did your question have a point?
My point is that if you do a lot of track days, with a mix of cars present, you clearly and firsthand see the superior durability of Porsches for that use. With the GT3 purportedly being Porsche's most track-oriented car, we have every right to expect that the 991 GT3 should excel in that regard.

CL wheels are already a strike against it for that purpose. Let's hope the RWS holds up. Lack of bucket seats is simply unacceptable, regardless of whether their availability was delayed on the 997 GT3 (two wrongs don't make a right, people/organizations are supposed to learn from mistakes). I'll grant that PDK has application on the track, and not having manual isn't necessarily a dealbreaker for me.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

My point is that if you do a lot of track days, with a mix of cars present, you clearly and firsthand see the superior durability of Porsches for that use. With the GT3 purportedly being Porsche's most track-oriented car, we have every right to expect that the 991 GT3 should excel in that regard.
Nothing I've said is at odds with anything you are saying. From all I've ever experienced, read, or heard in 30 years of ownership, Porsches are a cut above in terms of reliability and you're right, the 991 GT3 should be no exception. I'm also not defending CL's per se.

My only point was regarding people's expectation that they could buy essentially a street car (even an exceptionally durable one), use it like a race car, and not expect to have to maintain it like a race car. CL's, Porsches, or what-have-you notwithstanding, that's simply self-evident.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Nothing I've said is at odds with anything you are saying. From all I've ever experienced, read, or heard in 30 years of ownership, Porsches are a cut above in terms of reliability and you're right, the 991 GT3 should be no exception. I'm also not defending CL's per se.

My only point was regarding people's expectation that they could buy essentially a street car (even an exceptionally durable one), use it like a race car, and not expect to have to maintain it like a race car. CL's, Porsches, or what-have-you notwithstanding, that's simply self-evident.
For mutliple reasons, I don't expect it to be used as a race car or perform like one. But it should still be suited for use as a heavy-duty track car by experienced drivers (eg, 25+ track days a year, driven at 8.5/10ths+). I suspect that most of the people complaining about the car are experienced and active track guys, and IMO their opinion should carry extra weight given the GT3's purported use (track videos, R-comp tires, 'ring lap times, etc.). If, instead, the intended market is road guys who fantasize about tracking the car, Porsche should admit that and stop taunting the real track guys.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:01 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I voted for 5 lugs because they're what I'm familiar with and they require no special attention, tools, or expertise. That said, from what I've read, Porsche have improved the CL design to near Cup car levels and concerns over design shortfall should be a thing of the past.

Also from what I've read, although the failures have been well documented, they involve a very small percentage of CL wheels and these seem to be related to improper maintenance and installation proceedures rather than structural issues. I remember one thread a few months back where someone posted pics of unusual wear and described torquing problems and everyone freaked out for a while about how there was another CL disaster in the making until an experienced poster noted that the wheels had actually been installed incorrectly. Most users have said that they have experienced zero problems.

Now before y'all jump down my throat, I get that the more complicated procedures around CL's aren't well suited to a DE track environment and 5 lugs would be much more forgiving in that regard. AP himself said that Porsche underestimated the way people used the wheels and presumably that's one reason why they have made changes in the design. I also get that people are righteously upset that maintenance/replacement protocols were not spelled out for the previous gen CL's. OTOH, just to play the devils advocate, maybe it was unrealistic to buy a "race car", use it like a "race car" and then expect to not have to maintain it like a "race car".

The issue of choice is a valid one. I don't know the specific design considerations that are involved but on the surface it sure seems reasonable that 5 lug wheels could be an option for those who want them.

As to your specific question, Chris, for someone who will not be tracking their car extensively or at all, the new CL's will likely never cause them a problem. They do look good, are a bit lighter, and I can see where 10% of the voters might choose them for those reasons alone without fear of having to live "on the edge". Doesn't really rise to the level of a wtf, IMHO.

And now, to the bunker.........
No need to bunker down Mike, I won't be flaming you but once you peel away the layers upon layers of spin from Porsche surrounding CLs, it boils down to the following few facts:

-they had a system that was near idiot proof and maintenance free with the exception of wear and tear etc
- they replaced it with what should have been at the very least equivalent, thus an upgrade, not a downgrade... the new system has had multiple failures through its lack of foolproofness, poor engineering and complexity.
- it was decided 3 YEARS after the car's release that their system is inadequate and requires significant maintenance... Parts that were designed to last years were now given a 4200mile life.
- being customer focused (NOT!!), rather than correct the system and fix the problem, they passed the buck and the huge burden onto customers...
- these are the facts, the rest is BS to justify an unjustifiable position.

If we'd been told 3 years ago that we were buying cars with cup car maintenance, we could have (i) sucked it up in full knowledge of what we're getting into and proceeded or (ii) walked away and bought 997.1s or earlier car...

Unlike us, at least the guys buying cup cars know what they are getting themselves into...
Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

A lot of people use 997.1 gt3's like race cars and they arent officially asked to replace the 5 lug hubs every 4200 track miles. It's bs to essentially say "the cl's are fine, you guys are just using them harder than we thought". It's a way for them to wash their hands of a design that has shortcomings, a design they must've initially thought was innovative and superior and in the end was not up to the task. And they wont step up and say so.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

For mutliple reasons, I don't expect it to be used as a race car or perform like one. But it should still be suited for use as a heavy-duty track car by experienced drivers (eg, 25+ track days a year, driven at 8.5/10ths+). I suspect that most of the people complaining about the car are experienced and active track guys, and IMO their opinion should carry extra weight given the GT3's purported use (track videos, R-comp tires, 'ring lap times, etc.). If, instead, the intended market is road guys who fantasize about tracking the car, Porsche should admit that and stop taunting the real track guys.
Most of the guys complaining about the car have never even laid eyes on it, so regardless of experience I tend to take any complaints with a grain of salt at this point. The only known data point of concern is the CL's and those have been improved, although I agree that 5 bolt wheels are more practical.

I don't know if the new car will or won't be suited for 25+ track days a year, and I suspect no one else on this forum does either. I know a car that's tracked that much will be subject to more wear and tear and require more attention than one that's tracked 5 days a year; can we at least agree on that?

Regardless, without feedback from a car that no one has driven yet, we're pretty much discussing this subject absent any data and with nothing but ifs and hypotheticals.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911rox
No need to bunker down Mike, I won't be flaming you but once you peel away the layers upon layers of spin from Porsche surrounding CLs, it boils down to the following few facts:

-they had a system that was near idiot proof and maintenance free with the exception of wear and tear etc
- they replaced it with what should have been at the very least equivalent, thus an upgrade, not a downgrade... the new system has had multiple failures through its lack of foolproofness, poor engineering and complexity.
- it was decided 3 YEARS after the car's release that their system is inadequate and requires significant maintenance... Parts that were designed to last years were now given a 4200mile life.
- being customer focused (NOT!!), rather than correct the system and fix the problem, they passed the buck and the huge burden onto customers...
- these are the facts, the rest is BS to justify an unjustifiable position.

If we'd been told 3 years ago that we were buying cars with cup car maintenance, we could have (i) sucked it up in full knowledge of what we're getting into and proceeded or (ii) walked away and bought 997.1s or earlier car...

Unlike us, at least the guys buying cup cars know what they are getting themselves into...
Originally Posted by paver
A lot of people use 997.1 gt3's like race cars and they arent officially asked to replace the 5 lug hubs every 4200 track miles. It's bs to essentially say "the cl's are fine, you guys are just using them harder than we thought". It's a way for them to wash their hands of a design that has shortcomings, a design they must've initially thought was innovative and superior and in the end was not up to the task. And they wont step up and say so.
Fair points. The whole CL thing could obviously have been handled better. I still don't think casual racers and street drivers are taking their lives in their hands and that was the point of my original post on this subject. But it's obviously more complex than that and I don't mean to trivialize the issues.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 AM
kristob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 29 Posts

5 lug. Have no love for the CL's on my RS. Don't want them on a 991 GT3 either unless they are Cup spec, gun on gun off. 5 lug wheel changes are simple and idiot proof.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:51 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bingo.

What real talk guys think of the car should and even though some won't admit does actually carry more weight.

Except for those who are only interested in bench racing or cars and coffee.

Hence zero videos from the ones making jabs at people for wanting a manual that makes the car inept in their view. All talk.

Quick Reply: 5-Lug vs Center-lock Poll