991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 991 tyres

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

^ I see the SMR as a track tire which needs heat, not an autox tire. Will likely have them on track this weekend with the Cayman R.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
^ I see the SMR as a track tire which needs heat, not an autox tire. Will likely have them on track this weekend with the Cayman R.
That's what I expected too, but I overheated them on the autocross to the point that they got greasy and went off. Needed to cool the fronts with water spray to keep temps in check, and I dropped almost a second when I did that. I was surprised I overheated them so easily- never did that with the R-S3s.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:54 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far, they don't sound impressive.

Petevb, am I wrong in taking away that you prefer the MPSSs?
I like the MPSS, but they are no R-compound and the sidewalls are way too mushy for me.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
So far, they don't sound impressive.

Petevb, am I wrong in taking away that you prefer the MPSSs?
I like the MPSS, but they are no R-compound and the sidewalls are way too mushy for me.
For the street I prefer the MPSS currently, though I really need to get more camber in my car to make a fair comparison. I agree the PSS sidewalls are soft, turn-in is not sharp. If you don't like the mushy sidewall of the PSS I don't think you'll like these. So far breakaway seems more progressive and predictable on the PSS, which is something I especially value in a street tire. Normally an R compound will be better than a street tire in that respect, but with these that doesn't seem the case.

I suspect that with a proper alignment these tires will be very fast, but I need to get camber plates and add a degree and a half of camber to test that theory. If they are fun or tricky to drive at the limit remains to be seen. I have a feeling that you may need to be pretty tidy to make them work, which generally isn't my preference.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:14 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
For the street I prefer the MPSS currently, though I really need to get more camber in my car to make a fair comparison. I agree the PSS sidewalls are soft, turn-in is not sharp. If you don't like the mushy sidewall of the PSS I don't think you'll like these. So far breakaway seems more progressive and predictable on the PSS, which is something I especially value in a street tire. Normally an R compound will be better than a street tire in that respect, but with these that doesn't seem the case.

I suspect that with a proper alignment these tires will be very fast, but I need to get camber plates and add a degree and a half of camber to test that theory. If they are fun or tricky to drive at the limit remains to be seen. I have a feeling that you may need to be pretty tidy to make them work, which generally isn't my preference.
Thanks! Exactly what I was hoping for.

Manifold, do you have RSS LCAs on your CR?
Old 05-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

That's what I expected too, but I overheated them on the autocross to the point that they got greasy and went off. Needed to cool the fronts with water spray to keep temps in check, and I dropped almost a second when I did that. I was surprised I overheated them so easily- never did that with the R-S3s.
Strange ... you'd think the 991 GT3 and C63 BS would come with a tire which can handle the heat. Maybe the problem was more excessive tire pressure rather than heat?

What are your current alignment specs?

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Manifold, do you have RSS LCAs on your CR?
No LCAs on the CR. IIRC, front camber is 1.5, rear camber is 2.3, a little bit of front toe out, a little bit of rear toe in.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
What are your current alignment specs?
-1.3 degrees front, -1.5 degrees rear. Guys with camber plates run around -3 degrees on the front of the 1M. Outside front was getting ~30 degrees hotter than the inside.

Quick Reply: GT3 991 tyres