Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Gt3 RS anyone?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Possibly somebody who has recently attended & done laps w/the 991 GT3 (within the last couple weeks) at a Porsche driving experience held at the Nurburgring can comment.

It is my understanding that some potential/future owners have done so.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:05 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be awesome. Would love to hear from someone outside Porsche who has actually driven the new rig.

People love to argue about about laptimes, PDK, RWS etc etc but at the end of the day all that matters is the drive.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
475HP, 2800 lbs, no rear steering, no PTV, no electric steering, sub 90k I could be interested to leave the Corvette parked.
You probably mean passive rear steering? Practically all modern suspensions manage rear steering one way or another, even the ones with live axles. The rear steer angles are pre-calculated by engineers (on a computer!) and programmed into suspensions - the only difference is that a program can be executed by either imprecise and slow-reacting bushings and links or a more precise and direct electric motor. In either case it is just executing a program built in by engineering when the vehicle is designed. It's like slide ruler vs. calculator - ideally same inputs should result in same outputs, except the mechanical ruler has lower precision and limited useful range.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
You probably mean passive rear steering? Practically all modern suspensions manage rear steering one way or another, even the ones with live axles. The rear steer angles are pre-calculated by engineers (on a computer!) and programmed into suspensions - the only difference is that a program can be executed by either imprecise and slow-reacting bushings and links or a more precise and direct electric motor. In either case it is just executing a program built in by engineering when the vehicle is designed. It's like slide ruler vs. calculator - ideally same inputs should result in same outputs, except the mechanical ruler has lower precision and limited useful range.
Yes.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
But it has PDK!!!!
Yep...but for ME...I need PDK....selfish on my part but arent we all on here?

This would be such a cool game changer car. It has potential as shown by John at BGB and the Napleton group.

Well I can only wish and dream of this from Porsche.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
475HP, 2800 lbs, no rear steering, no PTV, no electric steering, sub 90k I could be interested to leave the Corvette parked.
The new Corvette will be one of THE few modern day streetable track cars to have.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:47 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
The Gt3 whatever year is a track car. Performance is what matters. The new GT3 trumps them all.
Sure, unless you value the involvement that comes only with rowing your own gears...and you value your warranty, which is voided by PCNA as soon as your "track" car is, umm, actually driven on a track.

So, if by "trumping" you mean shaving a few seconds off your time on a multi-mile course, by all means enjoy your new 991 GTR.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by triode
Sure, unless you value the involvement that comes only with rowing your own gears...and you value your warranty, which is voided by PCNA as soon as your "track" car is, umm, actually driven on a track.
Do warranty concerns keep you from tracking your 2010 GT3? Beautiful car, BTW.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Do warranty concerns keep you from tracking your 2010 GT3? Beautiful car, BTW.
Well it concerns me with my car. I've cut back on track days as well. Chevy states that they cover mechanical failures if the Vette or Z28 are tracked. That is extremely comforting
Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
Chevy states that they cover mechanical failures if the Vette or Z28 are tracked. That is extremely comforting
I tried to find more information about this. Is there something in writing somewhere that references Chevy's policy?

Edit: FWIW, I did find this in Chevy's 2014 warranty policy (pg. 10). Maybe it's been changed for the new C7 and Z28?

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty
does not cover damage caused as
the result of any of the following
:
. Misuse of the vehicle such as
driving over curbs, overloading,
racing, or other competition.
Proper vehicle use is discussed
in the owner manual.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-13-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

"Racing or competition" wouldn't fall in the same basket as DE and non competitive track days Mike... That statement would leave a car open to warranty claims unless it was being raced competitively... No racing car manufacturer warranties racing cars for failure...
Old 04-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911rox
"Racing or competition" wouldn't fall in the same basket as DE and non competitive track days Mike... That statement would leave a car open to warranty claims unless it was being raced competitively... No racing car manufacturer warranties racing cars for failure...
Possible, Chris. As you read, I drew no conclusions other than to post the information; people may take from it what they will. I guess it would depend how all parties involved choose to parse that warranty language.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I tried to find more information about this. Is there something in writing somewhere that references Chevy's policy?

Edit: FWIW, I did find this in Chevy's 2014 warranty policy (pg. 10). Maybe it's been changed for the new C7 and Z28?

:
in the owner manual.
Yes it is in writing and on video that Chevy will cover the car for track events...of course not racing but club DE's.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yes it is in writing and on video that Chevy will cover the car for track events...of course not racing but club DE's.
That's cool!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 561 Posts

:
in the owner manual.
BMW has the same language. I specifically asked a dealer about tracking an M3, and the response was that all non-modded parts were still covered. FWIW, I got my secondary air pump MAF sensor replaced by warranty when the car still had decals from a track day - the dealer did not ask if CEL came on during track driving.

Very surprised to see Porsche being that way with warranty - hope it's just a cover-your-*** type of thing and they do not reject coverage most of the time.

Quick Reply: Cayman Gt3 RS anyone?!