Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back on Topic thread - Who's ordered

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I fun this debate interesting. We have 3.8RS owners at our track who throw great times on teh board but if put into my 993 will lap slower than I will. Ive watched their lines. they are using power to compensate for "position". Many of them haven't driven anything nearly as organic as a 3.2/964/993 so when faced with the 250-300bhp car that lacks any form of electronic stability system its really interesting to watch them drive. There is 3s between a well driven 3.8 RS and a well driven and lightly modified well driven 964 on our local 2.8km track. Driving the 964 for those lap times takes a fair amount more skill I should say, hitting the right shifts and taking precise lines and leaning on the chassis.

Every now and then a newbie pulls up and kiils a record or gets very close to one driving his daily driver 911 or cayman. Some people have "the gift". For teh rest of us it often goes to show that all the gizmos, weight reduction and extra tuning we do to get 2-3s a lap out of our car can never make up for skill and precision. Basically we are masking our lack of talents with the cloak of technology and extra power. The 991 GT3 will be the biggest cloak yet.

Be prepared to meet many more guys at the track like the guy with the boxster mentioned earlier in this thread. However these ones wont be as gifted as him and they will be driving a 991 GT3 and no matter how much you bitch and moan about ow his car has PDK-S etc hes still beaten you and you still feel a bit silly with your 3.8 or 4.0RS doing 2 seconds slower.

Whats the answer? Buy a 991 GT3 and join them or drink some old skool koolaid and buy an aircooled to use at the track!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:37 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Isn't that what Porsche has just done with the 991 GT3?
Yes. Well, it happened with the '09 PDK Carrera, but the fix was in. The club rules should do something to put PDK cars in a separate class, it's just too much time per lap.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I fun this debate interesting. We have 3.8RS owners at our track who throw great times on teh board but if put into my 993 will lap slower than I will. Ive watched their lines. they are using power to compensate for "position". Many of them haven't driven anything nearly as organic as a 3.2/964/993 so when faced with the 250-300bhp car that lacks any form of electronic stability system its really interesting to watch them drive. There is 3s between a well driven 3.8 RS and a well driven and lightly modified well driven 964 on our local 2.8km track. Driving the 964 for those lap times takes a fair amount more skill I should say, hitting the right shifts and taking precise lines and leaning on the chassis.

Every now and then a newbie pulls up and kiils a record or gets very close to one driving his daily driver 911 or cayman. Some people have "the gift". For teh rest of us it often goes to show that all the gizmos, weight reduction and extra tuning we do to get 2-3s a lap out of our car can never make up for skill and precision. Basically we are masking our lack of talents with the cloak of technology and extra power. The 991 GT3 will be the biggest cloak yet.

Be prepared to meet many more guys at the track like the guy with the boxster mentioned earlier in this thread. However these ones wont be as gifted as him and they will be driving a 991 GT3 and no matter how much you bitch and moan about ow his car has PDK-S etc hes still beaten you and you still feel a bit silly with your 3.8 or 4.0RS doing 2 seconds slower.

Whats the answer? Buy a 991 GT3 and join them or drink some old skool koolaid and buy an aircooled to use at the track!
Of the 911's I have in the garage at the moment, the modified 993 Turbo is by far the quickest, just by virtue of raw horsepower and torque. But it also has RS / GT2 suspension and some "experience" in setup.

Still, I get what you mean.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That's bollox. You'd need a class for those with competition clutches, those with 6 gears and 5 gears and in just a few years you class will be "old timers" and current car models. What about guys with no power steering and ABS like the SC crew or no traction control etc etc etc.

Lines are lines and position is position. If a well driven PDK boxter can match a 997.1 GT3 on Thunderhill then how do you reckon that same driver would do in the 997.1 GT3? Assuming hes not a ripple and can shift gears my bet it he'd beat the 997.1 GT3 drivers times in the same vehicle. Because hes got PDK may only make up for the fact hes 100 bhp down but its actually the guys lines and skills that make the difference. Theres still some fun to be had by actually learning to be a better driver regardless of the power to weight ratio of teh car you are using. Actually I suspect youd learn to be a better driver in a 964 than a 3.8RS if it were your first time to the track. Its like trying to learn t surf from day one on a very short thruster!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

That's bollox. You'd need a class for those with competition clutches, those with 6 gears and 5 gears and in just a few years you class will be "old timers" and current car models. What about guys with no power steering and ABS like the SC crew or no traction control etc etc etc.

Lines are lines and position is position. If a well driven PDK boxter can match a 997.1 GT3 on Thunderhill then how do you reckon that same driver would do in the 997.1 GT3? Assuming hes not a ripple and can shift gears my bet it he'd beat the 997.1 GT3 drivers times in the same vehicle. Because hes got PDK may only make up for the fact hes 100 bhp down but its actually the guys lines and skills that make the difference. Theres still some fun to be had by actually learning to be a better driver regardless of the power to weight ratio of teh car you are using. Actually I suspect youd learn to be a better driver in a 964 than a 3.8RS if it were your first time to the track. Its like trying to learn t surf from day one on a very short thruster!
You lost me at bollocks. Were you really trying to be offensive or just a little coarse?

Anyway, it's not a hypothetical about this driver or that, it's just that PDK is worth too much time to simply add some points and bump it up a class. To me, having had a 997.2 PDK car at the track and a 991S PDK car versus a RS 4.0, to see the astonishing advantage of the PDK out of the turns and up through the gears, it's analogous (though not to be taken literally) to what happened when turbo cars came along, then AWD cars. You can't just adjust the rules and run such unalike cars. Sure, there can be displacement multipliers or ballast, but it just doesn't apply uniformly from race to race, track to track, even day to day.

As for a driver getting out of a PDK Boxster S in to a 997.1 GT3, he's be lucky to keep up with a well driven Gogomobil for the first few laps.

But I'd take it to a finer line and say that I was faster in the 996 GT3 than the 997.1 GT3 until I parked the 996 and let it gather dust for a few weeks while I focused on driving just the 997. They're that different. So a driver wringing good times out of a Boxster will be all at sea in a 911 until they adapt, but that's not related to the impact of PDK car for car, class for class. And I'm quite surprised by the times being suggested for Boxsters at Thunderhill. Those times are more like a Boxster running the bypass, not taking the Cyclone. No offense, just, that's about the norm and Thunderhill rewards power cars more than handling when it comes to two heavy cars only one is at 300 hp and the other is at 400 hp.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
...To me, having had a 997.2 PDK car at the track and a 991S PDK car versus a RS 4.0, to see the astonishing advantage of the PDK out of the turns and up through the gears, it's analogous (though not to be taken literally) to what happened when turbo cars came along, then AWD cars....
Can you quantify and elaborate more on this...

Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
And I'm quite surprised by the times being suggested for Boxsters at Thunderhill. Those times are more like a Boxster running the bypass, not taking the Cyclone. No offense, just, that's about the norm and Thunderhill rewards power cars more than handling when it comes to two heavy cars only one is at 300 hp and the other is at 400 hp.
It's not a "suggestion", it's a fact. There is a video here somewhere, too lazy to find it....

Last edited by montoya; 04-27-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:02 PM
RyanPerrella
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
I'm thinking about ordering a 991 having sold my 997.2 GT3 recently. Are there any like minded souls left on here or is this forum doomed to threads about Cayman GT3s, M4s, interrogating Preuninger about manual gearboxes...

Has anyone here ordered one and if so, share your thinking and spec?
There's no orders yet because we don't have "commission numbers" or allocation dates yet for the car. Hopefully that changes in the next 1-2 months.

Ryan
Beverly Hills Porsche
Old 05-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Michael246
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I am trying to decide what color to go with. I was thinking a custom color - mexico blue or gulf blue. What do you guys think?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael246
Hey guys, I am trying to decide what color to go with. I was thinking a custom color - mexico blue or gulf blue. What do you guys think?
I don't think Gulf is an approved PTS color. Search (or PM) posts by "Z356" for clarity on the subject.

I would go with Turquoise if you're set on one of the baby blue colors, as it's rarer than Mexico or Riviera, and I slightly prefer it. It may also be unapproved.

I would prefer Maritime over all of those choices, however.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Michael246
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I don't think Gulf is an approved PTS color. Search (or PM) posts by "Z356" for clarity on the subject.

I would go with Turquoise if you're set on one of the baby blue colors, as it's rarer than Mexico or Riviera, and I slightly prefer it. It may also be unapproved.

I would prefer Maritime over all of those choices, however.
I spoke to porsche about getting a gulf heritage paint job/film on my 918 and they said they could not do it because it is not approved; however, they said they could do either the gulf orange or gulf blue alone, so we will see. I am trying to cover the whole color scheme so baby blue is next on the list.

Quick Reply: Back on Topic thread - Who's ordered