Sponsored by:

My GT3 Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GT3 Build

This is how I've ordered my car for delivery in Toronto in January. Let me know if you see anything I've missed or don't need.

911 GT3

Exterior Colour White - Thought about black and agate but just too boring. Red too flashy...

Interior - Even though I like the fabric and other posters note it has good durability and cleans well, I didn't get the added Alcantara because the standard trim already has quite a bit of it. The red stitching is nice but too expensive for what it is ($3700 with the Alcantara)

Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) - Just for looks in my mind (is this actually useful?), was thinking the PDLS black option but that might be a bit too much on a white car so this is a compromise

Lifting system front axle - This is my first one and I've seen a lot of complaints about these cars, don't want something I can't drive around town

Seat belts in Guards Red

Seat heating (front) - I drive my sportscars with the windows open even during most of the winter (in Canada) for the added noise...

Sport Seats Plus
Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
Mobile phone preparation
Sound Package Plus

Sport Chrono Package - seems like an incredible bargain at $460 for all of the following

Dynamic Engine Mounts
Analog and digital stopwatch
Performance display in Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
SPORT PLUS button
Launch Control (PDK)
Additional steering wheel display (PDK)
for SPORT and SPORT PLUS mode as well as Launch control activation

Total Price* $157,205

Thoughts anyone?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan39
This is how I've ordered my car for delivery in Toronto in January. Let me know if you see anything I've missed or don't need.

911 GT3

Exterior Colour White - Thought about black and agate but just too boring. Red too flashy...

Interior - Even though I like the fabric and other posters note it has good durability and cleans well, I didn't get the added Alcantara because the standard trim already has quite a bit of it. The red stitching is nice but too expensive for what it is ($3700 with the Alcantara)

Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) - Just for looks in my mind (is this actually useful?), was thinking the PDLS black option but that might be a bit too much on a white car so this is a compromise

Lifting system front axle - This is my first one and I've seen a lot of complaints about these cars, don't want something I can't drive around town

Seat belts in Guards Red

Seat heating (front) - I drive my sportscars with the windows open even during most of the winter (in Canada) for the added noise...

Sport Seats Plus
Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
Mobile phone preparation
Sound Package Plus

Sport Chrono Package - seems like an incredible bargain at $460 for all of the following

Dynamic Engine Mounts
Analog and digital stopwatch
Performance display in Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
SPORT PLUS button
Launch Control (PDK)
Additional steering wheel display (PDK)
for SPORT and SPORT PLUS mode as well as Launch control activation

Total Price* $157,205

Thoughts anyone?
Nice build, I believe the Sport Chrono Package does not add anything except for the wart and timing "features" in the PCM, so not really needed
The description they have on the web-site is bogus, and stems from the non-GT3 991, seems Porsche is not very fast as far as updating descriptions etc on their web-site.

Mike
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Very nice. Color is totally subjective; white wouldn't be my first choice but it's the most popular color for the car based on an earlier poll. (I like agate; decided against red for the same reason you did.)

Also like you, I'd skip the red stitching.

I have PDLS on my Cayenne because it came in a package with other stuff. It swivels the headlights slightly in the direction you're turning. It works but, personally, I wouldn't spend extra for it. Edit: It also adjusts headlight reach depending on how fast you're driving. Still wouldn't pay extra for it , but you might feel otherwise.

Front axle lift is pricey but may be worth it depending on your driving environment. I'd need it for my own steep driveway.

mike2727 is right. All of the Sport Chrono features except the timing wart and PCM timing functions are already standard on the car. Unless you want them, you can skip SC.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-02-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 PM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Congrats. May I ask you which dealer you put your order through?.....Downtown or Pfaff?

Is January one of the earliest allocations from your dealer?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:45 PM
PorscheAntoine
Intermediate

The build looks great! This will be a fantastic car
Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would add automatically dimming mirrors. It makes driving at night in traffic much more comfortable.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

I think I would go with yellow gauges with a white car. Just a thought.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Are Canadian dealers getting allocations already? Does not seem to be the case in the USA.

Regarding config:

+1 on dimming mirrors if you do highway driving - the car is low, and all the SUVs and trucks can be blinding even with low beams. I really appreciated it on long roadtrips and especially driving back from track events for 3-6 hours same night after a track event.

I am getting a similar build, but without sport chrono (it's just a clock in GT3 - the rest comes standard) and in red color. I'm ok with flashy. I'm daily driving a black 4-door M3 with half an inch of dirt on it, and somehow people still stare quite often, so the color is not a big factor in my case. I guess I need to find street tires that do not make that screeching noise ALL THE TIME

As for full leather - I am debating it because without it, the upper parts of the doors seem to be plastic (or is it artificial leather?) Red stitching is not cool enough to justify the price, so I would not recommend it unless you do not care about the cost.

Irrelevant to options, but winter driving may be an issue with this one because of all the low air vents in the front bumper. I've seen them act as snow shovels on one of my lowered cars, and it's not really inconsequential to the radiators - even slush or soft snow can bend thin aluminium vanes when it's sucked in at speed.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't think dimming mirrors are crucial... My biggest problem with driving at night is that I can't tell if cars are following... Their headlights are generally hidden by the rear wing...

As others have pointed out, sport chrono has never unlocked additional features in GT3s, its just a lap timer. If you like it on the dash, just go for it
Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by mike2727
Nice build, I believe the Sport Chrono Package does not add anything except for the wart and timing "features" in the PCM, so not really needed
The description they have on the web-site is bogus, and stems from the non-GT3 991, seems Porsche is not very fast as far as updating descriptions etc on their web-site.

Mike
Okay thanks, I thought it strange that Porsche wasn't charging at least a few thousand dollars for those features when something as simple as red stitching instead of silver costs $1700!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Are Canadian dealers getting allocations already? Does not seem to be the case in the USA.

Regarding config:

+1 on dimming mirrors if you do highway driving - the car is low, and all the SUVs and trucks can be blinding even with low beams. I really appreciated it on long roadtrips and especially driving back from track events for 3-6 hours same night after a track event.

I am getting a similar build, but without sport chrono (it's just a clock in GT3 - the rest comes standard) and in red color. I'm ok with flashy. I'm daily driving a black 4-door M3 with half an inch of dirt on it, and somehow people still stare quite often, so the color is not a big factor in my case. I guess I need to find street tires that do not make that screeching noise ALL THE TIME

As for full leather - I am debating it because without it, the upper parts of the doors seem to be plastic (or is it artificial leather?) Red stitching is not cool enough to justify the price, so I would not recommend it unless you do not care about the cost.

Irrelevant to options, but winter driving may be an issue with this one because of all the low air vents in the front bumper. I've seen them act as snow shovels on one of my lowered cars, and it's not really inconsequential to the radiators - even slush or soft snow can bend thin aluminium vanes when it's sucked in at speed.
Can you elaborate on the street tires comment? I assume you run the stock MPSC tires? They screech? I checked on tire rack and the only other options in 305/30/20 were Bridgestones and Pirellis but I assume other manufacturers will have tires out next year.

On winter driving - I think you have to park the car when there is snow on the ground. I had enough trouble in my Cayman S and that's an inch higher with much thinner wheels. And I wonder if you can even get winter rubber in that size?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

My thoughts are similar to your build.. Was thinking agate but saw it in person a little to khaki for me. May opt for rhodium silver now.

Since I will be leasing it makes sense to get options that may reduce paymts by raising the residual. Not sure which ones yet but guessing nav, full leather etc will make sense dollar wise.

Would love yellow stitching but not offered yet and stupid money for the red pkg anyway. probably just go w yellow belts and must have PCCBs.

Mines not for the track specifically but may do a day here or there to start to understand this platform better at the limit for the eventual purchase of used 991 RS...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I have heard, there will be 20 - 30 GT3s for Canada, so the dealers may have a pretty good idea of how many they are each getting.
I 've also heard that actual build orders won't start until June/July but dealers are taking down payments..

Old 04-03-2013, 02:02 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
Can you elaborate on the street tires comment? I assume you run the stock MPSC tires? They screech? I checked on tire rack and the only other options in 305/30/20 were Bridgestones and Pirellis but I assume other manufacturers will have tires out next year.

On winter driving - I think you have to park the car when there is snow on the ground. I had enough trouble in my Cayman S and that's an inch higher with much thinner wheels. And I wonder if you can even get winter rubber in that size?
Sorry for confusion, I was actually trying to make a joke . The tires screech only because I drift turns whenever conditions permit. In an M3 on skinny winter tires it can be done at will without breaking speed limit. I do not have my GT3 yet.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JCL59
Was thinking agate but saw it in person a little to khaki for me. May opt for rhodium silver now.
I need to see agate in person for myself, but could you elaborate on what you mean by too khaki; too much tan?

Quick Reply: My GT3 Build