Sponsored by:

Cayman Gt3 RS anyone?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
BMW has the same language. I specifically asked a dealer about tracking an M3, and the response was that all non-modded parts were still covered. FWIW, I got my secondary air pump MAF sensor replaced by warranty when the car still had decals from a track day - the dealer did not ask if CEL came on during track driving.

Very surprised to see Porsche being that way with warranty - hope it's just a cover-your-*** type of thing and they do not reject coverage most of the time.
It very well may be a CYA issue. My dealer set up my car for the maximum front - camber I could get with a stock sport suspension setup, at my request, specifically for autoxing. They do corner balancing, ECU tuning, exhausts, etc. My harness bar and harness are obvious whenever I've taken my car in, yet I've never had a warranty issue questioned, including a recent water pump replacement. It's not directly related, but they even reset my service indicator gratis when I do my own oil changes.

FWIW, I have no complaints and feel confident they won't give me the runaround based on some warranty legalese. From what I've heard, my experience isn't uncommon.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

You probably mean passive rear steering? Practically all modern suspensions manage rear steering one way or another, even the ones with live axles. The rear steer angles are pre-calculated by engineers (on a computer!) and programmed into suspensions - the only difference is that a program can be executed by either imprecise and slow-reacting bushings and links or a more precise and direct electric motor. In either case it is just executing a program built in by engineering when the vehicle is designed. It's like slide ruler vs. calculator - ideally same inputs should result in same outputs, except the mechanical ruler has lower precision and limited useful range.

I mean rear wheel steering that does not feel weird and won't break on track.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:15 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
475HP, 2800 lbs, no rear steering, no PTV, no electric steering, sub 90k I could be interested to leave the Corvette parked.
^^^This! If they made that car, I'd walk away from my .2 in a heartbeat. I have dreamed of a car like that since the first time I drove a 911 and CS back to back.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:19 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean rear wheel steering that does not feel weird and won't break on track.
So your 991 GT3's RWS feels weird and breaks on track?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Prolly
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

475HP, 2800 lbs, no rear steering, no PTV, no electric steering, sub 90k I could be interested to leave the Corvette parked.
I was dreaming about a car like that too, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. Here is why - in the new Cayman there are no more weight-saving shortcuts left (e.g., just replace steel with aluminium in few places and be done with it), as they have taken every one they could already. So any significant reduction of weight would have to come with expensive stuff like carbon fiber and/or additional engineering, so the price would have to go up a lot.

Plus to accommodate 50% more power the car would need bigger brakes, much more cooling capacity, some tougher drive-train components - all means extra weight.

So if Porsche ever decides to put the real GT3 engine into the cayman platform, it will probably costs as much or more than GT3 (seems similar to 960). Or, more likely, it would have lower-powered engine (compared to GT3) and weight comparable to regular Cayman S.

Corvette does look interesting, especially given the price and seemingly more track-friendly attitude, but almost everyone I know who has current gen Z06 are saying never again for one reason or another. So I would wait with adopting this new model.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Id take it!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

Come on Peter! You know I want to build this car for you! Let's go to Suncoast and bring home the nice white base 981 I saw there on Friday and get it going! I can't wait for our next ride up through the esses in whatever else you purchase! I want to put 996 6-piston GT3 Cup calipers on the front, just like we did for our 987.2 Rolex car with the X51. Suncoast has some nice Alcantara bits in the form of a shift boot, wheel, etc.

I think we can keep it under $95K. Under $90K is a bit optimistic but I spent the weekend there and I truly feel we could build a car like this for you guys (okay, it won't have 475 but we can get 400/325 stock). And yeah, lighter is better and we can probably save a few more pounds here and there but with tuning, exhaust and a little BGB mojo, we can get closer to 450 at the crank. I don't have an aero solution for the car but big brakes up front, bigger master cylinder and some suede bits might keep you busy til your GT3 comes.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 590 Likes on 260 Posts

BMW has the same language. I specifically asked a dealer about tracking an M3, and the response was that all non-modded parts were still covered. FWIW, I got my secondary air pump MAF sensor replaced by warranty when the car still had decals from a track day - the dealer did not ask if CEL came on during track driving.

Very surprised to see Porsche being that way with warranty - hope it's just a cover-your-*** type of thing and they do not reject coverage most of the time.
It depends on the dealership and their idea of "customer orientation." Some dealerships welcome the modified cars into the service bay and will address just the item of concern. Other dealerships will look for any simple modification to get them out of the warranty work.

One such dealership, which shall remain nameless, wouldn't touch a customer's car because it had RSS control arms. It was a 997.2 Turbo and something funky was going on with the diff after a few track events and the customer chose to trailer the car 300 miles elsewhere to see if he could get a more open-minded dealership.

You can understand why some do and why some don't and at the end of the day, just keeping looking for a track-friendly service tech.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Come on Peter! You know I want to build this car for you! Let's go to Suncoast and bring home the nice white base 981 I saw there on Friday and get it going! I can't wait for our next ride up through the esses in whatever else you purchase! I want to put 996 6-piston GT3 Cup calipers on the front, just like we did for our 987.2 Rolex car with the X51. Suncoast has some nice Alcantara bits in the form of a shift boot, wheel, etc.

I think we can keep it under $95K. Under $90K is a bit optimistic but I spent the weekend there and I truly feel we could build a car like this for you guys (okay, it won't have 475 but we can get 400/325 stock). And yeah, lighter is better and we can probably save a few more pounds here and there but with tuning, exhaust and a little BGB mojo, we can get closer to 450 at the crank. I don't have an aero solution for the car but big brakes up front, bigger master cylinder and some suede bits might keep you busy til your GT3 comes.
+1....Peter this is you....new Cayman is gorgeous! and BGB will make it fast...this is cheap play stuff for you. You can still track the 4.0 but BGB will make a real track car for you out of the new Cayman S.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChrisF
^^^This! If they made that car, I'd walk away from my .2 in a heartbeat. I have dreamed of a car like that since the first time I drove a 911 and CS back to back.
I'm digging the new avatar!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I'd take that too... Although I'd doubt they'll ever be that generous in the power department...
Don't need 475hp if it can be built @ 2800lbs.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports

Theoretically because I don't even have time to drive the 4.0, but at least if we're buying from you its race tested.

Cayman is lighter and we can choose a manual right?
2800LBS should be doable and still have a car that is a daily driver.

The Cayman and 991 GT3 are all the same engine, just some different internals? So why no 475? Turbo's too? Maybe we need Cayman GT2RS version.

I don't care about the interior as long as I fit in it and its not menstrual red.
We'd need some aero right?

The rear brakes are already good? You mention front only. if you are going to change them, why not a big brake kit?

No good seats for sale in the Cayman either so after market is needed anyway.

I've since learned that if you modulate the throttle a bit in the S-es you can go faster and keep all 4 wheels on the pavement...
Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
So your 991 GT3's RWS feels weird and breaks on track?
Is there a reason why people think/assume RWS will break any more than FWS?

Originally Posted by Nizer
+1. I 'd happily prefer a 375 HP 2800lb, 6 speed, 90k car over a 475HP 3200lb, PDK, 130k car.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
2800lbs should be easily attainable for pure track car.
my street 6gt3 was 2650 lbs with full cage 1/8 tank

Quick Reply: Cayman Gt3 RS anyone?!