Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha. Too funny
Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
mooty, so you thinking you will pass on the 991 RS when it comes out. . . and perhaps tempted by the new Coxster?

Later on in the product cycle when the Coxster R comes out it should be spectacular. The Cayman S was a bit soft. Once that car takes a set in a corner you can play with it. Reminded me of the tractability of my E36.
throw on a set of MCS.

not really sure what the hell i will do. may just keep my tow RS's and forget everything until next gen PDK on 992.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

-drove the Cayman S today. It was a freaking blast. It is light years ahead of the old Cayman, and my pick over the 991S. If I couldn't get a GT3, or had to wait for a year or two for a slot to open, I'd lease one for a couple years.
Did you ever drive a Cayman R. I wonder which one would be a better track car with keeping in mind a car for the track and not just for cars and coffee.

People are raving about the styling but to be honest I think the Boxster looks better. The rear haunches are a bit too curvy/rounded, while the Boxster seems to have flatter haunches and somehow has a bit more presence.

I agree, I like the new Cayman head lights but the rear hatch doesn't do it for me. The Boxster is a much better looking car.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:55 PM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick the only thing not to like is that I cant get one because nobody know when they will be available....They must be talking to apple......Ohhh thats right financially it works just peachy for apple so their I go I answered my own question. Build the mystic and sell more......
Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Here's what I learned

- no US allocations yet, but based on projections he already has a full list.
- This rig has generated a lot of interest despite no third party testing yet. New customers are coming in who have never owned a Porsche, requesting a spot on the list
-drove the Cayman S today. It was a freaking blast. It is light years ahead of the old Cayman, and my pick over the 991S. If I couldn't get a GT3, or had to wait for a year or two for a slot to open, I'd lease one for a couple years.
the new cayman?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
And because the big wing aero will get them bragging rights at C&C!
Don't worry - when they see the cup holders, they will run away!
Old 04-27-2013, 02:19 AM
Dude-
Pro

This forum is great. I find it funny that people actually believe potential new GT3 customers are attracted because they can't drive stick. . Everyone knows that a GT3 in any form is a drivers car. It usually draws a special breed of car enthusiast. If one does not know how to drive stick and so so passionate about cars, I bet they will rather get the 911 Turbo. Its faster (by stats), more comfortable, more expensive (prestige) and above all....a 4 seater.
I race my vettes and abandoned GM because I can not stand that camaro look. I decided on the new GT3 because the looks are stunning and the technology is cool. My DD is a modded X6M which has a pretty good auto-manual shifter. In driving both cars, I can see how a PDK may improve the GT3 not to mention saving the GT3 from extinction in competing with others in the future.
So yes, I'm a new buyer, yes I know to how drive stick very well.

As for new from my local dealer- a hand full is on the list and the allocations are weeks away. Once they get the allocation a full deposit is require so they can complete the build specs with their customers. Delivery is still looking like Nov.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:50 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Did you ever drive a Cayman R. I wonder which one would be a better track car with keeping in mind a car for the track and not just for cars and coffee.

I agree, I like the new Cayman head lights but the rear hatch doesn't do it for me. The Boxster is a much better looking car.
Never drove the old R. I remember Randy Pobst's comments in the best driver's car video. Even though it didn't make the top 3, Randy exclaimed during his track testing that 'this has to be the best handling car I've ever driven.'

Can you imagine what the next Cayman R will be like when introduced at the end of the production run? It's gonna be killer.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
the new cayman?
Yep. The new one. Got to drive the the first S that hit the ground in Austin. Rocking fun car.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never drove the old R. I remember Randy Pobst's comments in the best driver's car video. Even though it didn't make the top 3, Randy exclaimed during his track testing that 'this has to be the best handling car I've ever driven.'

Can you imagine what the next Cayman R will be like when introduced at the end of the production run? It's gonna be killer.

Yep. The new one. Got to drive the the first S that hit the ground in Austin. Rocking fun car.
And that was with crap tires and not enough camber.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

I think the next Cayman R will be out sooner than that - maybe MY2014...
Old 04-28-2013, 01:45 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting this thread Frayed. Glad to see you back in the Porsche fold after a few years on the sidelines!

Like you, I test drove a 991S & a Boxster S (last October) back to back - and hands-down preferred the Boxster as a driver. I really like the styling of the 991, and may get a 991S Cab as a DD - but for those Friday/Saturday street "fun runs" - I bet the new Cayman is a blast!

I was at MMP (Utah) yesterday for my first HPDE of the season, and watched a last generation Cayman R run laps. The car looked perfectly balanced, and the driver was getting nice rotation. It looked like a very capable combi street/track car Is it worth leaving the GT3 fold? Probably not. It had taken me 6 years to get the PERFECT set-up on my 996 GT3, and turn-in is like cutting through butter with a hot knife.... I believe that a GT3 will always be my track car - just not sure which variant to move to next (996/997 Cup, 997.2street, or 991 street). Like many have said on this board, I'll need to drive the new GT3 before knowing what to do...

-B
Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by blake
Thanks for posting this thread Frayed. Glad to see you back in the Porsche fold after a few years on the sidelines!

Like you, I test drove a 991S & a Boxster S (last October) back to back - and hands-down preferred the Boxster as a driver. I really like the styling of the 991, and may get a 991S Cab as a DD - but for those Friday/Saturday street "fun runs" - I bet the new Cayman is a blast!

I was at MMP (Utah) yesterday for my first HPDE of the season, and watched a last generation Cayman R run laps. The car looked perfectly balanced, and the driver was getting nice rotation. It looked like a very capable combi street/track car Is it worth leaving the GT3 fold? Probably not. It had taken me 6 years to get the PERFECT set-up on my 996 GT3, and turn-in is like cutting through butter with a hot knife.... I believe that a GT3 will always be my track car - just not sure which variant to move to next (996/997 Cup, 997.2street, or 991 street). Like many have said on this board, I'll need to drive the new GT3 before knowing what to do...

-B
Thanks Blake. Yeah, if there was a Cayman GT3 I'd own it despite the somewhat awkward rear haunches (IMO). There's a next level of development in the GT cars that the others don't have. So many nuanced differences from stiffer bushings to revised suspension settings and steering enhancements. . . the Cayman, when not at 6/10's, feels a bit disconnected. Every GT car I've been in feels intense even at legal speeds.

Not sure if that makes sense. But that's why I can't bypass the new GT3 and just get a Cayman and throw a set of Motons on it.

Or, one of the reputable aftermarket companies can buy a body in white and get the GT3 powerplant in it, etc etc. But it simply won't have the level of development that goes into a factory car.

Quick Reply: Spent a few hours at the dealer this afternoon