Sponsored by:

GT3 Allocation Available at Porsche of Monterey

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
you guys (frayed) skipping sport chrono? Didn't have it on my last one, plan to skip again. Looks better this time around, looks great without it too.
I've got nothing against the wart, but the only reason I got SC in my Carrera was to get the additional performance modes with PDK. SC in the GT3 is just the timing feature so I think I'll pass.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

The timing shows up in the main console as well as in the clock. The whole point of the car is to time yourself. $400 compared to the price of the car with options is miniscule. Also, I believe it is an option that will help in resale.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:25 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
The timing shows up in the main console as well as in the clock. The whole point of the car is to time yourself. $400 compared to the price of the car with options is miniscule. Also, I believe it is an option that will help in resale.
It has done the opposite in the past in regards to resale. Many repeat gt3/RS buyers do not want SC aka dash wart. Yes, it is more integrated now, but still is not all that pretty and is basically useless, imo. Every other 911 variant attains a level of performance benefit from SC. GT3/RSs do not.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

There are better ways to time yourself including any number of GPS systems like the AIM Solo that are in the same price range as SC and offer more features. But I'm not trying to talk anyone out of it: TEHO.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The list at my dealer was longer for the RS than GT3.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

At my dealer it is identical for both. The list for the Turbo/S is longer than the 3/RS put together......
Old 06-07-2013, 07:34 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not agree.

The backlash against the wart in 997 circles rivaled centerlocks on this forum. LOL. But that was before your time.

Buying options with the hope of better resale is a fools game IMO.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:32 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Interesting to learn ab the SC being a potential resale negative.. I basically don't see the point of it but have spec'd it purely because I am concerned ab resale and for just $400 it's an extra dial on dash which looks cool :-)

Ill admit, I'm a total poser, meaning that I really look at aesthetics. I may do a few track days, but I'm buying this car for the experience of driving it on the road, and as such, I'm happy the calipers on the standard brakes are red to match my chosen color.. Yellow would just clash. I think I would be a bit to scared to go all-out with this car for fear of binning it... I do however push it on my track bike.. But it's only $8-$9k, not $150k with an as-yet unclear warranty from Porsche if I track it.

Laugh all you want now, but not everyone is really into the exact weight of a seat.. Some just really dig the red contrasting stitching :-)

Can't wait for this thing... Approx 12 months from now it will be mine.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:53 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Interesting to learn ab the SC being a potential resale negative.. I basically don't see the point of it but have spec'd it purely because I am concerned ab resale and for just $400 it's an extra dial on dash which looks cool :-)

Ill admit, I'm a total poser, meaning that I really look at aesthetics. I may do a few track days, but I'm buying this car for the experience of driving it on the road, and as such, I'm happy the calipers on the standard brakes are red to match my chosen color.. Yellow would just clash. I think I would be a bit to scared to go all-out with this car for fear of binning it... I do however push it on my track bike.. But it's only $8-$9k, not $150k with an as-yet unclear warranty from Porsche if I track it.

Laugh all you want now, but not everyone is really into the exact weight of a seat.. Some just really dig the red contrasting stitching :-)

Can't wait for this thing... Approx 12 months from now it will be mine.
No laughing from me. As much as I like to save some weight, I still may choose ****. Just doesn't seem right saying that, cause I'm really a leg man, but it's easier to type, lol. Not sure the $2,650 value is there for me and I'm adding weight to a car I'd rather keep lighter. Anyway, I get what you're saying. I love the red deviated stitch with red belts, which match calipers. You have this option with the standard seats as well of course. I would expect Porsche to have yellow deviated stitching (Exclusive Options) as they previously have, later. Not that I am going to get PCCBs and yellow stitch. I really dig that color combo if done right though, yellow calipers, belts, stitch on black interior, white exterior.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
I would expect Porsche to have yellow deviated stitching (Exclusive Options) as they previously have, later. Not that I am going to get PCCBs and yellow stitch. I really dig that color combo if done right though, yellow calipers, belts, stitch on black interior, white exterior.
Don't count on it anytime soon. Porsche continues to have problem coordinating with their suppliers the type & color of their deviating 'synthetic thread' to use in their interiors, especially their seats. I think they will stick to ONLY those two interior deviating stitching colors - 'White/Silver type' and 'Red' - for the the 991 gt3. They might offer something different for the 991 gt3 RS...but we will have to wait for that!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Colorado

Quick Reply: GT3 Allocation Available at Porsche of Monterey