991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR

Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Porsche just put and light weight street legal interior and blinkers on this car.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:02 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

And old motor out the back for more weight and therefore better lift off oversteer into the walls!

Suprises me how all the new technologies are so required in the road cars yet not so where it counts most! In their race cars...

ShakeNBake, love your work, lmao.... But you missed one! The rear centrelock wheel deploy switch!
Old 03-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Suprises me how all the new technologies are so required in the road cars yet not so where it counts most! In their race cars...
Active suspensions, RWS, ABS, computer controlled electronic diffs, etc. etc. would absolutely be used in race cars if they were allowed by rule, but they're not. As you well know Chris, it's a cost and competitive parity issue, not because they're not incredibly effective and increase performance......
Old 03-30-2013, 04:19 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Active suspensions, RWS, ABS, computer controlled electronic diffs, etc. etc. would absolutely be used in race cars if they were allowed by rule, but they're not. As you well know Chris, it's a cost and competitive parity issue, not because they're not incredibly effective and increase performance......
Because you are supposed to be able to drive to pilot a race car..........
Old 03-30-2013, 05:45 AM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Porsche 911 RSR (Official Press Release)

Porsche 911 RSR (Official Press Release)

Consequent lightweight design for 50th anniversary...

Stuttgart. Porsche has developed a new GT race car for the World Endurance Championship (WEC) and the Le Mans 24 Hours. The new 911 RSR is characterised by consequent lightweight design and sophisticated aerodynamics. The exceptional vehicle styling honours a very special anniversary: From a bird’s eye perspective, the numbers 50 and 911 are visible. These stand for 50 years of the Porsche 911. The Porsche AG Team Manthey works squad exclusively fields two Porsche 911 RSR in the 2013 season.

The new 911 RSR, which is based on the seventh generation of the iconic 911 sports car, follows in the footsteps of its successful predecessor, the 911 GT3 RSR. As with the production vehicle, the wheelbase grew by about ten centimetres. A new wishbone front suspension replaces the previously used McPherson struts. Another new development from Porsche Motorsport is the particularly lightweight racing gearbox. The six gears are selected via paddles on the steering wheel. The 460 hp, 4.0-litre six-cylinder boxer engine was taken from the predecessor and optimised in detail.

One of the priorities in the development of the new 911 RSR was the more evenly balanced weight distribution. The centre of gravity is also significantly lower than that of its predecessor. Carbon fibre played a crucial role in the new design. The front and rear mudguards, front and rear lids, doors, underbody, wheel arches, rear wing, dashboard and centre console are constructed from the very light and strong material. Moreover, all windows are made of particularly thin and light polycarbonate. Also contributing to the weight reduction is the lithium-ion battery known from the GT road-legal models.

The look of the new 911 RSR is dominated by the flared mudguards and the deep cooling air intakes at the front. With the new air ducting, the radiator is now centrally-located in the front and even more effective than in the previous model. At the same time, the cockpit air conditioning became more efficient. The quick-change concept of the body parts was specially adapted for endurance racing, allowing for easier maintenance and shorter repair times. The front end, front lid and rear panel are fitted with quick release systems and can be replaced within seconds.

Competing in the Porsche 911 RSR with starting number 92 are Porsche works drivers Marc Lieb (Germany) and Richard Lietz (Austria), who already shared a cockpit in the 2012 WEC. At the first two races of the season in Silverstone (14.4) and Spa (4.5) as well as at the 24 Hours of Le Mans (22.6), they receive support from their works driver colleague Romain Dumas (France). Factory pilots also drive the #91 sister car, with Joerg Bergmeister (Germany) and Patrick Pilet (France) making up a team. In Silverstone, Spa and Le Mans, the duo is joined by Timo Bernhard (Germany).

-- Source: Porsche Motorsport --

Old 03-30-2013, 05:51 AM
Boxster Coupe GTS
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Porsche 991 RSR: Interview with Patrick Pilet...

Porsche 991 RSR: Interview with Patrick Pilet...

PATRICK PILET: "FOR US TO REFINE OUR WEAPONS!"

Patrick Pilet is one of two French pilots who will fly one of two Porsche 911 RSR Endurance World Championship with Romain Dumas. After a season in the International GT Open in IMSA Performance Matmut plus a few rods in the ALMS, the Auch share the wheel of the # 91 with Jörg Bergmeister on the entire FIA ​​WEC season, the duo is joined by Timo Bernhard 24 Hours of Le Mans. It is in the booth Team Manthey Porsche AG the German manufacturer has introduced its new baby to the press. It is a pleasure Patrick Pilet has unveiled the 911 RSR.

Laurent Mercier: This is the beginning of a new challenge for you with the 911 RSR?

Patrick Pilet: "This is a beautiful car and the beginning of a new challenge. I am very pleased to have been selected for this program. It has been 15 years since Porsche had not taken part in an official program in Endurance. In addition, I will play the entire championship. This year, the GTE-Pro looks even tougher than last year. Just look at the list of entrants for the 24 Hours of Le Mans where there is only official teams. It's just madness. That is a great season ahead of us and we refine our weapons!"

The first tests were positive?

"It took optimize everything and we still do not explore all areas of the car. The first tests were positive and all gaining momentum gradually. Team Manthey Porsche AG has the means to do well. We completed a lot of kilometers, even though the weather was not very favourable on some sessions. I am the only one to have taken part in all development. We will say that this car before us is the model 2.0 that I drove in late 2012."

It is much more successful than the old one?

"The car is a 911. However, there are many differences, especially in terms of control. To us to adapt. Found the sensations of 997. The wheelbase of the 911 RSR is elongated and wishbone front is different, which can help us especially on the edges. Everyone works hard to ensure that we are ready for Silverstone. There is a lot of pressure and the desire to do well. We want to win and demonstrate the potential of the car."

Before lifting the veil on the 911 RSR, the pilots of the Porsche Carrera Cup France were able to view exclusive. You continue your role as sponsor?

"This is a chance for them to be able to see the car. It is a way to tell them that's what you have to do! it can be yours in the future. (Laughs). I think the level will be even more than last year. I will be more present in the meetings according to my program. I'm really glad to be again the sponsor of the Porsche Carrera Cup France."

You have another program set with Porsche?

"I have to take part in the Nürburgring 24 Hours race with a preparer. The team will be announced shortly. The tour is fabulous and it's a little Disneyland for pilots. This is one of the last circuits where the pilot makes the difference. I took part in a race in 2012 and Olaf Manthey has asked me to start, which was a sacred responsibility. I completed all my stint in mind and I have very fond memories."

Do you have the LMP1 prototype in a corner of your head?

"I am fully concentrated on the 911 RSR program. For the record, when I signed my contract with Porsche in 2008, I told them that I wanted to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and not only in GT. At that time, I did not know that Porsche would return to the premier class. I'll take things as they come and I'll start with my best this season."

Porsche 991 RSR: Interview with Patrick Pilet -- Article Link

Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Nothing, at all, in common with 991 GT3. Not one single part. RSR runs, what $450k now for a new one? All great eye candy but nothing in common with GT3 regardless of what the Kool-Aid drinkers want to believe.

Cheers...
For sure. It is a serious race car built to rules for a purpose, not a track day toy, regardless what the racer wannabes want to believe.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Which of the 2 drivers teams do you think is stronger?

The WEC season will be very interesting to watch this year. Think the new suspension/longer wheel base will be great for high speed corners. May not be able to match the 458 in terms of fuel consumption - which may be a big issue at Le Mans.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

No 9A1 DFI and PDK automatic. Shocking.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:05 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Valid point Mike but by the same token for endurance racing they are using the old, heavy Mezger at 4lt displacement to produce 460 hp when they have access to a new, lighter 3.8lt powerplant that is already at higher output and can be detuned to the same level. The new engine would give better fuel economy to boot... Are we to interpret this as Porsche having less faith in the new engine completing an enduro for the fuel economy and weight advantage to come into play?

The message coming from Porsche motorsport is inconsistent for the road and race cars...

As an amateur tracker, I have greater comfort in the engine finding its way into their race cars being able to go the distance from a reliability standpoint for me over the engine they tell me is space age and best... Just saying
Old 03-30-2013, 12:00 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Are we to interpret this as Porsche having less faith in the new engine completing an enduro for the fuel economy and weight advantage to come into play?
The last RS to be used for homologation had the Mezger engine. The new RS does not exist yet and hence the new engine has not been homologised for racing. Or?

As an amateur tracker, I have greater comfort in the engine finding its way into their race cars being able to go the distance from a reliability standpoint for me over the engine they tell me is space age and best... Just saying
You can feel comfort in both engines having been designed by the Motorsport department and that the new engine is based on decades of experience from running the Mezger engine.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:59 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Valid point Mike but by the same token for endurance racing they are using the old, heavy Mezger at 4lt displacement to produce 460 hp when they have access to a new, lighter 3.8lt powerplant that is already at higher output and can be detuned to the same level. The new engine would give better fuel economy to boot... Are we to interpret this as Porsche having less faith in the new engine completing an enduro for the fuel economy and weight advantage to come into play?

The message coming from Porsche motorsport is inconsistent for the road and race cars...

460 hp is because of the air restrictor. Sans restrictor you're talking about 600+ hp. GT3-R; a car supposedly one grade lower than the RSR, produces 550hp from the same 4L motor.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:11 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

the RSR does have something in common with all the other porsche road cars- still has a steel frame- not carbon fiber. unlike a lot of other race cars (corvette, ferrari) which actually have carbon tubs or are space frame cars the RSR is very much a street type cage/ frame
Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Chris, I may have this wrong, but I believe GT rules require homologation. Since no cars with the new engine are in production yet, the new engine can't be used for racing. IMO, this was an issue of timing and corporate priorities regarding engine development. My prediction is that this is the swan song for the Mezger; next year's car will see the new powerplant for all of the reasons you mention.

I get the concern about reliability and having an untried "race" engine in the GT3. Another prediction; in less than 2 years this entire discussion will be moot.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

...in less than 2 years this entire discussion will be moot.
Of all the speculation that has been going on here about the new GT3, this statement is the one I believe the most in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 RSR