Sponsored by:

Andreas Preuninger interview - Interesting point of view from 2011

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 05:49 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Andreas Preuninger interview - Interesting point of view from 2011

Watching this piece of interview, made me wonder what actually changed in Porsche's perspective of what a GT car should be.

Enjoy and please post your comments

On this 'Part 2' Please pay attention to his impressions about the PDK .... mind boggling

Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Hasn't this been beaten to death.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:36 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Not yet .... at least not to me as this was the first time I watched these videos...
The fact that they did what they did, yes, beaten to death.
Am I satisfied ? No
Did I swallowed ? No

Hypocrisy at it's max.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:58 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

"Whichever way the wind blows..."
Old 05-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Nothing new here and yeah it has been beaten to death. We all know AP admitted that while he had previously preferred a MT, when they came up with a superior PDK that changed his thinking. Why is that so hard to understand?

There's a big difference between hypocrisy and keeping an open mind to new things; an engineer, in particular, can't afford to be married to old paradigms. If we were all chained to our old perceptions and statements, nothing would ever change.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:30 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

No hypocrisy ?

So what about the driver involvement, feeling and electronics gimmicks. One thing is open mind, another thing is being blind to his hypocrisy.
I'm not blind or narrow minded, that's why I have a deposit on a 991 GT3, but will most likely pass.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
No hypocrisy ?

So what about the driver involvement, feeling and electronics gimmicks. One thing is open mind, another thing is being blind to his hypocrisy.
I'm not blind or narrow minded, that's why I have a deposit on a 991 GT3, but will most likely pass.
All I'm saying is that it's perfectly possible that AP may feel that while the old version of PDK didn't meet his criteria for involvement, feeling, and lack of gimmicks, the new one does. You might not agree (once you've tried it or gotten more info from reviewers) but it's not hypocritical to change one's mind after being presented with new information.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:16 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VW happened.

Simple fact is that AP has a new person signing his check. He is full of it about how this pdk changed his mind. He simply has no choice. Hard to fault him, its not his fault he got screwed over by the VW takeover.

He must show conviction or be ousted. Its in plain site.

VW are the biggest pushers of dual clutch on the planet. They had no reason to offer manual on the base and not gt3 other than vw agenda.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911
He is full of it about how this pdk changed his mind. He simply has no choice. Hard to fault him, its not his fault he got screwed over by the VW takeover.

VW are the biggest pushers of dual clutch on the planet. They had no reason to offer manual on the base and not gt3 other than vw agenda.
Your POV on why he changed his mind is speculation; you're basically calling him a liar, absent any proof other than your opinion. As to your other point, clearly VW isn't against manuals as they authorized development of a new one for the Carrera, and offer them on the Boxster/Cayman and R8.

It is possible that within the scope of the GT3 project, AP and the development team had to choose one gearbox option and they chose a new version of PDK. In fact, it's not only possible, that's what AP said happened. Some may not like that choice, but to question the man's integrity because you don't agree with him, is unfair.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:09 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

I believe it has to be with warranty, and admittance of new owners that couldn't drive a manual transmission.

He admits that Porsche know about the number of people who track their car etc .... It again shows one more reason why they don't problems.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Your POV on why he changed his mind is speculation; you're basically calling him a liar, absent any proof other than your opinion. As to your other point, clearly VW isn't against manuals as they authorized development of a new one for the Carrera, and offer them on the Boxster/Cayman and R8.

It is possible that within the scope of the GT3 project, AP and the development team had to choose one gearbox option and they chose a new version of PDK. In fact, it's not only possible, that's what AP said happened. Some may not like that choice, but to question the man's integrity because you don't agree with him, is unfair.
He made himself a liar, not me. If you take everything you hear at face value, man, I really feel for you.

What did you expect him to say? "They twisted my arm until I gave in to the PDK"? You couldn't possibly be that naive. There is absolutely zero chance we would get an answer from AP that said he doesn't like the PDK in the GT3 but had to do it anyways because VW said so. ZERO. He will sell what he wants and backtrack on his previous statements like a proper politician.

Listen to what he said regarding PDK and why not, and you will see that the PDK-S does not solve those problems.

- It's not a pure motorsport gearbox
- It does not save any weight
- It does not prevent added weight to the back of the car
- It does not give customers additional means of control and connection with a clutch.

That was pretty much every comment he made with regards to why manual. PDK-S only solves the being able to do a doughnut easily. This makes him categorically a liar. In his own words.

Buy that nonsense if you want to. I'll pass.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

What ever it takes to make a it sell. Not the first time they have tried to tell us how good it is.

AP's view can't be taken as unbiased. Though I think everyone whether they are for pdk or not agrees that PDK is easier and faster then manual.
Maybe given that I have avg skill and that I find it is so much harder to drive manual perfectly that I come to know for myself from driving them both back to back that the manual has way more involvement and that forced involvement give me a satisfaction that a modern automatic will never give me.

Taken from the 996 tt tiptronic, later 997 tt tiptronic was faster then the manual.
source

After driving the Turbo with a manual transmission, I stepped into the Turbo with the Tiptronic. Personally, I prefer a traditional manual transmission in a car like this, but the new Tiptronic S in the Turbo has made believers out of many who have driven it, including Hurley Haywood who said he preferred the Tiptronic to the manual transmission.

The new Tiptronic S can be shifted manually by pressing on the up/down buttons on the steering wheel spokes, but Hurley advised me not to use them – just let the transmission do the shifting. In many ways, the Tiptronic imitates how a driver would shift with a manual transmission. When accelerating hard, the Tiptronic waits until the engine reaches redline before shifting, and won’t automatically shift up if you coast for a few moments. As you brake, the transmission shifts down one gear at a time, anticipating the need for more engine revs as you exit the next corner.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of the Tiptronic is that it allows the driver to keep both hands on the wheel which allows him/her to drive more smoothly and more safely. The driver can focus on steering and braking – in racing this can reduce lap times, and on the road, it increases safety by reducing the number of tasks the driver has to concentrate on.

Porsche’s own track tests at Mission indicated that the Tiptronic-equipped Turbo will post faster lap times than the manual-equipped Turbo.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

He made himself a liar, not me. If you take everything you hear at face value, man, I really feel for you.

What did you expect him to say? "They twisted my arm until I gave in to the PDK"? You couldn't possibly be that naive. There is absolutely zero chance we would get an answer from AP that said he doesn't like the PDK in the GT3 but had to do it anyways because VW said so. ZERO. He will sell what he wants and backtrack on his previous statements like a proper politician.

Listen to what he said regarding PDK and why not, and you will see that the PDK-S does not solve those problems.

- It's not a pure motorsport gearbox
- It does not save any weight
- It does not prevent added weight to the back of the car
- It does not give customers additional means of control and connection with a clutch.

That was pretty much every comment he made with regards to why manual. PDK-S only solves the being able to do a doughnut easily. This makes him categorically a liar. In his own words.

Buy that nonsense if you want to. I'll pass.

hmmm..if in the course of time..one develops a version of PDK (ahh let's call it the S version) that addresses the shortcomings for which you've previously slighted the double clutch gearbox...surely one - in the light of these advancements - should have the ability to revise one's opinion?...no??

It is not a lie to make a statement which at a prior juncture you - even furtively - believed to be valid then, in the light of further developments, revise it....

Is it not the role of astute engineers to constantly push the envelope, and therefore redefine what is possible, or indeed what excels?

Seems AP - evaluated the PDK-S back to back with a manual...and in light of that experience...reached a new conclusion..namely...technology had marched on..and afforded a solution he - and it seems much of his team - thought superior...

So as with the choke...or carburetors..or crank starters....a better technical* solution has been evolved

Also on the assertion that this is all due to the change of ownership.....i rather doubt that....VW & Porsche have been closely connected over the past 65 yrs...granted they bickered much when Wendelin had delusions of grandeur...but as Piech was triumphant...they've just made what was defacto...now formal...

*(i'll grant that a better technical solution may well not be as immersive or involving ..but AP - having delivered every GT3 from that very first in '98....gets the luxury of deciding just what GT3 shall mean in 2013...at least until his customer base gets to tell him otherwise....)

Last edited by Bill_C4S; 05-27-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:39 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drama queening + conspiracy theories. Gotta love rennlist.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:56 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VW happened.

Simple fact is that AP has a new person signing his check. He is full of it about how this pdk changed his mind. He simply has no choice. Hard to fault him, its not his fault he got screwed over by the VW takeover.

strongly agree.

Quick Reply: Andreas Preuninger interview - Interesting point of view from 2011