Just received the 918 Spyder brochure package

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95spiderman

btw, 918 is gorgeous
That it is...but against the Macca P1, Fezza F70 (well that's what LaFerrai should have been called..), Huayra, and Koenig....overweight and underpowered.....

If you're dropping a buck..on a machine....i'm hardpressed to see the 918 making it to the top of the list.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 PM
gibbyc4s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you will need to go out and buy a few.

They're way short of the worldwide sales number of 918 units sold (they're st about 400)

Then they can start to promote the 960 but until then it's green packages to random customers.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I cant imaginethem ever selling 918 units?
Just not enough collectors out there.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
991 GT3 actually got the RWS from the 918 program, the RWS was developed for and is used on the 918.

918=biggest boondoggle ever. Cannot comprehend on any level why someone would want to buy one. That is all I am going to say.
Thanks for doing the reading for me. I think it's an endorsement of the GT3 that they've applied the technology to a mid-engine (AWD, right?) flagship car, then applied it to the rear-engine dinosaur with apparently effective results.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:01 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Thanks for doing the reading for me. I think it's an endorsement of the GT3 that they've applied the technology to a mid-engine (AWD, right?) flagship car, then applied it to the rear-engine dinosaur with apparently effective results.
Look at the size of the battery needed for RWS in the 918!

Old 03-23-2013, 04:08 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
And just because I cannot resist- "collectors" of what exactly?

Examples of corporate mistakes? Excess? Engineering for no good purpose? Who thought up the 918 and who gave the final stamp of approval? One man? The board? All this time, effort and money to develop this concept which could have been directed instead in so many more beneficial directions.

All we got is an exercise in tying together a bunch of systems for the sake of complexity. For the life of me I cannot appreciate what could possibly have been behind the idea. A carbon fiber life support system for a battery. Why why why?

The new Porsche brand...everything is heavier, more complex, more expensive
Old 03-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Slowekistan
Intermediate

Examples of corporate mistakes? Excess? Engineering for no good purpose? Who thought up the 918 and who gave the final stamp of approval? One man? The board? All this time, effort and money to develop this concept which could have been directed instead in so many more beneficial directions.

All we got is an exercise in tying together a bunch of systems for the sake of complexity. For the life of me I cannot appreciate what could possibly have been behind the idea. A carbon fiber life support system for a battery. Why why why?

Also more emotional due to totally revised software...
Old 03-23-2013, 04:26 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Slowekistan
Also more emotional due to totally revised software...
Old 03-23-2013, 05:22 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Both the 918 marketing package and a nice 991 C4S hardcover book arrived at my house this week. Maybe they have me on the "he's due list".
Old 03-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The smart collectors are locking down 997 GT3 & GT2 RS's.

The world is changing and the days of the conventional car are numbered. Pending 35mpg and 54mpg fleet requirements in 2016 and 2025 virtually guarantee it.

I look at the 918 as a very expensive R&D exercise in preparation for the new realty and Porsche has wisely opted to get their "best" customers to fund a large chunk.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:07 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

991 GT3 actually got the RWS from the 918 program, the RWS was developed for and is used on the 918.

918=biggest boondoggle ever. Cannot comprehend on any level why someone would want to buy one. That is all I am going to say.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Just got my 918 Spyder brochure "kit" in the mail today too, and, to be balanced, on the plus side, the 918 is a much better looking car than its hybrid supercar competition-the ghastly looking LaFerrari and McL P1-sorry F-car and M-car fanboi's.

On the negative side, I still don't understand the marketing rationale for developing this car. IMO PAG should have focused on the 960 as their halo car taking a flat-8 or flat-10 and developing turbocharging and supercharging ala Jaguar's CX75 motor developed with Williams. But what do I know, I still prefer to drive Porsche's dinosaur of a car-their 993 TT with its emissions-be-damned/noise-ordinance-disobeying air-cooled motor and its archaic manual transmission.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree. This car is going to flop. Porsche should remove the electric motors and cut the price in half.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The only reason you build a car like this is to make a statement!

And as a performance car manufacturer, their hypercar's statement should be "catch me if you can". This car should only have been built if it was going to eclipse the competition with a sub 7 minute NBR time and Veyron like acceleration till it's 300+ km top speed to justify the price tag!

Toyota did the whole electric motors thing like 10 years ago and even Tesla have been there for at least the past 3-4 years...

Waste of effort and a guaranteed disappointment in the making!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:07 AM
nycartdealer
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

I was notified last week by email that I would be receiving said packet in the mail shortly. I have never seen the 918 in person nor been invited or attended a VIP viewing event but I will reserve judgement until that happens. Porsche does NOT make too many marketing mistakes as of late if I remember correctly.
People laughed when they announced the Cayenne and Panamera. Looks who is laughing now.

Quick Reply: Just received the 918 Spyder brochure package