Sponsored by:

Bucket seats in the 991GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
It's a powerful capability in the repertoire of a CEO to be literally hands on with product and customer alike. That he could talk comfortably from first hand information and be confident and fully informed of related factors suggests he's not just a bureaucrat. This is a ray of sunlight in the cloudy skies of Porsche!

In my years as a "due diligence" tech person for M&A in Silicon Valley over the course of the last three decades, I developed a system for scoring ("points factor evaluation" for those in this game) which put considerable weight on factors related to executive "C3" team, especially hands-on product knowledge and customer involvement. I remember being one of the very few naysayers in an 8 figure acquisition where my principal objection centered around the CEO not having the product installed on his laptop.

That the Porsche CEO is intimately familiar with such a trivial (sorry, but seats are relatively trivial in the grand scheme of running Porsche!) matter and be confident in his awareness and control of the situation bodes well for Porsche AG.

I envisage him as someone who drives the 991 (sedately or vigorously, no matter) and congratulates the team on a resounding success then promptly reports the shortcomings he sees to be addressed in the .2 model year.

As for PCNA, it's SNAFU -- rather than be vocal customer advocates and offer solutions or at the very least, know the facts and communicate directly to the market, they bury their collective heads and encourage customers to consider which of the wildly overpriced headlight options is the most "visually impactful design aesthetic language" ... sheesh.
FYI - as Eduardo correctly says, Detlev von Platen is the CEO of PCNA.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
oh dear. Scratch that. We're all screwed.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Detlev is quite charming and has no shortage of charisma. He is a significantly more articulate speaker than Porsche global CEO Matthias Müller. The latter is painful to watch at product conferences when he speaks, either in German or English. And, in my opinion, he does not appear that well versed specific Porsche matters too! Some of you might remember Matthias telling auto magazines in 2011 that the next 991 gt3 would indeed be a manual and not PDK! Matthias was born in Karl-Marx-Stadt in East Germany. And that is probably where he got all of his relaxed charm and informality!

It would not surprise me if VW appoints Detlev to a CEO position at Porsche in the future. He is actually a Frenchman, but born of German parents. I think he is destined to higher things at Porsche!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Good news on the buckets.....we'll get them eventually.
I think I'm going to keep my CGT/GT seats forever.
Retrofit....
Old 04-27-2013, 04:08 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I posted a question as to why buckets seats were not available for the 991GT3 in the US. Here is what one posted and was backed up by another. Both are very knowledgeable about Porsche and live in Germany.

Maybe a misunderstanding I understood that you can't order the narrow non-foldable bucket seats (which came with the Club Sport package in previous GT3 generations) anymore. Instead you can order the foldable bucket seats (which first were introduced in the 997 GT2). These are the seats displayed at the auto shows. Indeed there is a legal reason: the foldable bucket seats come with thorax airbags. I have those in my 997 GT3 and IMO they are excellent for both street and track Of course I am not sure about the situation in the US but maybe it's worthwile for you to double check which kind of bucket seats are not available in the US.

The second poster indicated that the foldable bucket seats were designed and approve for the US market. What do the foldable look like?
Bucket seats might become available on the GT3 in 2014 calendar year after the introduction of the 991 GT3 RS for 2014 or 2015 model year.

If you want to know what they'll look like, I might suggest taking a close look at the most recent photos of the 918.

Ryan
Beverly Hills Porsche
Old 04-27-2013, 04:50 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanPerrella
Bucket seats might become available on the GT3 in 2014 calendar year after the introduction of the 991 GT3 RS for 2014 or 2015 model year.

If you want to know what they'll look like, I might suggest taking a close look at the most recent photos of the 918.

Ryan
Beverly Hills Porsche
Sorry Ryan. You obviously haven't been following the threads here. See, the buckets aren't available b/c PAG wants to keep the car off the track and they are afraid of mean US lawyers. They'll never show up.

Also, the 20" wheels and rumored 21" wheels on the RS have the sole function of keeping track rubber off the GT3.

And, rear wheel steering will cause somebody here to fly off the track at 200 mph (worst case) or simply break and give you the run time of a GTR on track (best case).

And PDK is for sissies.

I'm sure I missed a few other salient observations.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

If you want to know what they'll look like, I might suggest taking a close look at the most recent photos of the 918. Ryan
Beverly Hills Porsche
Don't bet on this!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Bologna, Italy
Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ryan
Beverly Hills Porsche
Originally Posted by frayed
Sorry Ryan. You obviously haven't been following the threads here. See, the buckets aren't available b/c PAG wants to keep the car off the track and they are afraid of mean US lawyers. They'll never show up.

Also, the 20" wheels and rumored 21" wheels on the RS have the sole function of keeping track rubber off the GT3.

And, rear wheel steering will cause somebody here to fly off the track at 200 mph (worst case) or simply break and give you the run time of a GTR on track (best case).

And PDK is for sissies.

I'm sure I missed a few other salient observations.
Wouldn't you think sport buckets will be available when the 991 model line, (perhaps even Cayman) make them available?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

US regulations had changed and that seat (as was optioned in MY2012 in the US) could not be offered on the 991/981 without modification. And that is what they were working on! I report...you decide!
Eduardo - I want to go with you on your next trip! Le Mans 2014 for Porsche's return to LMP1?

As an aside, a good friend of mine is in the process of ordering a new Vette and is having the same problem with ordering the competition bucket seats - they are currently not available. Does sound like a possible change in govt regulations.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'm coming too ;-)

The Corvette's seats are just not available for early delivery, word is they are just 2-3 months behind the initial runs.

Quick Reply: Bucket seats in the 991GT3