Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Intro: 991 GT3 - Summer 2014-European Delivery.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Regarding trying an RS... I will do some research on a .1, for $100-$110k..

-Outside of engine overrevs being a potential problem, are these pretty reliable? Would you guys buy an 07-08 out of warranty? From a driveability perspective.. Are these any worse than a regular gt3?

Lifting kit remains most important option right?.. I don't think living in hilly San Fran that I could even get one into my neighborhood without it...

Really grateful for so much info and response to my intro post, good forum here clearly.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:45 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

If you're exploring the 'out of warranty/CPO' route, then you may want to try a 996 GT3 while you're at it. Given your Ducati/motorbike history you may like its rawness the most (as I did ) -- and at the lowest cost and the lowest depreciation point in the GT3 world, to boot. Actually, it appears that clean 6GT3s bottomed around high $40k's couple of years ago and are now safely in the high 50s, low 60s range, if you can find one.

There should still be some CPO'd 07-08s (7GT3s) available, though, if factory warranty is a must.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Do you buy or lease?
I buy with cash. Again, this is often a personal decision. Sure, i could take out a 2% loan or whatever and invest the cash, but I choose to not carry dept on depreciating assets.

I do lease my daily driver (bmw 5 series) as with the incentives BMW offers you'd be crazy not to. With multiple refundable security deposits you end up close to 0% interest (money factor) and they highly subsidize the residual rates which means you pay a lot less than actual depreciation, plus they are always running promos with additional cash into the deal.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,842 Likes on 1,123 Posts

I have a .1rs out of warranty. These cars are quite reliable and the 997 board will detail most of the known 'issues' with the cars, most of which for the .1 are minor (sans the coolant pipe issues which affect .1 and .2 cars). RS has less sound deadening, lightweight flywheel can make it a little trickier to drive (I guess) other than that similar to standard gt3.

In SF you probably would want axle lift, but it depends on your neighborhood or parking situation, or invest in a stock of the lower lip replacements. Easily replaced, and not expensive (for cup part). The primary issue is driveways. Angle approach works 90% of the time.

I think the 991 will be great, but in the end it depends on what you're looking for. Me, for now, I like to row my own, and yeah, pdk will be faster on the track but whatever.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Regarding trying an RS... I will do some research on a .1, for $100-$110k..

-Outside of engine overrevs being a potential problem, are these pretty reliable? Would you guys buy an 07-08 out of warranty? From a driveability perspective.. Are these any worse than a regular gt3?

Lifting kit remains most important option right?.. I don't think living in hilly San Fran that I could even get one into my neighborhood without it...

Really grateful for so much info and response to my intro post, good forum here clearly.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 592 Posts

A 2010/2011 Gt3 could be CPO'ed (or have remaining warranty) and have a manual gearbox . I'm pretty sure they have a front lift option and come in around $100K. They will not depreciate to $65K in 2 years, I'm pretty certain.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:26 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

So, during this waiting period, I was thinking a significantly cheaper and less "intense" car would be a boxster Spyder. Anyone own one?.. I drove one at Porsche driving academy at Barber last year, but outside of excellent handling on the cone course I couldn't really tell what it would be like to own.

I remember the seats looked amazing and were comfortable, and it looked a bit like a baby carrera gt externally, especially in white. While it wouldn't be as fast on track as a gt3 of course, what are on road manners like?
Old 05-31-2013, 06:05 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

I predict heavy, heavy depreciation on the 991 GT3. The simple fact that there's even an allocation for you to jump on this late in the game is indicative of that... If you think these things are going to be anywhere near MSRP after two years I think you haven't been following the Porsche market long enough.

The difference between a 997 GT3 and the new 991 GT3 will follow the depreciation of the 993 vs 996. ...and just as with the 996, Porsche will make buckets of money selling the faster, easier to drive appliance...

I predict low mileage 2014 GT3's in the low 110's after the first year as I believe they'll be selling for close to invoice new by the end of the model year.

If you really want a 991 GT3 and are concerned about depreciation -- hold off ordering until a decent discount is available.

I share your appreciation of black/black with red deviated stiching -- skip the red gauges.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, during this waiting period, I was thinking a significantly cheaper and less "intense" car would be a boxster Spyder. Anyone own one?.. I drove one at Porsche driving academy at Barber last year, but outside of excellent handling on the cone course I couldn't really tell what it would be like to own.

I remember the seats looked amazing and were comfortable, and it looked a bit like a baby carrera gt externally, especially in white. While it wouldn't be as fast on track as a gt3 of course, what are on road manners like?
I love the new boxsters - they look great and they're incredibly fun to drive. Not as fast as a GT3, of course, but only about 2 seconds slower than a 911 around a our local track where we had a pro driver run fast laps back to back.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dan39

I love the new boxsters - they look great and they're incredibly fun to drive. Not as fast as a GT3, of course, but only about 2 seconds slower than a 911 around a our local track where we had a pro driver run fast laps back to back.
No, I'm talking about the last generation Spyder version with the floppy fabric top and the awesome carbon seats
Old 06-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

No, I'm talking about the last generation Spyder version with the floppy fabric top and the awesome carbon seats
You've driven a Spyder at the Porsche school so you know what that's like. The normal Boxster S, which I've owned, will be very similar from a driving standpoint althoug with slightly less of an edge due to the heavier chassis and softer springs. Incremental differences though, not big ones.

The biggest difference would be the top. The car can't really be secured, and driving when the weather is iffy is much more of an issue. In terms of the ownership experience, how much practicality are you willing to trade for incremental performance? If you're the kind of person who puts the top down on a cab and leaves it down all the time, even when parked, you might as well get a Spyder and enjoy the look and feel. Just my $.02.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:33 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
I predict heavy, heavy depreciation on the 991 GT3. The simple fact that there's even an allocation for you to jump on this late in the game is indicative of that... If you think these things are going to be anywhere near MSRP after two years I think you haven't been following the Porsche market long enough.

The difference between a 997 GT3 and the new 991 GT3 will follow the depreciation of the 993 vs 996. ...and just as with the 996, Porsche will make buckets of money selling the faster, easier to drive appliance...

I predict low mileage 2014 GT3's in the low 110's after the first year as I believe they'll be selling for close to invoice new by the end of the model year.

If you really want a 991 GT3 and are concerned about depreciation -- hold off ordering until a decent discount is available.

I share your appreciation of black/black with red deviated stiching -- skip the red gauges.
Utterly laughable... err did I say that aloud; inner-monologue, inner-monologue, damn...

Although, we all have predictions, it is extremely fair to say that the depreciation curve will be no worse then the 991S, not even on par; which hasn't taken that kind of hit. Porsche may produce 800 GT3s, maybe less, compared to how many thousand Carreras?

If you recall 997.2 were selling very slow and used .1s could be had all day long in the mid $80s. I know of many .2s being sold for thousands off sticker and anyone finding one if they so chose.

Let's start a new thread titled: I hate the 991 GT3!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

You've driven a Spyder at the Porsche school so you know what that's like. The normal Boxster S, which I've owned, will be very similar from a driving standpoint althoug with slightly less of an edge due to the heavier chassis and softer springs. Incremental differences though, not big ones.

The biggest difference would be the top. The car can't really be secured, and driving when the weather is iffy is much more of an issue. In terms of the ownership experience, how much practicality are you willing to trade for incremental performance? If you're the kind of person who puts the top down on a cab and leaves it down all the time, even when parked, you might as well get a Spyder and enjoy the look and feel. Just my $.02.
Ok, guess it felt so much special than a regular boxster, and the exterior look especially in white I love. The car would be a weekend car, a few track days/yr. I am lucky to live in very low crime area and would be traveling to napa, Infineon raceway or Laguna secs or up the coast.aybe the answer is just wait for gt3 next summer.. Should be worth the wait
Old 06-02-2013, 01:58 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Utterly laughable... err did I say that aloud; inner-monologue, inner-monologue, damn...

Although, we all have predictions, it is extremely fair to say that the depreciation curve will be no worse then the 991S, not even on par; which hasn't taken that kind of hit. Porsche may produce 800 GT3s, maybe less, compared to how many thousand Carreras?

If you recall 997.2 were selling very slow and used .1s could be had all day long in the mid $80s. I know of many .2s being sold for thousands off sticker and anyone finding one if they so chose.

Let's start a new thread titled: I hate the 991 GT3!
120k 2012 991's are selling for low high 80's to low 90's....we have seen that kind of hit already. What market are you looking at?

This is an appliance model Porsche that will be slower and less desirable than the next wiz-bang appliance model. The stage is already set for rapid depreciation.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:46 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado

LOL
Old 06-02-2013, 03:02 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP
A couple things to consider
991GT3 PDK only and no sport buckets for now
Therefore no 6 pt harness, Hans /necksgen

Other gens Mezger with manual. Heel/toe involved rewarding driving.
I got a low mileage 07 GT3 last summer in the mid 70 range with <11K miles and clean DME. Put the safety mods for track and had coolant fittings welded.
Have a trustworthy Indy shop I take my cars to. Even my CPO c4S

Btw April 2012 we had a motorcycle racer who was fastest in autocross at Barber at PSDS. Was that you?

Quick Reply: New Member Intro: 991 GT3 - Summer 2014-European Delivery.