Sponsored by:

GT3-NY Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
While (no doubt) McCarthy was a douche, you do know he was right, though?
If not, look up "Venona" when you get a chance - it was highly under-reported on after it was revealed.
I'm well versed on the McCarthy era. The few truths in what McCarthy did were overwhelmed by his use of character assassination, innuendo, confusing dissent with Communist conspriacy, and just plain bad facts. But this is
Old 03-31-2013, 05:05 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm well versed on the McCarthy era. The few truths in what McCarthy did were overwhelmed by his use of character assassination, innuendo, confusing dissent with Communist conspriacy, and just plain bad facts. But this is
I didn't bring McCarthy up, or use his name in context with another RL'er.

I'm just looking to clear up History.

Yes, McCarthy used character assassination and innuendo, but as Venona proved, there was a real Communist conspiracy - funded and supported by the Soviets - and the facts back him up.
McCarthy was a douche because he made the accusations he did without knowledge of Venona or what it had uncovered, not because his accusations were wrong.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Company cars? Sorry, couldn't resist.

But I have to agree with savy.. I've wondered the same thing.
Nope. Not that I see how that matters? I got friends here with GT3 company cars which are tracked regularly. Sometimes even driven to work

Sorry, but that is really funny (read sad) about the wondering. I have been a member since 2004 (with a different nickname) and not particularly active. Did not manage to retrieve my old password and hence set up a new nickname. Mystery solved. No guerrilla marketing stunt, I promise.

I was a lot more active at RT (since 2004 too), but got tired of RCs speeches about what is right or wrong and hence left. I am glad you welcomed me with open arms and no pre-judgement
Old 03-31-2013, 05:22 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
SM, you did not answer the track experience question. None of your previous cars were particularly track worthy, so I can get it that the 991GT3 is great for you and the masses. Savy's explanation would make sense too and sorry but it crossed my mind. If you never track, its less logical.
Sorry, missed that. Well, 200+ laps on the Nordschleife, most of them including the Grand Prix track. Every years 5-6 times at Spa, Hockenheim, Dijon, etc. Considering doing the German motorsport licence next year. For fun only.

Not track worthy? I would say less track focused, but still worthy. I was being lectured in a different thread how fantastic the Turbo is on a track and that it is faster than a GT3 RS. My Turbo had Cargraphic stage II tune, Bilstein PSS10 (track springs), H&R bars and setup by a race shop. Track worthy? Yes. As to the Boxster, same story. Suspension, transmission and engine rebuild by a race shop. It was a pleasure leaving less experienced GT3 drivers behind and see their white faces in the pit afterwards.

I guess you where not born in an RS but started out with something less aggressive and progressively worked your way up. That is what I am doing and I don't think the next car will be a 991 GT3 but rather a 997 GT3 RS.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I didn't bring McCarthy up, or use his name in context with another RL'er.

I'm just looking to clear up History.

Yes, McCarthy used character assassination and innuendo, but as Venona proved, there was a real Communist conspiracy - funded and supported by the Soviets - and the facts back him up.
McCarthy was a douche because he made the accusations he did without knowledge of Venona or what it had uncovered, not because his accusations were wrong.
I wasn't blaming anyone; simply suggesting this wasn't the place for further discussion on the topic. The fact that conspiracies may be real is no excuse for impugning people's character with flimsy or no evidence, or insinuating that everyone who disagrees with your POV is suspect. In that context, my use of the McCarthy reference in the first place was relevant.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:31 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Nope. Not that I see how that matters? I got friends here with GT3 company cars which are tracked regularly. Sometimes even driven to work

Sorry, but that is really funny (read sad) about the wondering. I have been a member since 2004 (with a different nickname) and not particularly active. Did not manage to retrieve my old password and hence set up a new nickname. Mystery solved. No guerrilla marketing stunt, I promise.

I was a lot more active at RT (since 2004 too), but got tired of RCs speeches about what is right or wrong and hence left. I am glad you welcomed me with open arms and no pre-judgement
Actually, it would be "post" judgement - pun intended.

After reading posts from people I am not familiar with (I only frequent the GT3, 987, Cayman forums), I usually look at the poster's profile and where they post... I wonder about their perspective, thinking in your case, "maybe he loves his 991 and is active in that forum, where I would never see his posts". A quick search showed that virtually all your posts were in the 991 'GT3' forum, and all in the last few weeks. That's when I noticed the Jan 2013 join date.

I didn't say you were a viral marketer, but I'd be an idiot if the thought didn't cross my mind when 991 'GT3' fan, 'StirlingMoss', shows up out of nowhere (as first information on the car is released) to defend that car (and Porsche) from owners of GT3s.

Those are the 'facts' that you can find on the forum... the conclusion may be wrong (as may be the reality), but that is how the wondering occurs.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:31 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Geez - I leave the house this fine Easter morning to ski with my son after checking/posting on Rennlist, and I come back to this!

So what I have learned is that Sterling has plenty of Porsce pedigree, but just not of the GT3 variety. Many on this board have THOUSANDS of hours of track time in GT3s (both Cup & street) , and are in a position to truly back-up their opinions with experience. For the most part, Rennlist is not some fly-by, twentysomething, poseur exotic car website full of posters who always go FLAT OUT at their DE (probably on XBox or Playstation).... And for this reason, I have been frequenting this website for almost 2 decades. Great bunch of guys.

I'm extendingt the white flag to Sterling though so that we can get back to our regular scheduled programming. But I do urge the general populace to stop posting in hyperbole. Show a little deference to your fellow Porschephile, and deference will be returned.

-B
Old 03-31-2013, 05:40 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Actually, it would be "post" judgement - pun intended.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:45 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks Blake. Well said!

Now on topic, we will start a House Committee on Un-GT3 Activities until we find all those hidden marketing fellows.
A Rennlist Blacklist !

I'll throw the first name. Carrera GT is surely a member of the Marketing Party. We need 9 more cited for the The Rennlist Ten.

PM if you must.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by blake
Geez - I leave the house this fine Easter morning to ski with my son after checking/posting on Rennlist, and I come back to this!

So what I have learned is that Sterling has plenty of Porsce pedigree, but just not of the GT3 variety. Many on this board have THOUSANDS of hours of track time in GT3s (both Cup & street) , and are in a position to truly back-up their opinions with experience.
True quality isn't it

Yes, we all have tons of collective experience from all kind of cars, but... no one has experience of the 991 GT3 yet. Opinions, speculation and incomplete facts are what keeps an Internet forum alive. It would be pretty dead and boring here without. However, dismissing the GT3 before all the facts are on the table and it has been driven makes little sense to me.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Sorry, missed that. Well, 200+ laps on the Nordschleife, most of them including the Grand Prix track. Every years 5-6 times at Spa, Hockenheim, Dijon, etc. Considering doing the German motorsport licence next year. For fun only.

Not track worthy? I would say less track focused, but still worthy. I was being lectured in a different thread how fantastic the Turbo is on a track and that it is faster than a GT3 RS. My Turbo had Cargraphic stage II tune, Bilstein PSS10 (track springs), H&R bars and setup by a race shop. Track worthy? Yes. As to the Boxster, same story. Suspension, transmission and engine rebuild by a race shop. It was a pleasure leaving less experienced GT3 drivers behind and see their white faces in the pit afterwards.

I guess you where not born in an RS but started out with something less aggressive and progressively worked your way up. That is what I am doing and I don't think the next car will be a 991 GT3 but rather a 997 GT3 RS.
Thanks SM!
I don't want to step on toe's just respectfully argue points and thanks for that answer. Even though we agree to disagree I'm respect your opinion more knowing you track. Just puts an important perspective to your posts. Not track worthy was to strong, you frased it better and even more track focused with aftermarket stuff. Your cars may already be a bit softer and if the GT3 really is and you like the price and PDK an it does not break on track still one of the very view with some aftermarket seats and eventually oem sport seats.

You believe it, I first want to see it proven and as an early adopter that will track it, makes you review posts count even more.

We will find out. I still think it does not deserve the gT3 name yet. It would make for an awesome GTS.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Thanks SM!
I don't want to step on toe's just respectfully argue points and thanks for that answer. Even though we agree to disagree I'm respect your opinion more knowing you track. Just puts an important perspective to your posts. Not track worthy was to strong, you frased it better and even more track focused with aftermarket stuff.
Much appreciated
Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I'm sure you are right, you always seem to know the facts. I say good call on the preemptive strike against Mooty, he may consult her and end up with a $600K GT3.
MJones has been with us for a long time. I've met him, he's a no-nonsense guy with a long Porsche history. If he has "word" on something I'd trust him over PCNA anyday and twice on Sunday (today).

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Another graduate of the Joseph McCarthy school of character assassination?
Mike I'm surprised you would engage in this kind of personal attack, it hasn't been your character to do so up to this post? Intelligent people can disagree and when things don't seem quite right, and they don't, curious people will ask questions. As they should. In my five year history of posting on RL I've never questioned anyone publicly before.

Respect is earned not given, in my case informed opinions carry a lot more weight then those offhandly thrown out by those who do not have first-hand experiences.

If my questioning thoughts provoke personal attack and defensive, derisive responses, then other readers can more objectively form an opinion about someones qualifications when they post.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default List!

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Now on topic, we will start a House Committee on Un-GT3 Activities until we find all those hidden marketing fellows. A Rennlist Blacklist!
A Rennlist Blacklist??? Have you no sense of decency, sir..or at least a better feel for 'fashionable' colors? Compiling a register of fellow travelers & agents provocateurs is perfectly fine here at Rennlist. I applaud the effort. But to name that list 'black' is so....1950's! How about a 'Chartreuselist' or 'RivieraBlueList'? If so, sign me up. You do take 'metrosexuals', right?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-31-2013, 06:33 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Of course we do take 'm Sir. I'm just calling a spade a spade.
Oh, wait a minute... : D

Love you guys, you make my time spent here worthwhile.

Porsche's great marketing machine has no chance in this forum. It never had.
OTOH, their engineers and R&D dpt will get a fair shot. That we can pretty much guarantee.
Bring the bloody car out already!

Quick Reply: GT3-NY Auto Show