Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Delivery Dates.......????

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Well, the delay has caused me to look seriously at the McLaren MP4-12C Spider. The more I investigate the car the better I like it. As one owner wrote, it is a GT3, TTS, Ferrari looks and can ride like a MB. And it is a convertible!

Downside is double the price of the GT3.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:15 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Well, the delay has caused me to look seriously at the McLaren MP4-12C Spider. The more I investigate the car the better I like it. As one owner wrote, it is a GT3, TTS, Ferrari looks and can ride like a MB. And it is a convertible!

Downside is double the price of the GT3.
You are confused.

The delay in US allocations does not = a delay in taking delivery of your car. Good grief.

Second, while I've not driven the McLaren, there are several posters who own that, 430/458, and RS's. I recall multiple people saying that it's an immensely capable rig, and on paper a winner but leaves a lot to be desired in terms of driving dynamics. . . . doesn't have a lot of character.

But best of luck whatever you decide.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:28 PM
markow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
You are confused.

The delay in US allocations does not = a delay in taking delivery of your car. Good grief.

Second, while I've not driven the McLaren, there are several posters who own that, 430/458, and RS's. I recall multiple people saying that it's an immensely capable rig, and on paper a winner but leaves a lot to be desired in terms of driving dynamics. . . . doesn't have a lot of character.

But best of luck whatever you decide.
i have test driven the MP4-12C twice last week and i absolutely like it. the ride quality is amazing, better than my BMW M5 on the soft setting and if wanted - by a turn of a dial - it becomes super-stiff. similar with throttle response etc....the noise is low in the soft setting but very intense when dialing things up. i even prefer it over the fiat 458 (it has normal signal and light stalks...) but the ones currently available have no front lift and i already tore off an underbody flap in the test drive when crossing a bump close to my home....
peter
Old 06-16-2013, 03:31 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

I am a big fan MP4-12C as well. The only thing stopping me is that it's too much car for what I need - just would not feel right to turn it into daily hooligan and track bitch, plus expensive to run or put into a wall. But based on MP4-12C, I am really intrigued by the rumored smaller McLaren. It's years away, though.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:00 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
The goal is to produce 918.
And they're starting production on 18 sep ie 9/18
Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by markow
i have test driven the MP4-12C twice last week and i absolutely like it. the ride quality is amazing, better than my BMW M5 on the soft setting and if wanted - by a turn of a dial - it becomes super-stiff. similar with throttle response etc....the noise is low in the soft setting but very intense when dialing things up. i even prefer it over the fiat 458 (it has normal signal and light stalks...) but the ones currently available have no front lift and i already tore off an underbody flap in the test drive when crossing a bump close to my home....
peter
IMHO its not even in the same league as the 991 GT3. You are comparing apples with oranges. as you say yourself its twice the price of the 991 GT3! Infact in the first 5 years of ownership it will likely depreciate nearly the full price of a base GT3...
Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 AM
az audi
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is apples to oranges, but really, what is apples to apples for a GT3, in performance and price point?

Everything I read and hear from owners is how great the suspension is on the MP4-12C. I scheduled a test drive a while back but became busy and did not make it out. Need to set that up again; I keep hearing it is the best drivers car.

I will say, IMO, the 12C is lacking a little in style compared to the 458. And getting out of a 12C was not exactly graceful for me; could not see doing it in a suite, or taking the wife out for dinner in a dress. Maybe she is more coordinated than me; not sure.

Any way, back on topic, any word on allocation for the US? I keep being told next week... I can't wait to formally put my order in and find out if the dealer is going to press for sticker plus.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

The latest rumor is either end of June or early July. Either way we will not have a lot of time to spec the car and make changes. This will be even more problematic for us if additional options are made available. For an example, there is a strong rumor that Black wheels will be an option for September orders.

Quick Reply: GT3 Delivery Dates.......????