Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could ask Andreas Preuninger (chief engineer of the new GT3) what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you could ask Andreas Preuninger (chief engineer of the new GT3) what would it be?

We have some face time scheduled with Andreas Preuninger (chief engineer of the new GT3 and head of Porsche's GT series production) next week. We have quite a few questions we would like to ask him but wanted to know if any of you had anything specific we could try and get answered? If so, let us know and we'll do our best to get his response for you.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Ask him why Porsche ignored the USA with a proper seat that would fit a 6 point harness. Why didn't Porsche not think this was an important option on a car that is going to be used on a track? Corvette believes this is an important option for the new 2014 Vette.

I personally don't believe Porsche thought ahead far enough or really is in touch with their enthusiast customer anymore.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 AM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

+1 on the bucket seats missing in action for the US, is Porsche going to do anything about it, if so when ?

Also would like to know what the maintenance schedules are going to be for track driven miles (like what Porsche implemented for the 997.2 CL's), for CL, PDK, and any other parts (if any)

What Brand / Type tires for the US ?

Last but not least, when/if is this engine going to be used in Motorsports, and in which models ?

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by mike2727; 03-22-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: forgot 1 question LOL
Old 03-22-2013, 12:13 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

id say they removed the bucket seat option due to lack of sales with buckets.

AND

they are saving it for the RS.

But i would like to know when can we expect the 960 race car?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Take a baseball bat to his head until he swears to put a proper manual transmission option back in the 991 "GT3", and remind him that it was he who used the term "granny paddles" just 3 short years ago to describe the PDK.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Ask him why Porsche ignored the USA with a proper seat that would fit a 6 point harness. Why didn't Porsche not think this was an important option on a car that is going to be used on a track? Corvette believes this is an important option for the new 2014 Vette.

I personally don't believe Porsche thought ahead far enough or really is in touch with their enthusiast customer anymore.
+1
Old 03-22-2013, 12:40 AM
m5trol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please thank him on my behalf for making the most awesome vehicles at an affordable price point. Yes we would love to have a real gearbox and bucket seats but I am still grateful to him and his team for doing what they do. Once again, thank you Mr.Preuninger.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:45 AM
fun2k
Racer

Ask him how difficult is it to put a third pedal just to simulate the clutch release function cuz my left leg is plotting to paralyze me very soon.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 AM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Ask him if the Mezger motor installed in the 991 cup will remain the engine choice for at least 3 years and if so, does that mean the link between production engines and race engines is indefinitely lost.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Ask him why Porsche ignored the USA with a proper seat that would fit a 6 point harness. Why didn't Porsche not think this was an important option on a car that is going to be used on a track?
I don't expect him to tell us the true reason for this decision...which was not his to make, but PCNA's!

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
id say they removed the bucket seat option due to lack of sales with buckets.
I don't think that is the reason. And US dealers did all they could to NOT ORDER these optional sport buckets because they were making their sales job 'harder'! But the real reason is beyond anything related to 'low sales' or a 'hostile' dealer environment for these sport bucket seats!

I personally don't believe Porsche thought ahead far enough or really is in touch with their enthusiast customer anymore
Again, I don't think this is their 'thinking'. Let me give you my own personal thoughts on the matter. My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

This was a decision made by PCNA and their lawyers here in the United States! They knew there would be 'blowback' from enthusiasts! But they felt that the optional sport bucket seats (which are designed to easily fit a 6 point racing harness) MIGHT be deemed in a court of law as an 'encouragement' to their customers take their 991 gt3's to the track! And that recreational track use (not racing!) might create liability issues for Porsche & PCNA due to mechanical defects which they don't yet know if they have corrected from the issues that arose with their .2 gt3's (CL, etc).

By not allowing the 'sport bucket seat' option in the US, PCNA has 'bought' another year to double check Motorsport's engineering & conduct field tests to make sure that their upcoming 991 gt3 RS is 'bullet proof' before they release it with 'sport bucket seats' and admit to 'track' and not just 'street' use. At least, that is what the lawyers are advising Porsche as to how to maneuver in the legal mire that has been created by these serious defects in recent Porsche models. There has been no fatalities to date...but that doesn't mean they are not concerned & worried it could happen! Their goal to avoid as much exposure of their 991 gt3's in recreational track events (especially in the United States, the most litigious society in the world!) until they are certain the issues are 'solved'.

The question I would ask Andreas Preuninger would be much simpler...and perhaps by his answer he can give us a hint if legal issues are of paramount importance!

"Andreas, can the ROW optional 'sport bucket seats' (gt2-type/airbags/folding) available now in Europe be imported legally into the US and be plugged-in into the upcoming US spec MY2014 991 gt3 without making inoperable the airbags on both seats and the seat sensors on the passenger seat?"

If he says "NO", we have learned something of value!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-22-2013, 01:40 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Ed. You are cunning. Bravo.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:46 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

How can they ignore all the happy customers who purchased previous gt3 models......?

We have come to expect and hope for an evolution of the gt3.. . . .a lightweight engaging street car, that can be great on the track.

Porsche built themselves a reputation by creating exceptionally performing cars, at realistic prices... Why such a dramatic change to the model, and will the old model ever come back alive?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:20 AM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
I don't expect him to tell us the true reason for this decision...which was not his to make, but PCNA's!

I don't think that is the reason. And US dealers did all they could to NOT ORDER these optional sport buckets because they were making their sales job 'harder'! But the real reason is beyond anything related to 'low sales' or a 'hostile' dealer environment for these sport bucket seats!

Again, I don't think this is their 'thinking'. Let me give you my own personal thoughts on the matter. My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

This was a decision made by PCNA and their lawyers here in the United States! They knew there would be 'blowback' from enthusiasts! But they felt that the optional sport bucket seats (which are designed to easily fit a 6 point racing harness) MIGHT be deemed in a court of law as an 'encouragement' to their customers take their 991 gt3's to the track! And that recreational track use (not racing!) might create liability issues for Porsche & PCNA due to mechanical defects which they don't yet know if they have corrected from the issues that arose with their .2 gt3's (CL, etc).

By not allowing the 'sport bucket seat' option in the US, PCNA has 'bought' another year to double check Motorsport's engineering & conduct field tests to make sure that their upcoming 991 gt3 RS is 'bullet proof' before they release it with 'sport bucket seats' and admit to 'track' and not just 'street' use. At least, that is what the lawyers are advising Porsche as to how to maneuver in the legal mire that has been created by these serious defects in recent Porsche models. There has been no fatalities to date...but that doesn't mean they are not concerned & worried it could happen! Their goal to avoid as much exposure of their 991 gt3's in recreational track events (especially in the United States, the most litigious society in the world!) until they are certain the issues are 'solved'.

The question I would ask Andreas Preuninger would be much simpler...and perhaps by his answer he can give us a hint if legal issues are of paramount importance!

"Andreas, can the ROW optional 'sport bucket seats' (gt2-type/airbags/folding) available now in Europe be imported legally into the US and be plugged-in into the upcoming US spec MY2014 991 gt3 without making inoperable the airbags on both seats and the seat sensors on the passenger seat?"

Saludos,
Eduardo
You are asking 2 questions, so he needs to give 2 answers, the first one is of no importance, the second could give an inside as to the "why"
I am sure you can legally import any seat you want but that is not the issue

Mike
Old 03-22-2013, 02:29 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Ask him if (as their marketing department states) the buyers of the Cayman do not overlap with the 911 buyers, why they don't put a 400hp Carrera S engine in the Cayman - call it a Cayman GT or something.

Good luck getting an answer to that!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Saludos,
Eduardo
Eduardo, you might be right, but let me suggest a possible simpler answer. Word is that Porsche is coming out with a redesigned GT bucket seat. Keep in mind that cars won't be delivered here until at least Nov/Dec so the "gap period" without sport buckets will probably be just a few months. They didn't want to have to go through the expense of certifying the current GT bucket in the 991 GT3 for that short period, then have to go through the process again with the new seat. The number of US customers to be affected by this decision is likely to be very low, so they risked upsetting those few customers. Not saying that's optimal, but as a business decision it makes sense on some levels.

As to your question for AP, he would certainly answer that Porsche would not recommend using an uncertified ROW seat in a US car, regardless of whether he knows if there would be airbag issues or not. For legal reasons, what else could he say?

My question would be: How long will the production run for the first gen 991 GT3 last and how many cars are planned to be produced?

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-22-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Quick Reply: If you could ask Andreas Preuninger (chief engineer of the new GT3) what would it be?