Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which car drives like a video game now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:28 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts
Default which car drives like a video game now?

people criticize nissan gtr because it 'drives like its a video game'. while that is a nonsense statement, i find it interesting how the 991 gt3 tech compares to the gtr -

dct - both
tc - both
esp - both
torque vectoring- both
awd - gtr
electric steering - gt3
rear wheel steering - gt3
g force meter- both
computer control shocks - both
computer control engine mounts - gt3

other than the awd, it seems the gt3 should drive even more like a 'video game' than the gtr. we will see
Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,147 Likes on 566 Posts

I rented a Venza last week, and it drove way more like videogame (actually, more like arcade from 80s) than GTR or any other car I've driven in recent years, and yet it does not have even 1/4 of technology of a GTR.

It's all the matter of engineering and product design decisions that go into the car - how much it communicates back, how HiFi this communication is, how quickly it reacts when you do something, how easy it os to predict what the car will do etc. It's not as much about the amount of technology but rather about what it's used for.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
people criticize nissan gtr because it 'drives like its a video game'. while that is a nonsense statement, i find it interesting how the 991 gt3 tech compares to the gtr
I think the main reason people criticise the GTR is due to the lack of involvement and feedback, which does not necessarily have anything with the tech to do. I did a few laps around the Ring in a GTR and I don't think I have driven many cars which feels that much disconnected from the track tarmac. You can probably criticise the Nissan Micra for being disconnected too, although it lacks all the tech.

I expect the 991 GT3 to feel as involving and connected as the 997 GT3.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
I think the main reason people criticise the GTR is due to the lack of involvement and feedback, which does not necessarily have anything with the tech to do. I did a few laps around the Ring in a GTR and I don't think I have driven many cars which feels that much disconnected from the track tarmac. You can probably criticise the Nissan Micra for being disconnected too, although it lacks all the tech.

I expect the 991 GT3 to feel as involving and connected as the 997 GT3.
Agree completely. Look at all the vehicles out there with similar levels of equipment and tech, in every catagory from sports car to SUV, yet some are involving with great feedback and others are like driving appliances. It's not the technology per se, it's how it's implemented in the package.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,781 Likes on 2,189 Posts

This discussion is premature until people actually drive the 991 GT3. That info will be vital in my decision about whether to get one.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

i do not think it is possible to have a 'driver's car' (like a lotus exige) with such an extensive tech package like gt3 will have. all of the computerization acts like a filter between driver and road even if it makes the car extremely fast.

new gt3 may be fantasic in many aspects like hi rev engine response, sound, fast lap times, etc but i bet it will have the same 'video game' feel as a gtr
Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
i do not think it is possible to have a 'driver's car' (like a lotus exige) with such an extensive tech package like gt3 will have. all of the computerization acts like a filter between driver and road even if it makes the car extremely fast.

new gt3 may be fantasic in many aspects like hi rev engine response, sound, fast lap times, etc but i bet it will have the same 'video game' feel as a gtr
Due respect, I'll bet you are wrong....
Old 03-23-2013, 02:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I dont like how the 991 non GT3 drives much, but the GTR drives much better in the video game than in real life. The GTR is one of the worst track and street cars Ive driven.

Cool cars, very fast cars, drive like ****.

Its all personal prefernce of course and we are really very spoiled with our 997RS cars..
Nothing feels better or even close.

Quick Reply: which car drives like a video game now?