Sponsored by:

991GT3 US allocations

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts
Default 991GT3 US allocations

Based on what I have read on other boards, the ROW Porsche dealers have received their GT3 allocations some time ago. The US dealerships have not and frankly I am becoming very irritated. The US market is a large market with Porsche anticipating selling close to 1000 GT3's in 2014. Yet, US Porsche dealers have not any indication how many cars they will receive.

I suspect the same holds true for the TT. Why is Porsche discriminating against the US market.? I try rationalizing that maybe they are working to get the sport bucket seats approved and may delay production until that happens. Then reality hits me and think there is no way Porsche would delay production.

Very pissed.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Patience my friend
We'll all get our GT3's. I just want my before the snow flies or after it has melted.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Canadian dealers have not received theirs either....
Old 05-14-2013, 08:04 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relax.

Makes no sense getting angry about something that you cannot change or affect. You'll get your car. But not before me.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 PM
frayed
Race Car

Just got off the phone. Plan on next week. This is nothing new. . . . US is usually 2 weeks behind the EU in allocations on most new models. Leave the conspiracy theories to the manual and bucket guys.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The delay makes sense from the standpoint that ROW cars are scheduled to begin production a couple of months before NA cars, so orders (and allocations) would need to be in place earlier for the ROW. It's been this way with new Porsche models for as long as I can remember; who do we see about that?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Most likely our complex government regulations and not some vast Porsche conspiracy.

I was told there would be 500 US allocations for 2014. I guess we shall soon see.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:30 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess Porsche might limit exposure to the unforeseeable consequences of 475hp and 9000rpm but I'm guessing greed will overcome prudence. Since the GT3 is now on the production line with the Carrera there's no practical limitation on production volume.

I think it's important, as a consumer, to stay out of the initial feeding frenzy. End of quarter after they sell to the "first kid on the block" buyers, prices will be negotiable and I see no cause for concern about limited allocations.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:35 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The delay makes sense from the standpoint that ROW cars are scheduled to begin production a couple of months before NA cars, so orders (and allocations) would need to be in place earlier for the ROW. It's been this way with new Porsche models for as long as I can remember; who do we see about that?
Indeed - fully correct. So you see this time Im not in the bucket seat and MT conspiracy.

Interesting is however the question that CarreraGT raised. If my info is correct than only 100 991 GT3s will be build in 2013..however, if Porsche wants to make this the best selling GT3 ever...100 per year is contradictory. Out of these 100 many will go to Porsche dealers..and will at first not be "for sale"..as they will be rather for display. I know that in Germany oders got delayed however. They will only start producing the cars in June...at least this was my info a few months ago.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A few months ago there was no production schedule known. Your info is off. The factory are building the press cars first well before the September press launch in Europe. I have received my RHD allocation (ROW) as have most UK RHD buyers. RHD production is scheduled for the end of October and will last 4 weeks. there will be almost 100 RHD units produced during that time. The September, Oct & Dec runs are LHD. Expect over 400 units produced (including press cars) between September and end of Dec 2013.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I guess Porsche might limit exposure to the unforeseeable consequences of 475hp and 9000rpm but I'm guessing greed will overcome prudence. Since the GT3 is now on the production line with the Carrera there's no practical limitation on production volume.

I think it's important, as a consumer, to stay out of the initial feeding frenzy. End of quarter after they sell to the "first kid on the block" buyers, prices will be negotiable and I see no cause for concern about limited allocations.
Porsche could have pumped up production on 997 GT3s although on a different assembly line, right? I understand your point but that was not the only limiting factor, correct?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The GT3 is a limited run car. It will not occupy the production line for longer than 12-14 months and thus its volume will be limited to between 1400-1800 units IMHO. Nothings changed. Porsche have been VW for a while now and if anything they have been making more low volume models in the last 3 years than ever before (250 Sprt Classic, 4.0 RS, GT2RS x 500 etc). What you will see from Porsche are more mainstream production model variants and maybe some niche ones too. But you wont see a mass volume production of GT3 or RS 991. The distributor in my country is already fighting hand and tooth for 2014 allocation indications and at this time the factory look unlikely to allocate more than 12-15 units over both production runs for a country of 4 million relatively prosperous souls (remember we pay 246,000 USD for a new 991 GT3 here!). I know Singapore is having the same issue and the UK and Australia too. If there is any growth over the production volumes in general it will come from China but likely at the expense of the USA and Europe whose economies arent as bouyant as they were when the 997 GT3 was launched...
Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The GT3 is a limited run car. It will not occupy the production line for longer than 12-14 months and thus its volume will be limited to between 1400-1800 units IMHO. Nothings changed. Porsche have been VW for a while now and if anything they have been making more low volume models in the last 3 years than ever before (250 Sprt Classic, 4.0 RS, GT2RS x 500 etc). What you will see from Porsche are more mainstream production model variants and maybe some niche ones too. But you wont see a mass volume production of GT3 or RS 991. The distributor in my country is already fighting hand and tooth for 2014 allocation indications and at this time the factory look unlikely to allocate more than 12-15 units over both production runs for a country of 4 million relatively prosperous souls (remember we pay 246,000 USD for a new 991 GT3 here!). I know Singapore is having the same issue and the UK and Australia too. If there is any growth over the production volumes in general it will come from China but likely at the expense of the USA and Europe whose economies arent as bouyant as they were when the 997 GT3 was launched...
Thank you, much informative as always.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 AM
frayed
Race Car

Good stuff Macca. The limited dialogue I've had on the topic indicates limited production run for the GT3, not a flooding of the market that carrera gt predicts. And, the initial allocations are indeed scarce.

But I don't really care if I'm thought of as one of the 'first kid on the block' buyers. I'm paying MSRP, as I have my last GT3, which ironically was the second one delivered by my dealer (I'm second again), and I'm ready for some new metal. If I dislike the car, I'll sell it while they are still scarce and come out relatively unscathed. If I like it I'll hold the car and won't really care if PAG works overtime to crank up the assembly line. Production numbers have no impact on how one feels behind the wheel.

That said, it's gonna be an epic ride. Bring it on.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

The 918 buyers will get first shot. What I am told is that each dealer in the US will only get one or two.
I guess we will see.

Quick Reply: 991GT3 US allocations