Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 internals video. File this under "Oh, brother!"

Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
In my experience, the only way to develop feel for left foot braking is to use your left foot in your road car every day and in every car you drive. It's the muscle memory that creates that unconscious teamwork between your left foot big toe, calf, quads and somewhere between the base of your spine and somewhere in whatever part of your brain learns that "map" of how to do something unconsciously.

Anyone with halfway decent strength and balance can left foot brake, but it takes concentration/focus/attention/effort that detracts from the other stuff you're doing on track (such as staying on track ...)

I used to reserve left foot braking (LFB?) for only those turns where it was really compulsory (eg. T2 at Laguna) but in the 996 GT3, the car pretty much told me I needed to get with the program and keep the pressure on the nose of the car while transitioning to power.

I find LFB to be hard to explain, but relatively easy to learn, then it's just a matter of practice and repetition with attention to the balance of the car. An SUV makes for a great teaching car. Even in a straight line at a walking pace, just feel the brake on and off, then balance that with the throttle so that you're feeding in power without gaining or losing speed and you can feel the car "compress."

Porsche limits the amount of time brake and throttle can be applied simultaneously. This is said to prevent the "panic" situation where an incompetent driver will push their right foot onto the brake and inadvertently depress the throttle -- this can lead to some of those YouTube videos of cars lurching into shop fronts, etc. -- but the time required to effectively transition is only the time taken to move from wide open throttle to full brakes, then from the peak braking and steering input at the apex to zero brake as the car tracks out and away from the apex. If anything the brake-throttle helps as a reminder when one becomes lazy (and slow) with the left foot.

PDK understands left foot braking, even in the 997.2 cars, it's smooth and doesn't make mistakes. I have to imagine the numerous computers all futzing around with the 991 GT3 will have a game plan and to drive the car as quickly as possible, you'll simply have to adapt to that plan. I'm not too happy about that approach (it's sort of like getting a good score on a video game, you're no longer exercising a raw skill so much as learning to pass a multiple choice test by process of elimination ... that's not the raw learning of a skill, that's the adaptation to a virtual environment created by software people.)
Excellent, mature, and well thought out post.

Bravo, and thank you.

Oh, and save the manuals! (not that we have a choice with the 991 GT3...)
Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
In my experience, the only way to develop feel for left foot braking is to use your left foot in your road car every day and in every car you drive. It's the muscle memory that creates that unconscious teamwork between your left foot big toe, calf, quads and somewhere between the base of your spine and somewhere in whatever part of your brain learns that "map" of how to do something unconsciously.

Anyone with halfway decent strength and balance can left foot brake, but it takes concentration/focus/attention/effort that detracts from the other stuff you're doing on track (such as staying on track ...)

I used to reserve left foot braking (LFB?) for only those turns where it was really compulsory (eg. T2 at Laguna) but in the 996 GT3, the car pretty much told me I needed to get with the program and keep the pressure on the nose of the car while transitioning to power.

I find LFB to be hard to explain, but relatively easy to learn, then it's just a matter of practice and repetition with attention to the balance of the car. An SUV makes for a great teaching car. Even in a straight line at a walking pace, just feel the brake on and off, then balance that with the throttle so that you're feeding in power without gaining or losing speed and you can feel the car "compress."
Thanks Carrera GT. Very helpful indeed. I spent the day driving the SUV with both feet on the pedals. because its a lard *** you can definitely feel it "compress" as you indicate and it gives a great understanding of whats happening with loads when using both pedals simultaneously. I can see it being of use fractionally less than heel to toe (probably two key corners on our local track would benefit) but on tarmac rally I can see it being far more useful. In my experience you can get used to it quite quickly but it the muscle memory that takes time as when you jump back in the car first time you find yourself braking initially far too hard...I have 9 months to master it!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts

Unless they deactivate the throttle override you can't LFB in a newer 911 as the throttle shuts off after about 1 second of LFB application.

Perhaps this has been deactivated in new gt3. It wasn't in my RS.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:50 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

On left-foot braking (and braking, in general):

http://safeisfast.com/sections/6-adv...g#.UZjV1aK5ySo

I'm with the guys @ 1:30 and 2:30.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Unless they deactivate the throttle override you can't LFB in a newer 911 as the throttle shuts off after about 1 second of LFB application.

Perhaps this has been deactivated in new gt3. It wasn't in my RS.
Yes this is deactivated on the new 991 GT3...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 internals video. File this under "Oh, brother!"