Sponsored by:

GT3 991 tyres

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 AM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 991 tyres

since this is my first posting, i'd like lo introduce myself to the forum. my name is peter and i am one of those porsche fans, who have ordered a GT3 991 precisely because it became somewhat more soft-core daily drivable PDK etc.....sorry guys, but this is the way it is, i am probably in AP's new target group---)))
i have high respect for people who track their cars but i am just not one of them (maybe i shall try when the GT3 gets in). the reason i ordered the GT3 and not a C2S or C4S is very simple: the 9K revving engine, fast PDK, noise...., just the total experience.
here is a question: i have no experience with semi slicks and i'd prefer to change over from the original Dunlop Maxx Race to the regular Carrera 4S HP tyres, simply because of their better aquaplaning behaviour. they have precisely the same dimensions as the GT3 911 original tyres. also,the Carrera 4S PZeros have the Porsche N rating, but do i have to
worry about other issues? drivability of the GT3 with regular HP tyros? warranty?
suspension issues?
thanks for helping a soft-core GT3 fan,
peter
Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,785 Likes on 2,193 Posts

^ If you're not going to track it, you can use any tire appropriate for your climate. But if you're going to get a 991 GT3, I'd urge you to track it at least once to see what that's all about.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:12 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Markow,

I don't know anyone who has experience with the Dunlop Maxx Race tires, yet.
I wouldn't really call them semi-slicks - I'd reserve that for tires like the Kumho V710, Hankook Z214, Toyo Proxis RR or any of the Hoosiers. Tires like the Maxx Race and MPSC attempt to make a very 'streetable' tire that can deal with normal conditions - and I think they succeed admirably.

I've run R-compound tires on the road for almost 25 years. While most of that has been in California that also includes multiple trips to Oregon, several cross country runs and a driving school at Portland International. As Manifold says, you need to consider the climate.

In my experience:
  • R-compounds really don't like temperatures below the mid-40's (F). They take a long time to warm up at that.
  • R-compounds grip better on wet pavement than most other tires, even with minimal tread left
  • R-compounds are more likely to hydroplane with standing/running, but are quicker to come back when they get through it

Beyond the tire compound and tread pattern, R-compound tires performance comes from the carcass design and the stiffer sidewalls they have. A lot of the non-R-compound (even the N-rated) tires will ride and handle very differently with non-Rs.

Your signature doesn't show your location/climate, and I have no guess on your driving experience, but since you ask... if you've been driving long enough to have driven cars without ABS and traction/stability control, or have driven cars with balding tires in the past - each of those require more skill than driving an R-compound in a downpour with modern nannies/safety devices enabled.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM
markow
Racer

stevecolletti,
thanks for your posting. my (main) location is cambridge, UK. rather wet at times.....
my driving experience is bmw's (M5 current drive....does it all for you in too much comfort for my taste), a fiat 458 (gone now, excellent care but too ostentatious), a C4S 997 (gone as well) and various other bmw's and mercs.
the main idea of getting the GT3 is to change my ownership experience. but in the UK climate with frequent downpours and my annual scotland trip i am not so sure i want to risk with the dunlop maxx race....
there are very conflicting reports on the R compound tires. some say ok, if you just slow down under heavy rain (below 60mph). others say they do not belong on public roads.
i am a bit confused...

manifold, yes, i shall track the car at least once. you are right, it is a must.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

I'll have Sport Maxx Race tires on my car by the end of the week, I'll report back on how they do on the street in cooler conditions.

In answer to your original question, the only slightly sub-optimal thing I see with using N spec summer tires is that I'd expect the traction and stability control to be tuned for the R compounds which likely have a different slip profile. You might not even notice.

While I'd be tempted to give the Maxx Race a go and see how they do (I am, obviously), I agree that for someplace like Scotland consistency of performance at lower temperatures is probably more important than absolute grip. While the Maxx race looks like it has plenty of void area to keep up with traffic on wet roads, I do expect that grip will be way off at anything approaching 65 degrees vs a summer tire like a Pilot Super Sport. I'll let you know if that proves to be true.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petevb
I'll have Sport Maxx Race tires on my car by the end of the week, I'll report back on how they do on the street in cooler conditions.
I look forward to hearing. What sizes are you going with?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:52 PM
markow
Racer

yes please report back about the tyres. i am very much looking forward to your report.

In answer to your original question, the only slightly sub-optimal thing I see with using N spec summer tires is that I'd expect the traction and stability control to be tuned for the R compounds which likely have a different slip profile. You might not even notice.

While I'd be tempted to give the Maxx Race a go and see how they do (I am, obviously), I agree that for someplace like Scotland consistency of performance at lower temperatures is probably more important than absolute grip. While the Maxx race looks like it has plenty of void area to keep up with traffic on wet roads, I do expect that grip will be way off at anything approaching 65 degrees vs a summer tire like a Pilot Super Sport. I'll let you know if that proves to be true.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I look forward to hearing. What sizes are you going with?
I'm trying these on my 1M, so 245 and 265 35 19s. Should have them mounted by Wednesday, taking off fresh PSS, and I've got R-S3s on another set of wheels for the car, so it should be a good comparison.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I'll likely soon be trying the SportMaxx Race on our Cayman R as well, and will report back on how it goes.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

I'm trying these on my 1M, so 245 and 265 35 19s. Should have them mounted by Wednesday, taking off fresh PSS, and I've got R-S3s on another set of wheels for the car, so it should be a good comparison.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'll likely soon be trying the SportMaxx Race on our Cayman R as well, and will report back on how it goes.
Also can't wait. What are they replacing? Thanks!

I'm looking for how they compare to the the MPSCs. I'm considering them for the Cayman R and 997.1RS.

I apologize to the OP for leading the thread off-track, but there is very little info on these tires, so far.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I'm looking for how they compare to the the MPSCs. I'm considering them for the Cayman R and 997.1RS.

I apologize to the OP for leading the thread off-track, but there is very little info on these tires, so far.
On the Cayman R, I've tried PS2, AD08, and RE11. Staying with the 19" wheels, there haven't been a lot of R-comp options. MPSCs and Corsas are around $2,000 whereas the SportMaxx Race is closer to $1,600, and possibly better performance than both, so I'm hopeful.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:18 PM
markow
Racer

On the Cayman R, I've tried PS2, AD08, and RE11. Staying with the 19" wheels, there haven't been a lot of R-comp options. MPSCs and Corsas are around $2,000 whereas the SportMaxx Race is closer to $1,400, and possibly better performance than both, so I'm hopeful.
Thanks!

no need to apologize, this is right on target. i want to know what to expect from those tyros.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:09 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by markow
no need to apologize, this is right on target. i want to know what to expect from those tyros.
Thanks, then I'll impose just a little longer.

On the Cayman R, I've tried PS2, AD08, and RE11. Staying with the 19" wheels, there haven't been a lot of R-comp options. MPSCs and Corsas are around $2,000 whereas the SportMaxx Race is closer to $1,600, and possibly better performance than both, so I'm hopeful.
I've never liked PS2s. They came on my CR. The wet grip was good, but nowhere near as good as PSSs (have on wife's Boxster S), nor did they grip as well in the dry. The suspension never felt like it was working... like the mush in the sidewall (PSSs feel really mushy too - probably mushier, but they have a lot of other advantages) was the suspension. When you went through a high-speed undulation, then the sidewall and the suspension moved independently. MPSCs transformed the car, but I'm hoping the MAXX Race bring competition, since as you say, there's not a lot of choices in those sizes.

Thanks, you have good tire experiences for comparison!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:42 AM
sandy59
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello Markow,

I'd say you'll get most of the new GT3 experience on the road with the more standard tyres you mention, it's not as if you'll be able to safely push the car to it's limits much on UK roads.
However I wouldn't discount the sports tyres completely, the Pirelli Corsas and Michelin Cups on the last cars were surprisingly good in the damp and light rain, but yes not so good if you hit standing water at speed.
If you run the car in cold weather in the UK, I'd say the standard tyres will be better, I have Corsas up in Scotland and wheel spin in cold weather is quite scary at times !!

You'll end up getting to drive the new GT3 at the Porsche Experience Centre Silverstone at some point, if you change your tyres you can always take your own car back there for a session at about £165 and see how they compare on the limit.

Have you decided on spec & colour etc ??
Old 04-30-2013, 08:02 AM
markow
Racer

hi sandy59,
i shall go for white exterior, leather alcantara interior, front let, no PCCB and a few goodies....
p

Originally Posted by sandy59
Hello Markow,

I'd say you'll get most of the new GT3 experience on the road with the more standard tyres you mention, it's not as if you'll be able to safely push the car to it's limits much on UK roads.
However I wouldn't discount the sports tyres completely, the Pirelli Corsas and Michelin Cups on the last cars were surprisingly good in the damp and light rain, but yes not so good if you hit standing water at speed.
If you run the car in cold weather in the UK, I'd say the standard tyres will be better, I have Corsas up in Scotland and wheel spin in cold weather is quite scary at times !!

You'll end up getting to drive the new GT3 at the Porsche Experience Centre Silverstone at some point, if you change your tyres you can always take your own car back there for a session at about £165 and see how they compare on the limit.

Have you decided on spec & colour etc ??

Quick Reply: GT3 991 tyres