Sponsored by:

2014 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I get the concern about reliability and having an untried "race" engine in the GT3. Another prediction; in less than 2 years this entire discussion will be moot.

Mike, this is what I'm waiting for and will happily accept it when its proven true... I will never take any statement at face value again and the manufacturer and their shabby engineering/testing practises are to blame for that...

Why the distrust you may think? Because Porsche have been fitting CLs to race cars and the CGT since the early 2000s yet look at the predicament us 997.2 guys are in... 3 years of denial on their ability followed by a passing of the buck on the maintenance/repair bills...
Old 03-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Joerg Bergmeister Looking Ahead To Porsche 911 RSR Debut...

Joerg Bergmeister Looking Ahead To Porsche 911 RSR Debut...

(28 March 2013)

After spending a decade in the American Le Mans Series, Joerg Bergmeister takes on the challenge for 2013, as the Porsche factory driver will compete in the FIA World Endurance Championship, as part of the German manufacturer’s works program with its new 911 RSR.

The latest-generation GTE-spec car was unveiled Thursday at Paul Ricard, site of this week’s official pre-season WEC testing, which will see a single 991-based contender being put through its paces by its six-driver squad ahead of next month’s season-opener in Silverstone.

SPEED caught up with Bergmeister to get his thoughts on the new car and a preview of the season ahead in the competitive GTE-Pro ranks of the WEC.

Q: Is the Porsche 911 RSR a big change to you as a driver?

BERGMEISTER: It’s still a 911. You have to adapt your driving style quite a bit, but in general, I felt comfortable in the car. It’s fun so far. I really like the looks of the car and I’m optimistic for the year.

Q: How much testing have you done so far?

BERGMEISTER: I started in October of last year. I’ve been to Aragon, Abu Dhabi, Portimao, Sebring and Weissach, of course. It’s been pretty busy and I’ve done quite some testing.

Q: Can you pinpoint a major difference between the 997 and 991 model GTE cars?

BERGMEISTER: It feels more like a proper race car. The 997 always had a lot of body movement in the car. Now with the new suspension and new aero, it feels more like a solid race car. Therefore, you can roll more speed into the corners.

Q: Are you hopeful the 911 RSR will be more competitive in GTE?

BERGMEISTER: We’re definitely going to have a learning curve with development of the new car. But it’s always the question of Balance od Performance of where you end up in the end. The car has a lot of potential and it’s already a step ahead of the 997.

Q: Are you approaching this season as a development year?

BERGMEISTER: If it was up to me, I’d like the wins for sure! We’ll have to see, though. With BoP, you can never say, ‘OK, we’re going to win this race.’ It’s just up to the rule makers in the end if you are competitive or not.

Q: Are you gong to miss racing in the ALMS this year?

BERGMEISTER: I’m definitely going to miss the ALMS. I’ve been over there since 2002. So it’s going to be good going to Austin to race there together with ALMS. But in general, I’m really looking forward to this program here.

As a factory deal, it’s all I can ask for, being involved in this. Hopefully we’ll have a strong year and see what happens for 2014.

Q: What do you think of the competition in GTE-Pro?

BERGMEISTER: It’s definitely not as many cars as in the ALMS but the level I think it just as good. There’s six cars with pro lineups and all factory cars. It’s going to be tough.

Joerg Bergmeister Looking Ahead To Porsche 911 RSR Debut -- Article Link

Old 03-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Richard Lietz Optimistic Of New Porsche 911 RSR...

Richard Lietz Optimistic Of New Porsche 911 RSR...

(30 March 2013)

Following a challenging first season, which saw his aging Porsche 997-based 911 GT3 RSR outpaced by the competition, Richard Lietz returns to the FIA World Endurance Championship as part of Porsche AG Team Manthey’s new 911 RSR program, and looking to take the fight to Ferrari and Aston Martin.

Lietz will rejoin longtime co-driver, and fellow Porsche factory driver Marc Lieb at the wheel of one of the German squad’s works GTE-Pro entries in the eight-round global championship, which kicks off next month at Silverstone.

With a brand-new car in the 911 RSR, unveiled Thursday at Paul Ricard, the Austrian will have a new challenge at hand in developing the latest GTE contender into a class winner on the world’s stage.

SPEED caught up with Lietz at the world premiere of the 911 RSR to get his thoughts on the car and the season ahead.

Q: What is the biggest change in the 911 RSR for you as a driver?

LIETZ: We’ve tried to develop a more consistent car. Last year we had quite a big drop, especially when it was hot. We lost a lot of time in Bahrain and all of the circuits where we had very high temperature.

The main focus was to try and get the car more consistent. I think we did quite a good job. I’m quite sure we’ll be more consistent.

Q: Does it take a different driving approach?

LIETZ: It’s definitely a 911, as the engine is in the back. It feels a little bit different because of the weight distribution. It’s a lot more to the front now, and it was a big step, over the bumps at Sebring, for example.

It is different to drive. It takes some time to get used to it, or to push the car to the limit. But in the end its very nice.

Q: How has the testing gone so far?

LIETZ: At the end, you’re testing to find the car’s problems. For sure, that’s why we did the tests. I’m quite sure we’ve solved all of them and the car should be ready to race.

Q: Are you looking forward to the battle in GTE-Pro?

LIETZ: It’s going to be a big fight. I’m happy that we are allowed and are able to fight with them. Of course the car is new, so it’s at the beginning of its development. But already now, you feel a lot of changes from the 997 to 991. It was a change in the right direction. So I’m quite sure we’ll be able to fight this time.

In the end, this is the reason why we are here. Last year, it was so difficult to fight with them; it was a little bit frustrating for us. Now if we are able to fight, it gives us more pleasure for us drivers.

Also with Kobayashi and Bruno Senna, there will also perhaps be more media coverage for the championship. I think it’s a big step and WEC is going in the right direction.

Q: Do you think it may be realistic to fight for wins in the first few races?

LIETZ: It’s a full factory, basically, but the factory didn’t do a lot of races last year. I think to give us some time, the first two races, will be important for us to get ready for Le Mans. But in the end, we’ve done a lot of testing and all the people are professionals, so I think we should start on a high level but there will still be stuff to improve.

From all the guys working on the team, the drivers, mechanics, engineers, etc. It’s new for everybody.

Richard Lietz Optimistic Of New Porsche 911 RSR -- Article Link

Old 03-14-2014, 03:15 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

Reading about the entries at Sebring, looks like the RSRs are running on IMSA E85C, the GT America cars are not-
Old 03-14-2014, 09:11 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Is this one allowed to be driven?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Is this one allowed to be driven?
they've dropped the GT3 in the title ....enables such
Old 03-15-2014, 09:34 AM
hzoenvy33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
they've dropped the GT3 in the title ....enables such
The 991 version of the RSR was always called 991 RSR and never 991 GT3 RSR (like the 997 GT3 RSR).
According to Radio Le Mans like a year ago, the homologation base of the RSR is not the GT3 but the "normal" 991... they did not just do that for 2014 and due to the GT3 problems..

Quick Reply: 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR