Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint to Sample: can the factory do

BMW's Frozen Paint?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I think someone posted recently that no decision has been made yet on if/when PTS will be available at all on the GT3, much less whether they can do that kind of paint job.....
Old 04-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

I often wondered what how that paint job is identified. Not many around though I have seen two different color schemes on 430's. FWIW, the car looks unfinished.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:34 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Get it wrapped. IMO that look is played out but at least a wrap will provide some optionality.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:41 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike - At least for UK market ...decision on Paint to Sample will be made by PAG in June
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM
frayed
Race Car

Gotchya.

As for played out, I guess I've only seen 2 or 3 in person. And one of those was in Munich. Thought it looks cool, especially in silver/gray/black.

But it may be too much of a fad.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

yes, it's played out.
makes the car look plastic.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Slowekistan
Intermediate

Cars with curvaceous shapes look quite horrible. Mat goes well with straight surfaces and sharp edges (lambo, nissan).
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by brownan
Get it wrapped. IMO that look is played out but at least a wrap will provide some optionality.
100% this. I think it looks great (also like the matte white), but I would really like the option of peeling it back to something normal when the fad passes.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Also, tough resale.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:51 PM
frayed
Race Car

Sounds good. Just thought I'd axe
Old 04-29-2013, 06:37 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

In Manhattan every other POS has been murdered-out. Generally the driver is a clown in an Ed Hardy shirt.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
BMW's Frozen Paint?

I highly doubt you'll get a dealer trying to replicate a matte finish like that.

When Porsche takes an order for Paint to Sample (PTS) the first thing they do is a feasibility study to make sure that they can duplicate the effect on steel, Aluminum, plastic, carbon fiber and any other material that will be painted in this color. If Porsche can't guarantee that the paint will match on all those different materials and that they'll fade together they won't do the color.

I can't see this happening and if I were you I'd suggest a matte wrap for a few grand. A friend of mine just wrapped his Tesla in Matte White, it cost about 2-3K and it looks incredible! That's a safer bet for that effect if you ask me.

If you need a guy in LA that does this I have a shot that I can ABSOLUTELY recommend!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Eduardo posted a great thread on this very topic (last fall/winter) which resurfaced recently on the 991 forum...

Here you go:
Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You!
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

-B
Old 05-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default 'Matte finish' as PTS and as a possible option in series production!

Two questions to deal with here: The OP's 'Will Porsche allow a 'matte/frozen finish' as PTS in the short term?' And the more general 'Will Porsche ever offer a 'matte/frozen finish' in series production?'

The answer to the first question is probably a resounding 'No', simply because this paint will for sure cause warranty issues down the line for the first four years of factory coverage! As they will most likely see it, the liabilities involved in doing a Porsche in this 'matte finish' are not worth the added $5,500 they get for PTS, not all of that which is profit!

On the more general question of 'matte/frozen finish' as a future option on series production, I agree with the general consensus here that Porsche will not offer it anytime soon! But I personally have no basis for that belief other than a 'gut feeling', given what I know about Porsche. But we must not lose sight that an INCREASING number of Porsche's competitors are offering this type of paint and there MAY be a time when Porsche decides to test the water with a version of its own! It all depends on what their market research is telling them about the actual demand for this 'Matte Finish' in the Porsche markets which they really care about!

As most of you know, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Ferrari (to name but a few) offer this type of paint on some of their 'upscale' models! I actually saw a few of these 'Matte Finish' cars being built during my April factory tours in Europe, including at the Ferrari factory in Maranello! I specifically asked the Audi tour guide at the R8 assembly line at Neckarsulm about these 'matte' paints. The US MY2014 R8 offers at least one 'matte finish' paint (e.g. a Blue hue) on their v10 Plus model!! He openly dissed them in front of our group and said he would never recommend them - they required too much 'maintenance' to be kept looking good! I, for one, would not be interested in ordering this type of paint. But time will tell if Porsche succumbs to the 'matte finish' vogue or if they ride it out & the fad fizzles out in the end! It must certainly will if the auto manufacturer's (BMW, MB, Audi, etc) warranty claims - especially in the US where the term is the longest at 4 years! - leads them to re-evaluate re: whether this 'matte finish' should be offered at all! Time will tell!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO
Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint to Sample: can the factory do