Sponsored by:

Killing the PDK

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Anyone who finds driving PDK on the track to be "boring" or "less exciting" than driving a MT is definitely
driving FAR too slowly. As Walter Roehl has said, for the good track driver, it simply raises the bar, lowers the lap times and elevates the challenges to a different and higher level.
In 40 years of track driving and racing, I have never driven "The Perfect Lap" and, believe me, neither have any of us. PDK will brings us all one step closer to it - but, unless we are driving and racing professionally, we will never reach it. How can this possibly be boring??????
Daily driving a fast car in traffic - Now that is really boring. So for you MT addicts, the solution is easy.
For $10K used or $25K new, buy yourself a small, nimble, underpowered DD driver
Terrific post! Says it all.

BTW, in the interview above Hatz says if they made a mistake with PDK only for the GT3 then the RS will be a manual. How will they decide if they made a mistake?
Old 06-01-2013, 12:40 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

I already own a 997.2 gt3 - - thanks for the advice though

Originally Posted by Michael246
So buy a 997 and stop complaining!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:53 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The pdk isn't boring on the track......but it is on the street, where 90% of your driving occurs.
I traded my first 997tt in on a 997.2tts, at first I used manual mode all the time. After about a month I was just in D commuting with the other drones, 8 mos later I was bored to tears with it, had to change something. Now I'm back in a manual turbo.
I suspect a similar phenomena will happen with the 3. Initial hoopla and "gots to have it", followed by boredom and ultimately trade ins a yr or so later.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Anyone who finds driving PDK on the track to be "boring" or "less exciting" than driving a MT is definitely
driving FAR too slowly. As Walter Roehl has said, for the good track driver, it simply raises the bar, lowers the lap times and elevates the challenges to a different and higher level.
In 40 years of track driving and racing, I have never driven "The Perfect Lap" and, believe me, neither have any of us. PDK will brings us all one step closer to it - but, unless we are driving and racing professionally, we will never reach it. How can this possibly be boring??????
Daily driving a fast car in traffic - Now that is really boring. So for you MT addicts, the solution is easy.
For $10K used or $25K new, buy yourself a small, nimble, underpowered DD driver

That in itself is a self contradictory statement as the fast guys in manuals are still going to be the fast guys with pdk. And most of the fast guys are the ones who think pdk is boring because they dont require it to go fast.

I would say its the exact opposite of what you claim.

Going fast in a manual is much more challenging because you have to do more things right to be fast.

Nothing that makes driving easier makes it more challenging. What do you expect Walter to say?
Old 06-01-2013, 01:29 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael246
So buy a 997 and stop complaining!
???? Really ????

Where do you come from ?

As you're new here, let me tell you something, we usually don't act with hostility towards other members, specially 'The new kid on the block'.
This is not an import forum full of kids arguing about their cold air intake.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:41 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
Can't blame Porsche? Does anyone on this forum run a business?
And if you had an opportunity to sell more widgets would you say no?
In effect this is what the PDK in PDK-S does, ie bring new customers into the bucket. And the S in PDK-S keep the old ones interested.

Yeah I hear everyone saying they are cannibalizing the old ones but really what other choice in the market place do you have? And don't say Aston Martin, lotus, viper or corvette, please.
I hope to be proven wrong but as I see it Porsche will lose a big proportion of their enthusiast crowd who currently update/add with each release or two and spend **** loads on consumables and wear/tear parts, they will redirect wannabes out of Carrera Ss and turbos into the new easy to DD big thing and add insult to injury by scoring a few of those enthusiast owners (note: sarcasm!) who buy lambos and ferraris to boulevard cruise 3 times a year... A very dignified way for a GT car to exist!...

in summary, loss of those who actually use their cars and give P some service dollars, redistribution of other existing customers from other models and the gaining of tools with too many dollars and no ability nor appreciation for the brand. Yep all GT3s will sell, the question is what kind of clientele following will it bring to the brand...

Originally Posted by wanna911
That in itself is a self contradictory statement as the fast guys in manuals are still going to be the fast guys with pdk. And most of the fast guys are the ones who think pdk is boring because they dont require it to go fast.

I would say its the exact opposite of what you claim.

Going fast in a manual is much more challenging because you have to do more things right to be fast.

Nothing that makes driving easier makes it more challenging. What do you expect Walter to say?
Exactly my thoughts...
Old 06-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The pdk isn't boring on the track......but it is on the street, where 90% of your driving occurs.
I traded my first 997tt in on a 997.2tts, at first I used manual mode all the time. After about a month I was just in D commuting with the other drones, 8 mos later I was bored to tears with it, had to change something.
With respect and tongue partially in cheek, TTSurgeon, it's not the fault of the gearbox that you got lazy. I know I'm repeating myself but having driven manuals for 40 years, I've had a PDK in my C2S for the last 4. Drive it in manual 99% of the time, keep finding new ways to use it to advantage, the opposite of bored. I expect PDK-S in the GT3 to be exponentially better. As Herr Hatz says, a huge step: as though PDK skipped a generation of development.

This thread is like all the others on this subject; totally devoid of personal knowledge of the new car and gearbox and based completely on speculation, assumption, and guesswork. There's not a single argument posted here that can be backed by first hand factual experience with the new drivetrain, including my own. It's another discussion in a vacuum, from how boring the car will be to drive to how it will offer no challenge, but I suppose it gives us all something to do. Carry on.....
Old 06-01-2013, 02:37 PM
wanna911
Race Car

The very first third party article im aware of, the journalists still would have rather had a manual. Thats pretty first hand. They went into it as many of us would, and still left wanting a manual.

I guess AP cant control what everybody says. They surely did not find the pdk more involving than a manual.

But you can keep hope alive as long as you choose to ignore the obvious. Pdk is not as fun. Period.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

The very first third party article im aware of, the journalists still would have rather had a manual. Thats pretty first hand. They went into it as many of us would, and still left wanting a manual.

I guess AP cant control what everybody says. They surely did not find the pdk more involving than a manual.

But you can keep hope alive as long as you choose to ignore the obvious. Pdk is not as fun. Period.
Did that info come from a "third party article" or "pretty first hand"? Can't be both. It wasn't "journalists", it was a single writer who had previously expressed a bias for MT's when he tested the 458, commenting on a preview drive, not a test. Nothing wrong with that, we all have our biases, but it's hardly definitive.

Look, I get that you have your personal perspective on this and I have no expectation of changing it. But when you say that "surely they did not find the PDK more involving", you're simply guessing. I know and have corresponded with people who most definitely had their mind changed by their experiences with PDK-S.

More important, I don't have to "keep hope alive" or "ignore the obvious". I have 4 years of real first hand experience to fall back on. My PDK car is as fun to drive as any MT Porsche I've owned; different in some ways, but just as much fun. I expect PDK-S mated to a 9K RPM motor will be spectacularly entertaining. You have your subjective opinion, that's mine. Period.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 06-01-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-2013, 04:20 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Did that info come from a "third party article" or "pretty first hand"? Can't be both. It wasn't "journalists", it was a single writer who had previously expressed a bias for MT's when he tested the 458, commenting on a preview drive, not a test. Nothing wrong with that, we all have our biases, but it's hardly definitive.

Look, I get that you have your personal perspective on this and I have no expectation of changing it. But when you say that "surely they did not find the PDK more involving", you're simply guessing. I know and have corresponded with people who most definitely had their mind changed by their experiences with PDK-S.

More important, I don't have to "keep hope alive" or "ignore the obvious". I have 4 years of real first hand experience to fall back on. My PDK car is as fun to drive as any MT Porsche I've owned; different in some ways, but just as much fun. I expect PDK-S mated to a 9K RPM motor will be spectacularly entertaining. You have your subjective opinion, that's mine. Period.
It came first hand from someone who doesn't work for Porsche and has no one looking over their shoulder, isn't on payroll and doesn't have a script to follow. And it's certainly better than "sources" who claim praise from Porsche test drivers, or people who are on payroll saying what they have to say for a billion dollar company who runs their show. This makes it an actual FREE opinion unlike the others.

Common sense tells anyone who isn't ignoring it that if he felt the PDK-S more involving than a manual, when that is the SOLE reason people don't want PDK, then he wouldn't have left wanting a manual.

And the rest of us have many many years of driving manual that no flappy paddle transmission can replace. Ferrari's single clutch was as close as it got, and even that is gone. No one really cares how long you have drive PDK, it's not going to change our mind nor does it make your opinion any more valid.

You are just going to have to accept that.

Originally Posted by 911rox
I hope to be proven wrong but as I see it Porsche will lose a big proportion of their enthusiast crowd who currently update/add with each release or two and spend **** loads on consumables and wear/tear parts, they will redirect wannabes out of Carrera Ss and turbos into the new easy to DD big thing and add insult to injury by scoring a few of those enthusiast owners (note: sarcasm!) who buy lambos and ferraris to boulevard cruise 3 times a year... A very dignified way for a GT car to exist!...

in summary, loss of those who actually use their cars and give P some service dollars, redistribution of other existing customers from other models and the gaining of tools with too many dollars and no ability nor appreciation for the brand. Yep all GT3s will sell, the question is what kind of clientele following will it bring to the brand...
Agree, Porsche is replacing faithful Porsche enthusiasts with people who don't really have an affinity for any brand in particular. I've said before, the hype for the 991 will be strong at first, but the client base they are chasing will not stand the test of time.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:36 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I have to agree that it can't be, no way, by any means more involving.
I find myself being unbiased, and I have no brand loyalty, besides the fact that Porsche used to and still does produce the best product in the market in my opinion and for the use that I have.
I had, tested, drove a lot of the late high end cars, and I always find myself going back to Porsche.
The car that lasted a long time in my garage was a GTR, but only as a street car use in mind as they are worthless at the track, and at the moment I got a C63 the Gtr collected dust for months without being even started.
So yes I have experience with PDK or dual clutch cars and don't love it.
I'm willing to learn the new GT3 and hoping it will be great, but I can't see myself bring in love with a PDK car.
For street I'll have a slush box from AMG, for track a manual Porsche.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:45 PM
TomTom77
Racer

No disrespect to the Road & Track article (which clearly wasn't a test), but I'm not yet worried unless a proper all-out test has been conducted by an objective, non-prejudiced journalist, who can really drive and has a very outspoken opinion... (even if that means being banned by an Italian manufacturer who's go a horse in it's logo too)

Let's bring on Chris Harris. If he assesses the car to be boring, nannied, overly digitalized, too heavy and having lost its GT3 appeal, I'll be devastated. But I doubt it, based on Porsche past GT3 performance only.

I accept that my position is highly conjectured. But so are the opposite ones, I think...
Old 06-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default mt

It does raise the bar and allows those who are perpetually challenged with the quick sequence of heel n toe with the speed and precision required for trail braking and throttle steer out of a corner. Mastering this makes you fast and can also ruin your gearbox and synchros if you don't know what your doing!! Pdk removes this athletic requirement and you can focus on less things thereby improving your lap times.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

No one really cares how long you have drive PDK, it's not going to change our mind nor does it make your opinion any more valid.

You are just going to have to accept that.
wanna911, you're trying to create a straw man to knock down. I already said I had no expectation of changing your mind. I also never said my opinion was more valid than anyone elses, which FWIW, cuts both ways.

The reason I brought up my experience with PDK wasn't to prove that PDK was better. It was because you said I was relying on hope and ignoring the obvious that a MT is unquestionably more fun. It's not more obvious at all, to me, and I have a basis for saying so.

To use your own words, your opinion isn't any more valid than mine either. We have a subjective disagreement and I'm perfectly capable of accepting that, but I have my doubts about whether those on your side of this conversation can, since they are invariably the ones who resurrect this poor dead horse.

Please prove me wrong so that we can move on to discussing something that hasn't already been beaten senseless.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:27 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy stalemate to all.

Quick Reply: Killing the PDK