Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back seat in 991 gt3

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 07:33 PM
jlasuncion
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shakenbake, nice to hear someone is on the same page, this new gt3 ticks a lot boxes and the rear seats option will take it to the next level. I hope its a straight retro fit.

Dont worry guys, i will also make sure that the sequential shift orientation in the back seat will be correct, push to down shift and pull to upshift. Finally, p-car 'admits' that the old tiptronic was wrong
Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im sure this can be done. I had it in my 996.1 GT3 and Ive seen it done in 997.1 GT3. As long as the factory have left the seat belt points the seat back and padding are easy (can be obtained from a wreaked car)....I think its great if it helps you get more use for the car. I like the idea of one car for all seasons and I think this 991 GT3 can pull that off...
Old 05-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts
Default waiting...

for the inevitable insurance discussion to commence....

Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 AM
lusoporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the 2+ 2 rear seats kind of a 911 heritage thing? And one of the advantages of the stupid engine location?

For those wishing to take the wife and kids to enjoy the car but at the same time, benefiting from the increased feel and sensations the GT3 offers over regular 911's, even at low speeds, doesn't that make sense?

I keep reading over and over again that the GT3 is a pure track weapon. No it's not. It weighs almost a ton and a half. A radical, an Ariel Atom, a Caterham, a BAC Mono, etc, examples of cars that are much more focused, hardcore, and a TON lighter.

So I consider a GT3 a road weapon that can of course be enjoyed at the track, but perfectly suited to that long road trip. With the family along (you can drop them at a nice cafe when you arrive at the Nurburgring).

Regular 911s are lovely engineered things but are a bit remote, so the appeal of the GT3 for me as always been the increased feeling and sensation you get from everything: pedal feel, steering feel, engine noise, slack free responses in the controls and in the car... And most of these you can feel at all times, not only at sonic boom speeds.

So yes, it would be nice to have (+2) rear seats in a GT3 to bring the kids along. Flame at will, I have nomex skin on the interwebs
Old 11-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^ Points all valid and very well made IMHO.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Love2Apex
Instructor

So, is there any update on this? I am considering selling my 997tt and getting a new GT3, although have the same exact views as the above.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:17 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Personally I would not trust putting my kids in something that was not fully engineered by the factory. Just buy a turbo. Most passenger and kid s would enjoy a smoother riding car anyway .

Most of my GF's and my daughter have not enjoyed the stiff 911's I have owned.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lusoporsche
Isn't the 2+ 2 rear seats kind of a 911 heritage thing? And one of the advantages of the stupid engine location?

For those wishing to take the wife and kids to enjoy the car but at the same time, benefiting from the increased feel and sensations the GT3 offers over regular 911's, even at low speeds, doesn't that make sense?

I keep reading over and over again that the GT3 is a pure track weapon. No it's not. It weighs almost a ton and a half. A radical, an Ariel Atom, a Caterham, a BAC Mono, etc, examples of cars that are much more focused, hardcore, and a TON lighter.

So I consider a GT3 a road weapon that can of course be enjoyed at the track, but perfectly suited to that long road trip. With the family along (you can drop them at a nice cafe when you arrive at the Nurburgring).

Regular 911s are lovely engineered things but are a bit remote, so the appeal of the GT3 for me as always been the increased feeling and sensation you get from everything: pedal feel, steering feel, engine noise, slack free responses in the controls and in the car... And most of these you can feel at all times, not only at sonic boom speeds.

So yes, it would be nice to have (+2) rear seats in a GT3 to bring the kids along. Flame at will, I have nomex skin on the interwebs
+1 I totally agree. I usually take my wife and my 8yr old daughter along for some track events and for most autocross events, and we are forced to take 2 cars. So I have been looking into this conversion, and I already did ask my delear to look into it. They said as far as they can tell that most of the pieces from regular (991) 911 should work, but they are checking with the factory to see if the seat belt anchor points are still there. They also indicated that I would need to replace some of the trim pieces around the back window. I will let you know as soon as I hear back from them. Mark
Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Would be great to find a solution here as well, my GT3 is going to be 90% street/10% track so having the ability to take the family around would also make me much more inclined to keep it longer term.

Assuming an RS eventuates in my future, I'm thinking a GT3 RS + a Targa or C2S, but GT3 RS + GT3 would make me much happier...
Old 09-17-2014, 10:29 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For the longest time, I wouldn't buy a GT3 because of the lack of backseats. I have two young boys that are car nuts (I wonder how that happened) and having them along is part of the fun. However, something I discovered is that there is a closeness/something special about being 1-1 with them. So our system now is one of taking turns. Not trying to get too personal and not sure if this is relevant for you or not. I am not sure that I would want to try to engineer seats into the back of the car. I wouldn't forgive myself if I tried that and something bad happened as a result. Risks are everywhere, I know. But I feel better about my boys being on a booster in the front seat than I would adding one in the back that is not OEM. And my wife has no interest in the car hobby (isn't that terrible that it creates a break from her )
Old 09-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Love2Apex
Instructor

mqandil, do you have an answer back on this. I am right on the edge of ordering a GT3 pending the answer to this question
Old 09-25-2014, 03:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

rear seat has legal issue in usa
you are in phillipines, there are no laws there, do as you wish
i have no rear seats in mine
my kids enjoy the car immensely as they wash the impossible to clean bbs, and climb around the roll bar to windex the rear windows. they dont ride in back b/c i make sure i corner hard so they throw up. now they prefer to wash it and call it a day. they even get rewarded with 2 quarters. really, they love it.

the 5 YO would brag to the 9 YO, "daddy let me dry the front bumper today, what were you allowed to wipe, have you graduated from vacuuming mommy's mini van yet?"
Old 09-25-2014, 10:04 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

"corner hard so they throw up" LOL
Old 09-25-2014, 10:30 AM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
"corner hard so they throw up" LOL
I thought the 5 yr old's smack was funnier.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

I pay good money for the 9 yo to learn gymnastic and ballet. she can bend herself into weird shapes. so she gets herself into the dually's rear wheel well and wax the underside of it. the 5yo is about as stiff as I am. not very useful.

Quick Reply: back seat in 991 gt3