Sponsored by:

991 GT3 - just a sportier Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Could all be correct..but have you considered another option as well? The option that the new 991 GT3 engine will not be used in RSR and CUP? What then..still a real GT3 then..?

Only time will tell..and until there is no final answer to that question - no sale of a 991 Gt3 to me. What worries me, if your way of thinking is correct, Porsche would have confirmed this already..to avoid all this speculation and uncertainty..but they havent done it..why?
+1
That's what the 960 will be doing, since it has the engine in the right place (and a V8) for racing.
IMO, the GT3 heritage has been sold out as jewelry.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could all be correct..but have you considered another option as well? The option that the new 991 GT3 engine will not be used in RSR and CUP? What then..still a real GT3 then..?

Only time will tell..and until there is no final answer to that question - no sale of a 991 Gt3 to me. What worries me, if your way of thinking is correct, Porsche would have confirmed this already..to avoid all this speculation and uncertainty..but they havent done it..why?
Yes I have...For me, weither or not there is a direct link to the Cup/RSR however one may define that, I am interested in this car based on it's own merit...

One can also make an argument that this car was designed by the very engineering team that is responsible for the race cars thereby establishing a direct link to motorsport...It's all in your perspective...

To answer the second part to your question; PAG is probably playing it close to the vest. No need to tip your hand to the competition before you need too...JMO

Last edited by Conekilr; 06-06-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: To Answer second part of ?
Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 PM
kristob
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
To me, in current configuration it should be called a GTS
I could also argue that a C2S manual is lighter and sportier than the GT3..
You speak the gospel. I am on the list for a 991 '3, but the C2S is looking very appealing. Manual, 5 bolt, weight savings. Just needs brakes, center rad and 19" track wheels. Any way you shake it, the new chassis is great.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven Carreras. I've tracked a Targa extensively. The GT3 is a totally different car. The engine performance, the transmission and the suspension all conspire to make it unique. The 991 GT3 will retain the same set of advantages over the 991 Carrera. The 991 GTS will arrive in a couple of years and slot between the two but it won't drive like a GT3.

They'll be racing the DFI engine next year or the year after.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:52 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

As to your first question; no point in debating a hypothetical.

On the second one, I don't expect that Porsche is going to release information on strategic planning for their race program or anything else just to quell the speculation of a bunch of guys on an internet forum. Sometimes we take ourselves too seriously.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76

Those are all gone! Is it a better 991? Yes! It is a faster, sportier, better suspension and better brakes Carrera, is it a better GT3? or actually can be called a GT3? Based on what's on paper, I'd say no.
Luckily you're not in charge.. Who cares? If its a great car and you enjoy driving it, buy it. If not, don't. Buy something else, like one of the 996 or 997 GT3s available. Question, why haven't you done so already, instead of all the time hand wringing and wondering whether Porsche should be "allowed" to call their car a GT3?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:17 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Luckily you're not in charge.. Who cares? If its a great car and you enjoy driving it, buy it. If not, don't. Buy something else, like one of the 996 or 997 GT3s available. Question, why haven't you done so already, instead of all the time hand wringing and wondering whether Porsche should be "allowed" to call their car a GT3?
"who cares?" -- Obviously a lot of Porsche enthusiasts do...

There's numerous reasons why people choose not to purchase used cars or at minimum prefer to buy new.

Last edited by destaccado; 06-07-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by destaccado
"who cares?" -- Obviously a lot of Porsche enthusiasts do...

There's numerous reasons why people choose not to purchase used cars or at minimum prefer to buy new.
Oh OK, I see the problem. You cant buy a new 997 anymore. There are some available with very few miles and CPO. If you get a 2011 you have till 2017 under warranty. Or you could pray for the RS to come in manual whenever that comes out. Failing that, you are well and truly hosed.

BTW I do consider myself to be an enthusiast - my first P car purchase was an 86 Carrera. Back when there weren't any GT cars, or PDK, or RWS - simpler times .. What did we b!tch about back then? Oh, cars were becoming too big, too refined, air con, electric seats, heaters etc. They weren't real Porsches compared the 70's ones. I guess the more things change the more they stay the same. Then I got a 964 and a few years later - horror of horrors - a water cooled Porsche - blasphemy I say.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:28 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Oh OK, I see the problem. You cant buy a new 997 anymore. There are some available with very few miles and CPO. If you get a 2011 you have till 2017 under warranty. Or you could pray for the RS to come in manual whenever that comes out. Failing that, you are well and truly hosed.

BTW I do consider myself to be an enthusiast - my first P car purchase was an 86 Carrera. Back when there weren't any GT cars, or PDK, or RWS - simpler times .. What did we b!tch about back then? Oh, cars were becoming too big, too refined, air con, electric seats, heaters etc. They weren't real Porsches compared the 70's ones. I guess the more things change the more they stay the same. Then I got a 964 and a few years later - horror of horrors - a water cooled Porsche - blasphemy I say.
I beg to differ on 1 point, you couldn't call the abortion in the 86 AC. That would imply it actually worked in anything over 80 degrees.

Peter
Old 06-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I beg to differ on 1 point, you couldn't call the abortion in the 86 AC. That would imply it actually worked in anything over 80 degrees.

Peter
On my '84 I just removed the compressor, eliminated the parasitic drag, and saved about 20lbs of dead weight off the *** end...
Old 06-07-2013, 02:48 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold

Peter
That's funny. I remember being in Palm Springs and it was 110 and the AC was blowing out hot air. Could never quite handle anything over around 80 too true...
Old 06-07-2013, 05:24 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
On the second one, I don't expect that Porsche is going to release information on strategic planning for their race program or anything else just to quell the speculation of a bunch of guys on an internet forum. Sometimes we take ourselves too seriously.
Amen
Old 06-09-2013, 05:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Lets just put our discussion aside for a moment and enjoy this "just a faster 911" in it's element...

Gets good at the 1:10 min mark ;-)

Old 06-09-2013, 05:48 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Lets just put our discussion aside for a moment and enjoy this "just a faster 911" in it's element...
That's a sporty carrera!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:57 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
That's a sporty carrera!
Actually, that's not the sporty Carrera; it's A REAL GT3 with A REAL MEZGER engine.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 - just a sportier Carrera?