Sponsored by:

Back on Topic thread - Who's ordered

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:39 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Back on Topic thread - Who's ordered

I'm thinking about ordering a 991 having sold my 997.2 GT3 recently. Are there any like minded souls left on here or is this forum doomed to threads about Cayman GT3s, M4s, interrogating Preuninger about manual gearboxes...

Has anyone here ordered one and if so, share your thinking and spec?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

This thread may be doomed, but let's see how far we can get before the first post complaining about PDK, seats, RWS, 20" wheels, what have you!

I want to autocross this car, do some DE, and enjoy it on the road. I've not placed an order yet because my dealer hasn't firmed up their GT3 allocations, but I'm first on the waiting list and am 95% certain to buy one. My goal is to keep options to $10-12K. I need front axle lift and will get the upgraded leather interior. PCM and Nav are no cost options in the US but you must include the upgraded sound package which ends up costing $700. Seats are the question. If sport buckets become available in time I'll order them, otherwise I haven't decided whether to go with the standard or adaptive sport seats, with the intention of retrofitting buckets later. A few minor odds and ends and I can stay close to my budget. Exterior color: for now I'm thinking Agate Grey.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:03 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the US allocations have not yet been given out, at least to my knowledge. Has the UK dealer network gotten allocations? Anyway here's my spec

Guards Red
LED headlights
90L fuel tank
front end lift
red seat belts
light package
PCM
Sound package pluss
European Delivery!!

Agate gray is a second choice for color but I'm pretty sure I'll stick with Guards red. My 997 GT3 was speed yellow and my 5 other 911s have all been black. Time for a change.

$139,500
Old 04-13-2013, 06:09 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I may have to vote with my wallet since Sport Bucket Seats are not on the menu!
They are just SO good! Without them why bother?
I have them in my '10
Old 04-13-2013, 06:10 PM
nbrown69
Intermediate

I too have put down a deposit but I'm a lowly number 7 and with allocations not fully known, I may be waiting until early 2014...I am going with the following:
Guards Re
Leather interior in Black/Alcantara, stitching in Guards Red
LED headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS +)
Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sens
Clear glass tail light
Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB)
Front axle lift system
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way
Seat belts in Guards Red
Fire extinguisher
Leather interior package with decorative Red stitching
Steering column casing in leather
Center console trim in Carbon
Carbon interior package (with leather interior)
Sound Package Plus
SiriusXM Satellite Radio® receiver
Old 04-13-2013, 06:13 PM
frayed
Race Car

Dang, that's pretty heavily optioned! PCCBs are so tempting, as I had them on both my 997's.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

I'm pretty much set on ordering, just waiting for US allocations. Planning to order the following:
  • Front axle lift
  • PDLS (headlights)
  • Debating standard or adaptive seats - any thoughts there? I am of a small build, and plan on tracking. If I end up tracking a lot, I'll go aftermarket or Porsche buckets retrofit, so standard probably makes more sense?
  • Dimming mirrors - I often drive in the dark, and the car is low, so this is important for safety and comfort.
  • Extended leather - just to get rid of plastic

Thinking about:
  • Red stitching - it looks interesting, and the car will be Guards Red, but will it be too much?
  • Carbon fiber interior - I like carbon fiber look in general, but in this Porsche CF is the same tone as the rest of the interior, and the whole interior looks less contrasting with CF compared to standard. Any thoughts?
  • Red seatbelts - same concern as with red stitching - will it be too much on the red car or just right?

Now the biggest dilemma is European delivery. I'd really like to do it, but if I can get car without it in November-December, doing ED will mean waiting till at least mid-April and then again waiting more till it's redelivered in the US. Decisions, decisions...
Old 04-13-2013, 06:22 PM
nbrown69
Intermediate

Truthfully, I have never owned pccb. This will be the first. I have thought about it on previous vehicles (ESP my past two CTT's on which I have been burning through rotors) but I cheap out at the last minute...
Old 04-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by frayed
European Delivery!!

Agate gray is a second choice for color but I'm pretty sure I'll stick with Guards red. My 997 GT3 was speed yellow and my 5 other 911s have all been black. Time for a change.

$139,500
Euro delivery is just a great way to get your Porsche! IMO, the only downside is having to wait for your Euro delivery date, and then wait another 6 weeks for the car to be shipped home.

I was convinced initially I wanted Guards, but now think I want something that doesn't scream "arrest me!". Maybe I'm being too conservative. Red is a terrific color for a GT3 in any event....

Since we're posting our full spec:

Agate Grey
Standard or Adaptive seats with leather interior
Front axle lift
Fire extinguisher
90L fuel tank
Smoking package (to eliminate empty space in console)
PCM w/Nav
Sound Plus
Interior package leather (to eliminate silver inlay)
Console trim leather (ditto)

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
[*]Debating standard or adaptive seats - any thoughts there? I am of a small build, and plan on tracking. If I end up tracking a lot, I'll go aftermarket or Porsche buckets retrofit, so standard probably makes more sense?

Thinking about:[*]Carbon fiber interior - I like carbon fiber look in general, but in this Porsche CF is the same tone as the rest of the interior, and the whole interior looks less contrasting with CF compared to standard. Any thoughts?
I've tried the Adaptive seats. The ability to extend the thigh supports is nice and because rake is adjustable you can find a position where your butt is locked down pretty firmly in the seat with decent side support from the adjustable bolsters. Obviously not as good as sport buckets, but they would be great for the street and OK for very occasional track use. Maybe you could see how much tracking you end up doing. It's a $2500 difference between them and the standard seats, so it's not a deal breaker. If you end up getting a harness and track seats, you can swap them out again when you sell the car and perhaps recoup part of that.

Hard to give advice on the subjective stuff like stitching, etc. Although I had no problems with this in my 996, in case you don't know. the CF trim Porsche uses is actually plastic with a CF applique. I've heard stories about the CF delaminating. I don't know if this is related to heat, humidity, or whatever, but it might be something to consider.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-13-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a deposit down, #2 on list....

Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting, local dealership in Knoxville has 3 deposits so far.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:37 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Deposit down. Going pretty minimalist: White, Front axle lift (needed for driveway), Sound pkg +/PCM, Sport seats which will be pulled when sport buckets become available (I do belive they will be eventually).

and I am keeping my Cayman R.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
I may have to vote with my wallet since Sport Bucket Seats are not on the menu!
They are just SO good! Without them why bother?
I have them in my '10
Me too! My dealer wants me on the list and offered to put me up there on top. I said yes lets try to work this out and we spec'd a car. When I found out no Sport Bucket Seats I told him no way I'd buy and to take me off the list. My sales guy is a friend 1st...he lives in my neighborhood...does a lot of DE's and instructs with me...so he understands my position.

I'm keeping my GTS for more years because it is set up how I like it...it runs good, zero issues and it is a good looking car. If some other car comes along that has a tranny as good and reliable as PDK, is a reliable car at the track and can be had with harness seats or you can add aftermarket harness seats without disconnecting part of the air bag system I would jump ship to another brand.

However I have really enjoyed Porsche due to it's reliability. However it will be interesting to see how much the Vette and Z28 affect Porsche sales for true enthusiast due to Chevy warranties it's cars mechanically if used on the track.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
However it will be interesting to see how much the Vette and Z28 affect Porsche sales for true enthusiast due to Chevy warranties it's cars mechanically if used on the track.
Mike, sorry to be redundant since I posted this in another thread but thought it might be of interest to anyone here who missed it there. From Chevy's 2014 Warranty manual:

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty
does not cover damage caused as
the result of any of the following:
Misuse of the vehicle such as
driving over curbs, overloading,
racing, or other competition.
Proper vehicle use is discussed
in the owner manual.

FWIW. Maybe there is info somewhere on Chevy changing their policy.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:49 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

white, full leather, red deviated stitching, red belts, dynamic lights w/tinted housing, PCM-nav, SPP, auto-dim mirror- rain sensor, standard sport seats, heated seats, smoker's package for lid and aux. outlet, etc...

Last edited by 911dev; 04-26-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Back on Topic thread - Who's ordered