Originally Posted by mike2727
The big questions is when ?
That, I don't know.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Great news. If that is the reason, which makes sense, the usual suspects can stop whining about their conspiracy theories about PCNA, US dealers and keeping GT3 drivers off the track.
You call it whining, I call it calling Porsche out to do something they should have done when they launched the 991 C2

They f'd up no excuse possible

Mike
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

You call it whining, I call it calling Porsche out to do something they should have done when they launched the 991 C2

Mike
We're apparently talking about government regulations here, and we all know how smoothly they work. There are still negotiations going on, for example, between NHTSA and Congress to decide whether rear cameras will be mandated for all cars for 2014 and the decision has already been delayed a couple of times for more "study". Who knows what the changes for seat testing were and when they were finalized. Seems like we'd need to know that before we can place blame. But there I go being all logical again when being emotional and ranting on speculation is so much more fun.....
Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There are still negotiations going on, for example, between NHTSA and Congress to decide whether rear cameras will be mandated for all cars for 2014 and the decision has already been delayed a couple of times for more "study".
Drives me nuts. That all came about because a mom accidentally backed over her own kid and killed her. Tragedy for sure, but in typical fashion, it's never the fault of the operator. It's always someone else's fault. What happens when everyone has rear cameras and then some kid still gets run over because the driver wasn't looking at the view screen? It's a never ending cycle. Cars will end up like homer simpson vehicles before long...

Old 03-29-2013, 08:04 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Drives me nuts. That all came about because a mom accidentally backed over her own kid and killed her. Tragedy for sure, but in typical fashion, it's never the fault of the operator. It's always someone else's fault. What happens when everyone has rear cameras and then some kid still gets run over because the driver wasn't looking at the view screen? It's a never ending cycle. Cars will end up like homer simpson vehicles before long...
Whaatttt?!!? Is this right?? Pardon my french, but are you f'ing kidding me???

Yes, surely a tragedy, but it sounds to me like the mom helped evolution along by eliminating her genes from the general pool!!

Seriously? Sue because your child is dead from cars not having back-up cameras?? So it needs to be mandated in ALL cars for EVERYONE??

This is why I hate our society. And stupid people.

(rant off) Sorry, back to our regularly scheduled programming... (that really hit a nerve)
Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Guessing US Allocation based on NY Porsche CEO Detlev von Platen Interview

Trying to guess difficulty of getting a US 991 GT3. Porsche Pres says there wil be 'Very High Level of Cars' Help!!

At 1:18 seconds:
Q: How many do you expect to import into the US ?
'A: 10% of 911.. so very high level of cars.

My calc -> ~800. Hmm. Trying to ge my first gt3 finally after 8 yrs of saving. Does this mean it will be relatively possible to get one
E.G.looks like in 2009 for the first year of MKII 3.8 they sent 360 to US. How hard was it to get one that year

Guessing 800 as a rough start.. ???
based on Press Release from Porsche : ~8,000 911's in 2012
http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=751

Wow.. that seems like a lot relative to the 360 mk II 3.8 that came out in the first year (360)
http://www.gt3rsregistry.com/docs/HowMany.htm
Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Whaatttt?!!? Is this right??
I wish I was kidding. The story is actually more tragic when you learn that the child that died had just survived a serious disease and narrowly escaped death in the hospital only to die at the hands of mom.

Don't get me started on responsibility and accountability. I can't tell you how many serious injuries I've seen from people mistaking the throttle for the brake pedal. This was YEARS before whole toyota debacle... (and they weren't driving toyotas)

Last edited by orthojoe; 03-29-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:27 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Anybody that goes to the show:

1) Tell them you love the bucket seats being displayed in the car and see how they react
2) If they fess up that the buckets are not being brought to the USA, act really disgusted. If they don't fess up, confront them.

I want to make them squirm.
Totally should do that!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Mike
I call it whining because some members automatically assumed it was within the control from Porsche. This assumption was based on speculation and fuelled itself into highly creative conspiracy theories about the car not being "bullet proof", not being suited for track driving, not being suited to US drivers, not wanted by US dealers, back stabbed by PCNA, etc, etc, etc.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I call it whining because some members automatically assumed it was within the control from Porsche. This assumption was based on speculation and fuelled itself into highly creative conspiracy theories about the car not being "bullet proof", not being suited for track driving, not being suited to US drivers, not wanted by US dealers, back stabbed by PCNA, etc, etc, etc.
If you don't whine or make a stink, people will ignore you and assume everything is ok. Who am I kidding, Porsche will ignore you anyway....

Seriously, though, Porsche could NOT have been surprised about new regulations. They had adequate time to prepare. They just decided it wasn't worth the time/effort. Probably because dealers told them it wasn't worth the time/effort. By in large, they were probably right because nobody rose a stink when the boxster, boxster S, Carrera, C2S, C4, C4S, cayman, and Cayman S were released without buckets in the US when they were available everywhere else. It wasn't until the GT3 was released that the villagers started to become restless and now we finally have some progress.... hopefully
Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Seriously, though, Porsche could NOT have been surprised about new regulations. They had adequate time to prepare. They just decided it wasn't worth the time/effort. Probably because dealers told them it wasn't worth the time/effort. By in large, they were probably right because nobody rose a stink when the C, C2S, C4, C4S were released without buckets in the US when they were available everywhere else.
Yes, but this is again speculation. You could also speculate that Porsche was caught out by changing US regulations and ended up with the choice of either (a.) postponing the worldwide presentation of the 991 GT3 until sorted or (b.) initially don't offer bucket seats in the US.

Until we have the facts, we don't know
Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by gskudlarick
Trying to guess difficulty of getting a US 991 GT3. Porsche Pres says there wil be 'Very High Level of Cars' Help!!
My dealer received information from PCNA that 500 cars would be imported. I'm not sure if that is 500 2014 cars or 500 total. They will be allocated by sales volume. For example, if your dealer is responsible for 1% of Porsche sales in America, they will get 1% of the 500 cars, or 5 991 GT3's. So, find a high-volume dealer for the best chance.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Operation Market Garden

Great news. If that is the reason, which makes sense, the usual suspects can stop whining about their conspiracy theories about PCNA, US dealers and keeping GT3 drivers off the track.
Stirling, just a word of caution. We know the picturesque chalet where you live. We know the type of Müesli you eat in the morning and the Emmentaler you nibble at lunch. We know the exact Lindt & Sprüngli factory where you work at. Don't mess with 'the usual suspects' 'cause we have ways to deal with critics via our connection with the Albanian Mafia you guys all fear in CH (Confœderatio Helvetica)!

Braking News!

Detlev von Platen at the NY Auto Show:

'Some of our customers taking this car to the race(s)...emotion factor (high) with PDK...absolutely (purists will be won over!)...this is a car you drive on racetrack, you can drive tomorrow to Daytona, having fun 24 hours, and then coming home on the street, that is what we are famous for...closest bridge between a street car in our portfolio and a race car!'

So that is it, folks. You heard it here first. For Detlev's sake, I hope that 'bridge' is not the one at Arhem!

http://live.wsj.com/video/porsche-ce...E-33D223FE4D7E

By the way, he expects in MY2014 that approx. 10% of all 991's sold in the US will be 991 gt3's!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Originally Posted by Z356
Stirling, just a word of caution. We know the picturesque chalet where you live. We know the type of Müesli you eat in the morning and the Emmentaler you nibble at lunch. We know the exact Lindt & Sprüngli factory where you work at. Don't mess with 'the usual suspects' 'cause we have ways to deal with critics via our connection with the Albanian Mafia you guys all fear in CH (Confœderatio Helvetica)!
Glad you are on top of things
Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree regarding personal responsibility and legislating to the lowest common denominator. To be fair, though, this isn't about 1 kid; something like 2500 children injured and 100 fatalities a year nationwide in backing accidents. The question, as you suggest, is how much good backup cameras would do if people don't choose to pay attention anyway. Some accidents would probably be avoided but is it enough to legislate for?

Quick Reply: GT3-NY Auto Show