Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Intro: 991 GT3 - Summer 2014-European Delivery.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:37 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Can you provide a bit more detail on hot to better explain this to a dealer? I want to do the same thing, but I am worried they may not get what I want or how to do it.
My dealer will coordinate with Porsche as part of the European delivery and will notify them not to drill holes since I will be bringing the tow hook plate bracket. They have been doing this with Porsche for years.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
attended the Porsche World Tour event recently. The cars were new/almost new. there was no mention of keeping the revs down.
Coming soon to a dealer near you...
There's a difference between a car that the manufacturer is providing on his dime for potential customers to thrash around, and a car that I bought for myself and plan to keep for a long time. I wouldn't want to buy one of those World Tour cars after the event. It might be ok, but I'll err on the side of caution when it comes to break in. Just my opinion....
Old 07-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

^+1 on that Mike!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

So, do we know on this forum who is getting the first ED GT3? Would be awesome to have a wrote-up of the experience
Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Default My time has come.. and i'm FREAKIN' BABY!!! (need advice)

rather than start an obnoxious new thread to promote my own questions and interests, I thought I would promote my own questions and interests on my own original thread... if you make it all the way back here then it means you really care to help. ;-D

So, I got "the call" from Sonnen.. looks like I have squeezed in with the last gt3 allocation they have. 15 people still on waiting list, I'm not worthy. ;-D

it's a december build with feb ED... and while this is probably the WORST time of year for what I had planned originally, (which was to surprise my dad and drive the nurburgring together,) i don't think it's enough to make me want to not take it... especially if they are moving to RS production in February.. (still can't figure out what the truth is there)

SO, I went to the dealer on Saturday for the rest of my deposit, and I'm really glad I did, as I learned a few things which changed my mind slightly.

#1: I very surprised that I actually really dislike the red stitching... because it isn't red, it's a dark color... I was so surprised seeing it in real life! I never thought I'd say this.. but I'm going Platinum... looks very luxurious and custom in the turbo S they had on the floor. it really makes for a nice eye-pleasing interior.

I learned also that I need to really splurge the last few $1000's on leather.. small-minded of me not too. I've never purchased a new car, let alone an expensive car like this... and when I looked at the sum total.. an extra $2k to have the car really scream pleasure to me when i'm sitting inside... it was worth it. So, i'm going with the extended dash, extended door, and steering column, and leather edged floor mats (platinum silver edges). I even asked for extra stitching on the inside door panel.. I will live on the interior.. I have be reminded every time i step inside why I took so much money out of the stock market to indulge in this guilty pleasure at a young age... every financial planner in the world is frowning at me now... the extra stitching is my own personal FU to them.

OPTIONS I'M SURE ABOUT:
-black PDLS headlights
-full leather, platinum stitching
-extended leather dash, doors, and steering column
-silver seat belts
-white gauges
-front lift
-the little freebies like smokers package etc.

OPTIONS I WOULD LIKE ADVICE ABOUT:
-90L fuel tank?.. what is range without it?... how much is frunk space reduced?... I'm picturing extended weekends in tahoe with my girlfriend.. can you still fit two duffle bags with 90L tank?

-interior lighting package: what are interior lights without it?.. is car pitch black or is there still some light providing a glow so you can see your hands and other areas at night?

-sport chrono: when you add up the insane sport chrono price, with the white gauge face.. it's like ~$2300! in a world of bonkers, this is bonkers.. however, i've noticed how with the extended leather dash, the hooded sport chrono looks even more fantastic... my little brother things dash looks cleaner without, and as he hasn't stepped into nutso world with me, believes that simple is better... any consensus here?

If I go for sport chrono and all the leather... I'm looking at $151k build..$20k in options... I'll never get that money back.. but boy will I get a stiffy every time I open the garage. (assuming i can even fit this car into the garage which is still the BIG QUESTION - anyone in SF care to stop by with their GT3 and help me measure?... massively appreciated)

Rest of the build is standard stuff... but REALLY REALLY need help on the color.. I now understand that angst others have gone through.. here is what i'm considering.
________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________-
COLOR CONSIDERATIONS

AGATE GREY WITH STD WHEELS: love how these almost look color matched, and how with black headlights and black accents, this car would be sinister without being murdered out. DON"T LIKE how damn brown this color is... saw it at dealership and it looks like it belongs on a toyota camry. I'm considering that once I get the car state-side I would probably plasti-dip these wheels black just for fun, or have them painted RED together with wing-tips and mirror supports like the CEO car. The paradox is that while I hate the color, I think the gt3 looks fantastic in dark grey with black headlights... very torn...

DARK BLUE with SILVER WHEELS: love how classy this combo is, and would really look nice with platinum interior/silver belts/white gauges... I would even consider painting the wheels white later together with wing tips and mirror supports.. but from the factory, this would be a good start.

RHODIUM SILVER with SILVER WHEELS: this is a big one... does the rhodium match up well with the silver wheels?.. if it is a good match then this could be a beautiful match-up. I don't think i want to splurge for GT silver.. and I think rhodium matches with silver wheels better... any pics of this combo?.. haven't found any.

GUARD RED with BLACK WHEELS: keep in mind this car would have black headlights also... and red brakes. I've never owned a red car and despite all my ribbing to Mike in CA, I LOVED his car and would definitely build the same one. I've seen enough G.R. pics that I think it's RED enough for my taste.. .yes sometimes it looks a bit flat, and had PTS been available I might have splurged for Carmine... but it wasn't so I'd be happy with how in your face this color combo could be.

I'm no longer considering metallic brown or any other more unusual color... I'm too much of a ***** to stretch things that far ;-D

ok, any pics or advice for this man would be much appreciated. It was so easy to give flippant advice to others... now I realize how heavy this decision weighs on me and I'm laughing at myself for being so unsure after almost 2 years of debate... have only a few more days to decide, don't want to ask for repeat changes, don't want to be that guy. now or never..
Old 08-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Skip the extended leather on the door panels. You can't even see it when the door is shut. Have you thought about Agate Gray with silver wheels? I've seen that combo and it really pops. Disclosure: I'm partial to silver wheels.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zucc
Skip the extended leather on the door panels. You can't even see it when the door is shut. Have you thought about Agate Gray with silver wheels? I've seen that combo and it really pops. Disclosure: I'm partial to silver wheels.
oh I had forgotten about that.. you're right.

so, deleting extended door package, and deleting heat package (because of bucket seats ;-D ). my build is just at $149k right now... but no sport chrono... gotta decide on that little waste of money still as far as interior options go.

Last edited by CAlexio; 08-25-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by CAlexio
OPTIONS I WOULD LIKE ADVICE ABOUT:
-90L fuel tank?.. what is range without it?... how much is frunk space reduced?... I'm picturing extended weekends in tahoe with my girlfriend.. can you still fit two duffle bags with 90L tank?

-interior lighting package: what are interior lights without it?.. is car pitch black or is there still some light providing a glow so you can see your hands and other areas at night?

-sport chrono: when you add up the insane sport chrono price, with the white gauge face.. it's like ~$2300! in a world of bonkers, this is bonkers.. however, i've noticed how with the extended leather dash, the hooded sport chrono looks even more fantastic... my little brother things dash looks cleaner without, and as he hasn't stepped into nutso world with me, believes that simple is better... any consensus here?
Fuel tank: unless you drive like an old lady (doubtful) figure you will get 20-22 MPG highway so you can calculate your range from that. I was originally told that the 90L tank did not intrude on the luggage area. However a comparison at Werks between my car and a 991 C2 parked next to me showed that my frunk was smaller by a couple of inches front to back. Whether that's because of the tank size or because the C4 body has a smaller frunk than the C2 body I don't know for sure although I'm inclined to think it's the body. Can't imagine them designing a different chassis bulkhead just to fit in the tank. Regardless, I think the 90L tank is still the way to go. You can always toss the extra bag in the back.

The car has switchable reading lights. These come on when the door opens and there is also standard lighting in the footwells. The lighting package adds dimmable LED lighting which I would liken more to mood lighting than really useful lighting. I have it in my Cayenne and would not have ordered it if it hadn't come as part of another package. There's enough glow coming off the instruments and PCM to see fine at night in the interior, IMO.

I didn't spend $1720 on the extended leather dash and think it looks great without. Others love the added leather and stitching. I'm with your brother on this one, but TEHO. I'm one of those warped individuals who like the SC and was willing to spend $400 on it but I would have to think really hard about spending $1800. I hadn't thought of this before but someone posted recently about how the white SC face in their car caused a distracting reflection in the windshield. If true, that would make me crazy, but YMMV.

Wish I could help with the color choice, but I was a basket case myself for a couple of months on that score. Any of the combos you list would look good, IMHO.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Thanks mike... This afternoon's pondering out me at rhodium with lack headlights and silver wheels for a true silver arrow look.. I know for a fact there aren't pictures of how that combo looks.. Wonder if rhodium or gt silver is closer matched to silver wheels?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Stick with the standard wheels. They are gorgeous and silver ones will be a pain with brake dust.
Not sure why you don't like red stitching. IMO, agate body, standard wheels, with red stitching inside looks best. Even better than my previous favorite: racing yellow.

Consider that white gauges, white chrono, platinum stitching everywhere, and silver belts may be too much pop inside. Plus light/white stitching will be a pain to clean and will darken from accumulated leather treatment after a couple of years. I like your brother's idea that simpler is better. Keep gauges and belts black. A splash of red stitching for a subtle link with the brakes. No chrono. You'll still get a stiffy.

Get the sport buckets. They don't recline? Get a room.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Thanks mike... This afternoon's pondering out me at rhodium with lack headlights and silver wheels for a true silver arrow look.. I know for a fact there aren't pictures of how that combo looks.. Wonder if rhodium or gt silver is closer matched to silver wheels?
Alex, I think rhodium would be a closer match to silver wheels. GT silver is a fair amount darker than rhodium and from the pics I've seen the silver wheels are quite light colored.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Alex. if you want my opinion stay true to your avatar its one of the most stunning 991 GT3 combinations I have on file and by now I must have almost 200 different cars captured as pictures on my file! Go standard wheels (no cost option) and have these painted red with the mirrors and rear wing end etc before you take delivery by your dealer). this way no guessing - you know exactly what you are going to get and no big $$$ paint options and it worls with red brakes and seat belts well. Just my 2c....
Attached Images   
Old 08-25-2014, 10:53 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Stuck with standard wheels. They will still match any silver, they show minimal brake dust, they're free and you can always plastidip other colors when you change your mind re color.

Extended leather on door is not seen and big waste of money.

I agree extended leather on dash is very nice with deviated stitching. It's the one option I regret not choosing.

Don't spend money on white gauges. Can discolor with age, and as was said earlier, too much white and silver, is too much.

SC is harder decision. I just got my car this week and I love how the SC completes the dash. But that was for $400, $1800 is a much tougher call.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:40 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Is it bad that I actually secretly like this?... black headlights, black wheels....

Gold wheels pics are doing it for me.. Purple gt3.. Haven't seen any on the forum yet

http://www.europeanboost.com/showthr...3-on-gold-rims

Last edited by CAlexio; 08-26-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: New Member Intro: 991 GT3 - Summer 2014-European Delivery.