Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Press Kit: "80 percent of 911 GT3 customers also drive their cars on race tracks"

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the vast majority of current 997.1/.2 gt3/rs cars never see the track and are a lot more commonplace at the hated CnC events.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

But that's different.....somehow.......I guess.....
Old 05-27-2013, 03:05 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the vast majority of current 997.1/.2 gt3/rs cars never see the track and are a lot more commonplace at the hated CnC events.
I don't think anyone really knows. It is purely subjective... All I know is how Porsche marketed the GT3s over the years - and that was clearly as a track toy.

I attend C&C, and I attend the track. I see more GT3/GT3RS on the track than I do at the C&Cs of NoCal, SoCal, Utah, Tennessee & Georgia. I also know of many that sit in collections and are not being driven.

-B
Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Up here in Rennsport Region we get 20 guys out for C&C and 125 for a DE. Many GT3s and last event, 9 GT3 RS MK2.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I've not been to one of these cars-n-coffee things, but I've been to a few of the Santana Row gatherings on sunny saturdays. They're a good way to "paddock race" for an hour or two and not have all that busywork of actually being at the paddock. : ) Anyway, if they promote new interest and participation, like drifting, I wouldn't call either activity hated in the least. Maybe easy targets for some put-down humor, but like bubble-wrappers or status conscious first-kid-on-the-block types, they're all part of the deal.

As for GT3's at the track, at least in the affluent precincts of Silicon Valley, on any given Sunday, Laguna, Sears and Thunderhill are well populated by anything from a Carrera modified to be a Cup car (you know who you are ...) to a pristine zero mile RS driven directly from the showroom (and that description fits several junkies frequenting these pages.)

I've been mentioning it to Porsche marketing and sales types since the hay day of the 996 GT3 -- they're missing a ridiculously easy slam dunk opportunity to get GT3 owners to coordinate large scale attendance at PCA/PCNA "sanctioned" events to put on a show of strength in numbers. A hundred GT3's at Laguna would be easily done around here and would make a hell of a marketing coup if coordinated around a suitable race weekend with Cup cars and club racing. Get some factory affiliated celebs like the Hurler, take advantage of younger stars like Leh Keen running laps in a Cup or R or RSR, then a 991 GT3, etc. etc. Dirt cheap by corporate marketing standards as a bang for the buck event, plus a legit enthusiast event with things like taking home your data acq to compare to Keen or Haywood or someone set a road car lap record in an RS 4.0 or 991 GT3 to beat the ZR1 and Viper times. Hand out that lap data for GT3 drivers to compare and learn ... a gazillion opportunities to have enthusiasts frothing at the mouth to get their next track day and someone has a Vette or is thinking of a comparable priced Lambo or whatever, they might look at the social environment and track "scene" of the 911 and GT3 guys and say "I think that's more like it" than what they've experienced with other cars. There's my free two cents' marketing and promotion consulting. (I've been paid more for less : )
Old 05-27-2013, 04:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Newbie comment alert:

-was talking to a dealer about a used 997.1 or .2 gt3rs and he told me that while cars which have been tracked will maintain their warranty, they aren't eligible for becoming certified. Also mentioned that when a car comes in for repairs, they look for clag in wheel wells right away as a first sign of track usage to determine probable cause of issues.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Newbie comment alert:

-was talking to a dealer about a used 997.1 or .2 gt3rs and he told me that while cars which have been tracked will maintain their warranty, they aren't eligible for becoming certified. Also mentioned that when a car comes in for repairs, they look for clag in wheel wells right away as a first sign of track usage to determine probable cause of issues.
re. CPO, that's up to the individual dealer or service manager to make the call -- they have to individually take the hit when they cpo a car and it comes back. As for eyeballing tire rubber marbles in the wheel wells, that's about the least diagnostic observation of a car, but if it sets their mind on a good path (thinking about the elevated risks of a car on track and requiring 100% attention to detail where a mistake or a corner cut by a tech won't mean just an annoying roadside service call, it will mean risking lives at high speed on the track) then fine. If some track driving sets their minds to thinking of denying service work warranty, etc., then it's time to find a service manager with some ***** and forget these pants-wetting ninnies.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:50 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I've not been to one of these cars-n-coffee things, but I've been to a few of the Santana Row gatherings on sunny saturdays. They're a good way to "paddock race" for an hour or two and not have all that busywork of actually being at the paddock. : ) Anyway, if they promote new interest and participation, like drifting, I wouldn't call either activity hated in the least. Maybe easy targets for some put-down humor, but like bubble-wrappers or status conscious first-kid-on-the-block types, they're all part of the deal.

As for GT3's at the track, at least in the affluent precincts of Silicon Valley, on any given Sunday, Laguna, Sears and Thunderhill are well populated by anything from a Carrera modified to be a Cup car (you know who you are ...) to a pristine zero mile RS driven directly from the showroom (and that description fits several junkies frequenting these pages.)

I've been mentioning it to Porsche marketing and sales types since the hay day of the 996 GT3 -- they're missing a ridiculously easy slam dunk opportunity to get GT3 owners to coordinate large scale attendance at PCA/PCNA "sanctioned" events to put on a show of strength in numbers. A hundred GT3's at Laguna would be easily done around here and would make a hell of a marketing coup if coordinated around a suitable race weekend with Cup cars and club racing. Get some factory affiliated celebs like the Hurler, take advantage of younger stars like Leh Keen running laps in a Cup or R or RSR, then a 991 GT3, etc. etc. Dirt cheap by corporate marketing standards as a bang for the buck event, plus a legit enthusiast event with things like taking home your data acq to compare to Keen or Haywood or someone set a road car lap record in an RS 4.0 or 991 GT3 to beat the ZR1 and Viper times. Hand out that lap data for GT3 drivers to compare and learn ... a gazillion opportunities to have enthusiasts frothing at the mouth to get their next track day and someone has a Vette or is thinking of a comparable priced Lambo or whatever, they might look at the social environment and track "scene" of the 911 and GT3 guys and say "I think that's more like it" than what they've experienced with other cars. There's my free two cents' marketing and promotion consulting. (I've been paid more for less : )

hmmm

Stop complaining. That's about as good as a free advice can get in the confined space of an Internet forum where most of the denizens pretty much know each other.

Since we are in the day dreaming zone, may I suggest a similar and considerably cheaper (in every scale) event with a sub GT3 series road legal /track capable cup?

Get a stripped (and I do mean stripped and priced accordingly) down boxster/cayman or, even better, do create this long in the making 550? successor and allow the (hopefully younger, although I wouldn't exclude the young at heart) customers to run it "as is"; let's say two weekends per month, four/five months minimum per year.

A low emissions, 2l turbocharged car, manual, 300-320ps, 1200kg max weight in a solid chassis, 18" wheels, simple suspension.

No need for factory support, just to honor the warranty for engine, electrics and gearbox and also to overview the series' rules.

Imagine the number of cars, the publicity, the necessary social media/forum buzz.

Even better, make it an international stock class.
Each weekend people from around the globe comparing lap times, data and, most importantly, fun.

I really think that my idea is not fundamentally unfeasible but then again it's almost 12 at night here and I'm enjoying my drink after a long day..
Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
hmmm

Stop complaining. That's about as good as a free advice can get in the confined space of an Internet forum where most of the denizens pretty much know each other.

Since we are in the day dreaming zone, may I suggest a similar and considerably cheaper (in every scale) event with a sub GT3 series road legal /track capable cup?

Get a stripped (and I do mean stripped and priced accordingly) down boxster/cayman or, even better, do create this long in the making 550? successor and allow the (hopefully younger, although I wouldn't exclude the young at heart) customers to run it "as is"; let's say two weekends per month, four/five months minimum per year.

A low emissions, 2l turbocharged car, manual, 300-320ps, 1200kg max weight in a solid chassis, 18" wheels, simple suspension.

No need for factory support, just to honor the warranty for engine, electrics and gearbox and also to overview the series' rules.

Imagine the number of cars, the publicity, the necessary social media/forum buzz.

Even better, make it an international stock class.
Each weekend people from around the globe comparing lap times, data and, most importantly, fun.

I really think that my idea is not fundamentally unfeasible but then again it's almost 12 at night here and I'm enjoying my drink after a long day..

OK, I'll attribute you skipping parts of what I wrote as being too many Ouzo shots. But I wasn't on the "build a fun car to make an affordable club race spec series" rant, I was on the "crowdsource the logistics for a big owner's meet-up at a prestigious track and draw attention to the sizable population of support for the GT3 as a track day car in the US market" rant. ... six of one ...
Old 05-27-2013, 10:44 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we just had such an event in syd last weekend.
(aus)pca-sanctioned event built around carrera cup and gt3 cup rounds.
dealer displays, porsche driving school, concours, historics, regularity race...etc.
many, many people turned up, from porsche clubs around australia
even klaus bischoff turned up with 'jules'.....

great way to introduce newbies to the brand, who would normally never attend a race meet.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
we just had such an event in syd last weekend.
(aus)pca-sanctioned event built around carrera cup and gt3 cup rounds.
dealer displays, porsche driving school, concours, historics, regularity race...etc.
many, many people turned up, from porsche clubs around australia
even klaus bischoff turned up with 'jules'.....

great way to introduce newbies to the brand, who would normally never attend a race meet.
Any video or pics, sites? Sounds like Aussie Porsche is fired up.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

people only just started submitting pics, there will be more later..

http://cms.porsche-clubs.com/Porsche...cument&tabnr=1
Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

racing results all cats

http://racing.natsoft.com.au/results/#2
Old 05-28-2013, 12:06 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Up here in Rennsport Region we get 20 guys out for C&C and 125 for a DE. Many GT3s and last event, 9 GT3 RS MK2.
GT3's are very commonplace at the track on the east coast. You can't find a track event or video that doesn't have some GT3's in it. Don't know who could really keep track of it, but would be interesting to know some solid numbers.

One thing is for sure, the ratio of cars at the track is far higher than any other cars over 100k and most of the ones below 100 k if not just for higher production numbers only.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

Adam, you're roughly describing 48hoursatSebring.com we meet Leh Keen there and sit at the bar next to The Germans.

There are a dozen GT3' at any given track event but I'd say 50, maybe more at 48 hours. I'll look it up later. The sheer volume of cars and so the shared data on these pages is what attracted me to The GT3 that I had never cared for until I started DE.

Quick Reply: Press Kit: "80 percent of 911 GT3 customers also drive their cars on race tracks"