Sponsored by:

My GT3 Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:49 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan39
...I drive my sportscars with the windows open even during most of the winter (in Canada) for the added noise...
I do too, but I live in North Carolina. I like your style!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCL59
My thoughts are similar to your build.. Was thinking agate but saw it in person a little to khaki for me. May opt for rhodium silver now.

Since I will be leasing it makes sense to get options that may reduce paymts by raising the residual. Not sure which ones yet but guessing nav, full leather etc will make sense dollar wise.

Would love yellow stitching but not offered yet and stupid money for the red pkg anyway. probably just go w yellow belts and must have PCCBs.

Mines not for the track specifically but may do a day here or there to start to understand this platform better at the limit for the eventual purchase of used 991 RS...
Full leather? The two options are the standard leatherette/alcantara and the added alcantara option which I think is $3700 or so - I went with the former. There are options to add more leather but I didn't even look at those - I don't know that more leather would add to the residual.

The PCCBs are a $10,000 option and from what I've read the steel brakes do not fade anyway. The principal disadvantages are the added weight (are you really good enough to notice?) and the brake dust. The advantages of the steel brakes are the upfront savings and the replacement cost is much lower.

If you just want the yellow color you can get you dealer to paint the calipers, probably for free with your purchase.

My experience with the Cayman S I had is that you end up immediately boiling the brake fluid (first time at the track) and having to replace this with blue fluid then wearing out the pads and wearing thin the rotors after a season of heavy tracking (8 to 10 days or so).

Can anyone add to this?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Full leather? The two options are the standard leatherette/alcantara and the added alcantara option which I think is $3700 or so - I went with the former. There are options to add more leather but I didn't even look at those - I don't know that more leather would add to the residual.

Can anyone add to this?
The two basic interior option choices that I see for both the US and Canada are 1) alcantera/leather, and the more expensive 2) alcantera/leather and leather interior, commonly called "full leather". The "and leather" interior adds alcantera to the door panels and bottom half of the dash as well as smooth stitched leather to the top of the door panels and top of the dash, replacing plastic/vinyl/whatever in all those areas. It also adds trim strips to the doors that match the trim on the dash.

Beyond that you can add lots of additional leather and alcantera as you point out. I think the "and leather" option is worth the additional money, looks good, and might add value at trade in although if you are leasing I'm not familar with that end of it. I've always heard that the additional leather bits probably don't add much to the car in the way of value. It all just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 PM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The PCCBs are a $10,000 option and from what I've read the steel brakes do not fade anyway. The principal disadvantages are the added weight (are you really good enough to notice?) and the brake dust. The advantages of the steel brakes are the upfront savings and the replacement cost is much lower.

If you just want the yellow color you can get you dealer to paint the calipers, probably for free with your purchase.

My experience with the Cayman S I had is that you end up immediately boiling the brake fluid (first time at the track) and having to replace this with blue fluid then wearing out the pads and wearing thin the rotors after a season of heavy tracking (8 to 10 days or so).

Can anyone add to this?
Dan the man, Just generalizing here on the basic lease principles of ordering options that may be advantageous to bump residual values etc... Don't get ur shorts in a bunch

As far as PCCBs already have a well prepped track car with PFC rotors (see sig) actually like them better for street... sounds like ur laboring over options but I'm just not ther yet nor is it that big a deal to me quite honestly. Best o luck in nailing that build
Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 AM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Congrats. May I ask you which dealer you put your order through?.....Downtown or Pfaff?

Is January one of the earliest allocations from your dealer?
I know Downtown has earlier allocations, but odds are they're already reserved (I was originally offered November, but am going to do ED in the spring of 2014). Their queue is over 15 cars long now.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Are Canadian dealers getting allocations already? Does not seem to be the case in the USA.
No allocations yet. They are looking at late-June/early-July.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Irrelevant to options, but winter driving may be an issue with this one because of all the low air vents in the front bumper. I've seen them act as snow shovels on one of my lowered cars, and it's not really inconsequential to the radiators - even slush or soft snow can bend thin aluminium vanes when it's sucked in at speed.
You are one insane man if you're going to try and drive the GT3 in the winter! At least in the Canadian winter that is....

Originally Posted by Conekilr
From what I have heard, there will be 20 - 30 GT3s for Canada, so the dealers may have a pretty good idea of how many they are each getting.
I 've also heard that actual build orders won't start until June/July but dealers are taking down payments..
From what I have heard, the allocation for GT3 in Canada is going to be much more than 30. Just between DFC and Pfaff, there is a waiting list of over 30 cars.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle

You are one insane man if you're going to try and drive the GT3 in the winter! At least in the Canadian winter that is....

From what I have heard, the allocation for GT3 in Canada is going to be much more than 30. Just between DFC and Pfaff, there is a waiting list of over 30 cars.
It was the OP who suggested winter driving in Canada, not me. I'm into such weird things too, but I just will not have this option anymore with the car being in California. Regarding Canadian allocations - they normally are about 10%-13% of North American allocations and those are rumored at 800 (not sure annually or total, but likely annual), so I'd expect at least 80-100 GT3s in Canada. With so much talk by Porsche about "increased bandwidth" for GT3 they will make a lot... Not that there is anything wrong with that - demand is increased too.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:20 AM
RedlineRallys
Rennlist Member

Looks perfectly optioned to me.

Can't wait to see it in Toronto. Make sure you signup to the cruises @ www.RedlineRallys.com/signup

Congrats
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

On winter driving - just saw this in a brochure:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s7/sh...552ce470e0db23

I wonder if there is anyone who will ever do that on a GT3
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

do euro delivery @ zuffenhausen!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
do euro delivery @ zuffenhausen!!!
I was thinking about that but it will be in the middle of the winter and getting the car delivered with MPSC rubber... I'd have to delay my delivery to the spring and then that means getting 1000km on it before hitting the track in the summer is going to be a major challenge.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking about that but it will be in the middle of the winter and getting the car delivered with MPSC rubber... I'd have to delay my delivery to the spring and then that means getting 1000km on it before hitting the track in the summer is going to be a major challenge.
Have it delivered to a dealer 1000KM away. My 997.1 RS works great as a tourer; I'm sure this will only be better.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

you can easily put 1000km on a car in Europe in a week or so... get it delivered later ... DO IT!

you are mad not too! ... take it to some of the german tracks like the ring.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I assume if you took delivery in Zuffenhausen you'd tour Europe for a week or two. I've done that a couple of times with Porsche; it doesn't take long to pile up the miles while traveling and it's actually a pretty good way to break in the car. I wouldn't want to take delivery in winter either, but a spring delivery would get your car delivered back home all broken in and ready for track season. Of course the downside is that it means more waiting, both for the initial delivery and for the car to be delivered back home. But it's a great experience. Just a thought....

Edit: Just saw Larry posted while I was writing this. +1
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I assume if you took delivery in Zuffenhausen you'd tour Europe for a week or two. I've done that a couple of times with Porsche; it doesn't take long to pile up the miles while traveling and it's actually a pretty good way to break in the car. I wouldn't want to take delivery in winter either, but a spring delivery would get your car delivered back home all broken in and ready for track season. Of course the downside is that it means more waiting, both for the initial delivery and for the car to be delivered back home. But it's a great experience. Just a thought....

Edit: Just saw Larry posted while I was writing this. +1
+1
Old 04-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Dan39
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you can easily put 1000km on a car in Europe in a week or so... get it delivered later ... DO IT!

you are mad not too! ... take it to some of the german tracks like the ring.
Ahhh now you've got me thinking... I thought I had it all figured out!

Quick Reply: My GT3 Build