Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road and Track first drive: 991 GT3

Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
1. "I don't get this Stone Age idea about what a 911 should be," says Andreas Preuninger, the man responsible for Porsche's GT cars"
Yes, this one bothers the hell out of me, too.

Then why not make it mid-engine... rear-engined seems like even more of a Stone Aged idea of what a 911 should be...
Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 743 Posts

Wow.

So much anger directed at me.

Speaks volumes about those displaying it...
Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
And that's the crux of it for a lot of us.

If the new 991 'GT3' is going to have minimal (if any) linkage to the racing cars, then it isn't a GT3.

It could still be a great car - though it is definitely not something aimed at me, or many other GT-car owners/buyers.
Spot on. In fact I'll even go as far as say that the 991 GT3 IS a great car. It's the pinnacle of the regular Carrera 991 which means it will have a beautiful interior with fantastic fit and finish alongside one of the most powerful naturally aspirated motors on the market and Porsche's reputation for reliability to boot.

That being said - what about this car makes it a GT3? How can it have virtually no parts in common with the Motorsports model and nearly all its parts in common with the regular Carreras and still carry the GT3 label?

The new GT3 is not the new GT3, it's the new Carrera GTS on steroids. If that's what you're looking to buy than more power to you but some of us are going to mourn the loss of the street car linked to Porsche Motorsport regardless.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
1. "I don't get this Stone Age idea about what a 911 should be," says Andreas Preuninger, the man responsible for Porsche's GT cars"
Yes, this one bothers the hell out of me, too.

Then why not make it mid-engine... rear-engined seems like even more of a Stone Aged idea of what a 911 should be...
In time the 911 may be mid engined but still keep its shape if they keep extending the wheel base.., I wouldn't be concerned of that.

They have to start slow, first remove the manual and then get on with the rest....Rome wasn't built in a day you know.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

I thought the 991GT3 engine except for its block is totally different than the other 911's? Also, its transmission is totally different. So what parts are you referring to when you write that the car shares almost all the parts with the common Carrera?
Old 04-30-2013, 04:29 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I thought the 991GT3 engine except for its block is totally different than the other 911's? Also, its transmission is totally different. So what parts are you referring to when you write that the car shares almost all the parts with the common Carrera?
I guess we'll have to wait and see as I don't think Porsche has released a .pdf yet with all the parts in the 991 GT3.

What we won't have to wait and see about is that it shares nothing in common with the Motorsports model as the last GT3 did.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by destaccado
Spot on. In fact I'll even go as far as say that the 991 GT3 IS a great car. It's the pinnacle of the regular Carrera 991 which means it will have a beautiful interior with fantastic fit and finish alongside one of the most powerful naturally aspirated motors on the market and Porsche's reputation for reliability to boot.

That being said - what about this car makes it a GT3? How can it have virtually no parts in common with the Motorsports model and nearly all its parts in common with the regular Carreras and still carry the GT3 label?

The new GT3 is not the new GT3, it's the new Carrera GTS on steroids. If that's what you're looking to buy than more power to you but some of us are going to mourn the loss of the street car linked to Porsche Motorsport regardless.
+1
Old 04-30-2013, 05:47 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado

Hardly a 911 on steroids. This has become hilarious.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,700 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Seems that a lot of the debate is related to what the 991 GT3 is supposed to be:

1. Race car tamed enough to be streetable?
2. Really fast but streetable DE track car?
3. Really fast street car that's trackable?

#1 would be nice, whereas the car seems more #2. I hope it's not just #3, since the 991S already covers #3 adequately. Personally, I could live with #2, since I'd track it a lot but not race it.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
.....but why do you keep on bitching over and over and over again in every single thread.....What do we generally call these types again???

AP is exactly right - SHUT UP AND DRIVE it. If you don't like it after having driven it, then DON'T BUY IT. It is as painfully simple as that. No one's forcing you to buy one. NO ONE.

Yes, I remember the pages and pages and pages of "complaints". .....But you didn't see me wasting 20,000+ posts bitching about it online.

Either drive it and decide, or buy something else. Please. Thank you.
This sums it up about as well as anything I've seen. The answer to the question posed is tr...uhh tro....uhh wait it'll come to me.....
Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

^^Thanks for reinforcing the point.....
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

And thanks for reinforcing mine.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:17 PM
LotF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Seems that a lot of the debate is related to what the 991 GT3 is supposed to be:

1. Race car tamed enough to be streetable?
2. Really fast but streetable DE track car?
3. Really fast street car that's trackable?

#1 would be nice, whereas the car seems more #2. I hope it's not just #3, since the 991S already covers #3 adequately. Personally, I could live with #2, since I'd track it a lot but not race it.
1) The new RSR race car is homologated from the 991 C4S, so no track link to the GT3
2) Do you need 20" center locks on a street car or DE car? Would you rather have smaller 5 lugs and cheaper tires for more track fun / $$? Not to mention CL maintenance. No sport bucket seat option for a 6 pt harness for dual street/track use
3) Marketing .. C2S, X51 option, GT3. It's #3. The C2S is adequate. The solution to the problem is a bigger engine. All the electronics is a bandaid.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
And thanks for reinforcing mine.
Which was.....you...you....Kool-Aid drinker?

How silly and juvenile.

Almost as silly as people repeating the same complaints over and over and over in every thread that pops up on this forum. You yourself said that the question about why they called it a GT3 had been posed 1000 times! Slightly hyperbolic, but not by much. Exactly what result do people expect from doing that? Einstein had something to say about that kind of behavior.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. They're just not entitled to inject it into every single conversation.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-30-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road and Track first drive: 991 GT3