Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Road and Track first drive: 991 GT3

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...911-gt3-review
Old 04-29-2013, 03:50 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

my favorite line: "The GT3 emits a pained wail that, along with the high-pitched whine from the transmission's hydraulic pump, will have a Ferrari 458 looking around nervously for the nearest exit. "

Ha!
Old 04-29-2013, 03:52 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, can't wait for a full indepth review/comparison

Mike
Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 PM
frayed
Race Car

" Even the sharpest purist rhetoric falls apart when the GT3 feels exactly like a 911 from behind the wheel, only better."

R&T bemoans the loss of the third pedal; this is their only real gripe. I cannot disagree as I still think the car would be more fun on the street with a clutch. But I do look forward to the new box on the track.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 912 Posts

Ugh, another "dinosaur" pining for the involvement of a manual. Que the BMW M5 playbook. Let's just hope that it's the lightweight 6-speed and not the heavy, clunky converted PDK 7-speed.

Kudos to R&T for calling it like it is, though I suspect this deed won't go unpunished...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:13 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Ugh, another "dinosaur" pining for the involvement of a manual. Que the BMW M5 playbook. Let's just hope that it's the lightweight 6-speed and not the heavy, clunky converted PDK 7-speed.

Kudos to R&T for calling it like it is, though I suspect this deed won't go unpunished...
+1
Almost makes me feel bad about dropping my subscription...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

link no longer working. I get the subscribe page
Old 04-29-2013, 04:43 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekilr
link no longer working. I get the subscribe page
Works here even after dumping cookies and cache.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:54 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, AP asked that people "just shut up and drive", and R&T did so:

"while the GT3's PDK is one of the better automatics, there is not, nor will there ever be, an automatic that's as involving as a manual. The 911, like so many other cars, has traded a degree of involvement for speed. We'd happily lose time on the sprint to 60 mph, or a few seconds per lap, if it meant more fun. You have to hope that, at some point, Porsche will release a Mea Culpa Edition GT3 with a six or seven-speed manual."

Hammer, meet nail.

There's also a great column by Richard Meaden in Evo #182 on this topic, in a broad sense (PS - fantastic issue with a test of all base 996 & 997 GT3s, as a fond farewell to the GT series cars with manuals).
Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

As I read the article I could not help but to get the feeling the writer did not want to like the car. Ultimately, all he could conclude is even though I am slower with manual I prefer it. My question is if speed does not matter why bother to track or race? You can enjoy manual on any car including very slow ones if fun is what you are after. Diehards invariably adopt a cretin mentality when facing the future.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
Works here even after dumping cookies and cache.
Must not like us Canucks...

I try from another computer when I get home...
Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...911-gt3-review

This should work.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
1) My question is if speed does not matter why bother to track or race?

2) Diehards invariably adopt a cretin mentality when facing the future.
1) Umm, because it's not a race car, and PCNA will void your warranty if you track it. Some people actually buy street-legal cars to enjoy them on the street; crazy, right? Your red herring is showing - the author's not saying that speed doesn't matter, just that at some point it's not worth trading feel for marginal extra pace which can only be rarely exploited on the street.

2) And those without imagination resort to name-calling. Some loyal "diehards" who've supported Porsche with their wallets for decades simply want a choice of trannys, rather than dismissive retorts from its employees (specifically including those who quite memorably came up with the term "granny paddles" for what he's now touting).
Old 04-29-2013, 05:17 PM
frayed
Race Car

As I read the article I could not help but to get the feeling the writer did not want to like the car.
Agreed. It's a 'consolation prize' b/c it doesn't have a clutch pedal; the lack of one completely jaded the way he views the new metal. His mind was already made up b/c he doesn't like auto manuals b/c none of them are interesting enough.

Ultimately, all he could conclude is even though I am slower with manual I prefer it. My question is if speed does not matter why bother to track or race? You can enjoy manual on any car including very slow ones if fun is what you are after. Diehards invariably adopt a cretin mentality when facing the future.
Nobody here is going to earn a living in connection with the purchase or driving an the new GT3. So, I think it's all about entertainment. Speed is just one component of being entertained. Some put a third pedal above speed in defining entertainment, some put that as the primary, most important feature.

I'm a softening manual die hard hopeful the box is 'good enough' when combined with the what the rest of the car offers.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I can't remember R&T complaining about a lack of "involvement" when they tested the 458 and McLaren with auto-manuals, but whatever. The "I can't possibly have fun in a car unless I have a clutch pedal to play with" argument is pretty funny, any way you look at it.

Interesting and generally very positive pre-review. Looking forward to hard numbers in addition to subjective opinions. No comments re: the author's positive remarks about RWS, EM steering, ability to defeat nannies, engine power, engine sound, performance, etc? Must be hard to rationalize how he can agree about PDK, but disagree so completely with all the other stuff some people have been complaining about for months. Best not to mention those other things...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road and Track first drive: 991 GT3