Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 991 RSR

Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markus_t19

BTW basis for homologation of the RSR was the C4S !!! Hence no GT3 in the name!
wow. are you having us on?
crazy if true.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Due to continued discussions on direction of the GTE class we postponed the development of the DI engine ...too big a Financial risk...says Hartmut Kristen (head of motorsport @ Porsche).
If this is accurate, we will either see a delay in the 991RS or it will have the same engine in the GT3 - which there don't seem to be any near term plans to race in the top level GT racing.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a Great looking and sounding car....

Old 04-28-2013, 04:34 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brake dust
If this is accurate, we will either see a delay in the 991RS or it will have the same engine in the GT3 - which there don't seem to be any near term plans to race in the top level GT racing.
Hi brakedust,

Well, its correct what he said..I have the sport issue also in front of me now..

The other sentence is the article is: "erst mitte 2014 soll der DI Motor für den RSR fertig sein"..

means:
a) if the DI engine will be used...it will probably only appear in 2015..(middle of 2014 it will be more or less ready...but testing etc)
b) I doubt now even more that the 991 GT3 engine will be in the RSR..why? Porsche had enough time..why do they need now another 1,5 years to adapt the 991 GT3 engine for racing?

Wouldnt be surprised if they show up in 2015 with a Flat 8 DI..and they are developping this engine for sure..

PS: thos who were saying the 991 GT3 engine will be in the RSR at the start of the 2014 season are to a large degree wrong...maybe not 99% sure yet..but the words were coming from Helmut Kristen directly...
Old 04-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Wouldnt be surprised if they show up in 2015 with a Flat 8 DI..and they are developping this engine for sure..

PS: thos who were saying the 991 GT3 engine will be in the RSR at the start of the 2014 season are to a large degree wrong...maybe not 99% sure yet..but the words were coming from Helmut Kristen directly...
A flat 8 in a 911 would be a dream come true. They've had the space in the chassis there since the 997 just begging for two more pots.

I doubt it's an engineering issue, I imagine it's a product management and corporate SNAFU. How do you sell a 918 Hybrid if there's a flat 8 911 turning 500-600 natural horses? And the 991 GT3 is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of reserves of power handling in the chassis.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:09 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
And the 991 GT3 is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of reserves of power handling in the chassis.
Gotta agree with you there
Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
A flat 8 in a 911 would be a dream come true. They've had the space in the chassis there since the 997 just begging for two more pots.

I doubt it's an engineering issue, I imagine it's a product management and corporate SNAFU. How do you sell a 918 Hybrid if there's a flat 8 911 turning 500-600 natural horses? And the 991 GT3 is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of reserves of power handling in the chassis.
The Flat 8 in the 911 will come - but probably just in racing. But it wont produce 600HP..it will have to comply with all the regulations on air intake etc. Withouth any limitation the current engine would be around 530-550HP...

But the new Flat 8 would be better in torque etc..and probably the new Flat 8 will have the same weight as the current 6..and then its a win win in every situation.

Another reason why I believe the 991 GT3 engine will not be in the race car...because it wont be enough to beat the competition..again..they are all running on 8..so why should the manufacturer with 6 win..on top having the disadvantage of the rear engine..
Old 04-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
I doubt now even more that the 991 GT3 engine will be in the RSR..why? Porsche had enough time..why do they need now another 1,5 years to adapt the 991 GT3 engine for racing?
Am I missing something? Kristen gives the answer to your question.....uncertainty around engine regulations for the GTE class and the financial risk associated with development of an engine that might prove to be the wrong piece. If he is to be believed, of course...which you apparently don't..... It wouldn't be the first time that Porsche decided to hold back on a motorsports committment because of shifting/uncertain regs.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Am I missing something? Kristen gives the answer to your question.....uncertainty around engine regulations for the GTE class and the financial risk associated with development of an engine that might prove to be the wrong piece. If he is to be believed, of course...which you apparently don't..... It wouldn't be the first time that Porsche decided to hold back on a motorsports committment because of shifting/uncertain regs.
of course I believe him..but I was rather talking about the "consequences" then the "reasons"..

Hey, but this time I was correct or ? ..But joke aside, with the changing regulations you hit the nail..for me this is the main reason why certain racing series have become so uninteresting...in fact the only one I really like for the moment is the GP2 series..all cars more or less same...meaning the driver makes the difference...and not the budget..
Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The Flat 8 in the 911 will come - but probably just in racing. But it wont produce 600HP..it will have to comply with all the regulations on air intake etc. Withouth any limitation the current engine would be around 530-550HP..
PC - been thinking the same thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 991 RSR