Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could ask Andreas Preuninger (chief engineer of the new GT3) what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
We have some face time scheduled with Andreas Preuninger (chief engineer of the new GT3 and head of Porsche's GT series production) next week. We have quite a few questions we would like to ask him but wanted to know if any of you had anything specific we could try and get answered? If so, let us know and we'll do our best to get his response for you.
I would ask:

1) How many 991 GT3 orders would Porsche need in U.S., to make it feasible to offer 5-lug bolt wheels as an option?

2) How many 991 GT3 orders would Porsche need in U.S., to offer the Sport Bucket seats introduced with the 2008 GT2 as an option?

3) What's the longevity ratio of the 991 GT3 new electronic differential compared to the rapidly wearing differential used in the 996 and 997 GT3?

4) Is the 991 GT3 engine going into the 2014 GT3 Cup, 2014 GT3 R and 2014 GT3RSR?

5) How many 991 GT3 orders would Porsche need in U.S., to offer a manual transmission option?

6) Could you include the U.S. GT3 RS buyers as part of the focus groups to help development on the future GT cars? ROW focus groups seem to be softening the GT cars.

7) What's your strategy to get the Porsche GT cars back to the place they used to be, where they set the highest performance pace in their segment compared to the competitor products from GM/Ford/Chrysles/BMW/Audi?

8) Would Porsche consider to produce a limited edition, composite materials, lightweight version of a future 991 GT3 or 991 GT3 RS, following the concept of the 1973 911 Carrera RS, and how many units would need to be sold worldwide to make it viable?

9) Would Porsche consider a limited partnership with RUF to produce special edition GT cars?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the company accountants and tech advisors/shamen are the 'focus groups'.

good questions though! i like #8
Old 03-22-2013, 07:23 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I would ask:

1) How many 991 GT3 orders would Porsche need in U.S., to make it feasible to offer 5-lug bolt wheels as an option?

2) How many 991 GT3 orders would Porsche need in U.S., to offer the Sport Bucket seats introduced with the 2008 GT2 as an option?

3) What's the longevity ratio of the 991 GT3 new electronic differential compared to the rapidly wearing differential used in the 996 and 997 GT3?

4) Is the 991 GT3 engine going into the 2014 GT3 Cup, 2014 GT3 R and 2014 GT3RSR?

5) How many 991 GT3 orders would Porsche need in U.S., to offer a manual transmission option?

6) Could you include the U.S. GT3 RS buyers as part of the focus groups to help development on the future GT cars? ROW focus groups seem to be softening the GT cars.

7) What's your strategy to get the Porsche GT cars back to the place they used to be, where they set the highest performance pace in their segment compared to the competitor products from GM/Ford/Chrysles/BMW/Audi?

8) Would Porsche consider to produce a limited edition, composite materials, lightweight version of a future 991 GT3 or 991 GT3 RS, following the concept of the 1973 911 Carrera RS, and how many units would need to be sold worldwide to make it viable?

9) Would Porsche consider a limited partnership with RUF to produce special edition GT cars?
Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
the company accountants and tech advisors/shamen are the 'focus groups'.

good questions though! i like #8
You guys got it, that's for sure

#8 is the solution. Stripped out, light-weight, basic.

Never going to happen though. They won't print money with that model like they do on all the rest. I'm convinced they have transitioned fully to a renminbi/ruble extraction strategy. If you boil down the official word on the RS, there is not much left to give other than some more HP.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Nefarious signifies something criminal, wicked or evil. That is not what is being suggested. Instead, you can interpret their tactic of not offering 'sport bucket seats' in the US market as prudent, rational and wise business decision based on the best advice of PCNA's lawyers and their awareness of recent defects (e.g. CL's) in some of their models.

I could accuse you too of sounding 'silly' with your devoted defense of Porsche and their suppose infallibility re: these 'defect' issues. But I will not bring myself to do it... since I respect you and your views!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ew-recall.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...onversion.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-registry.html

PCNA (and PAG at the time) was not aware back then that certain parts of the 997 gt3, gt3 RS, gt2 RS and others would have the issues (e.g. CL) that they have experienced! Had they foreseen it, I doubt they would have allowed the 'sport bucket seats' to be offered on the 997 US models!

They will be offered again in the US when PCNA is certain that the vehicle in which they are offered does no longer posed a liability to them in repeated recreational DE use at the track (not racing!).

This country has some of the more onerous tort & liability laws in the world and an oversupply of lawyers that will be happy to apply them to Porsche in case of an accident involving injuries or deaths.

Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Your original wager was that the new style sport bucket would debut just a few months after the first 991 gt3's were to be delivered in the US (see below). Now you have apparently hedged your bet and suggest it will come when the RS is introduced! Well, the 991 gt3 RS will not be introduced into this market until at least Fall of 2014 as a MY2015, maybe 9 months or one year after the 991 gt3 starts arriving & begin deliveries in our market!

I have also posted that I expect some sort of 'Sport Bucket Seats' on the US 991 gt3 RS when it arrives...if all goes well. It's all about this model being 'bullet proof', not some bureaucratic issue with certification. As others have said, they could have certified the gt2 seat for the MY2014 991 gt3 in the US had they wanted to...and done it very easily!

No, I lost that bet fair & square. But I have carefully studied Porsche's recent announcements and I am pessimistic that we will see a 'sport bucket seat' option on the MY2014 US 991 gt3! I hope you and others (e.g. Stirling Moss) are right...and we get them sooner. Time will tell! But we are still on for drinks at my house during your visit to Carmel at the Historics! The beers are on me!

My advise to anyone intent in buying a 991 gt3 in the US is to seriously consider postponing their purchase until the MY2015 model is introduced! It will take at least one year of testing and warranty experience for Porsche & the public to see if the so-called improvements on the CL fixed the issues! And that no significant problems arise with the 'new' DFI gt3 engine, rear wheel steering and the rest of the innovations offered on this new model! Even if you don't elect to go for the 'RS' model, I believe the MY2015 base gt3 will be the one to aim for! If the engineering proves solid, we will see a 'sport bucket' offered on both the MY2015 gt3 and RS. It will also be when the PTS window is probably open for this base gt3 model. Again, my dos centavos, for what it's worth!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Eduardo, I think we just have a friendly disagreement on some of these issues. Also, I've never suggested Porsche was infallible. I've had no experience with the CL or coolant hose issues, for example, and I don't think you'll find anywhere where I've defended Porsche regarding them.

I do however, not just with cars, tend to focus on positives rather than negatives, and in the case of Porsche that's been reinforced by my positive 30 year experience with owning and driving their cars. It surprises me sometimes that people (not you) have so much negative to say about Porsche in a Porsche forum. It's puzzling; if I don't like something I tend not to go to places devoted to that thing. I know; it's supposed to be constructive criticism but some of it doesn't come across particularly constructively. Perhaps my relentless positivism is simply an attempt to keep the scales balanced.

One thing to make clear, I most certainly respect your views as well and intended no disrespect with my reference to being "silly". Cheers my friend, here's to our eventual meeting in Carmel, my birthplace.

Best,
Old 03-22-2013, 08:09 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Nefarious signifies something criminal, wicked or evil. That is not what is being suggested. Instead, you can interpret their tactic of not offering 'sport bucket seats' in the US market as prudent, rational and wise business decision based on the best advice of PCNA's lawyers and their awareness of recent defects (e.g. CL's) in some of their models.

PCNA (and PAG at the time) was not aware back then that certain parts of the 997 gt3, gt3 RS, gt2 RS and others would have the issues (e.g. CL) that they have experienced! Had they foreseen it, I doubt they would have allowed the 'sport bucket seats' to be offered on the 997 US models!

They will be offered again in the US when PCNA is certain that the vehicle in which they are offered does no longer posed a liability to them in repeated recreational DE use at the track (not racing!).

This country has some of the more onerous tort & liability laws in the world and an oversupply of lawyers that will be happy to apply them to Porsche in case of an accident involving injuries or deaths.

My advise to anyone intent in buying a 991 gt3 in the US is to seriously consider postponing their purchase until the MY2015 model is introduced! It will take at least one year of testing and warranty experience for Porsche & the public to see if the so-called improvements on the CL fixed the issues! And that no significant problems arise with the 'new' DFI gt3 engine, rear wheel steering and the rest of the innovations offered on this new model! Even if you don't elect to go for the 'RS' model, I believe the MY2015 base gt3 will be the one to aim for! If the engineering proves solid, we will see a 'sport bucket' offered on both the MY2015 gt3 and RS. It will also be when the PTS window is probably open for this base gt3 model. Again, my dos centavos, for what it's worth!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Eduardo, i believe you have very valid arguments and as we see on this forums, there is a strong following in the US of these GT models for track use... Porsche would simply just have to look at their warranty claim data to work out which markets are tracking cars. There are guys on these forums that have had transmission swaps on more than one occasion in cars with less than 20000 miles.

The CL issues got Porsche by surprise and considering they've just settled an IMS class action case in the US and the new car is equipped with new engine, trans and all matter of new technology, one can start to understand why they would want to discourage or make the car unappealing for track use...

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Sure, leave the seats out, but keep the CLs - that's 'the fix'. I wouldn't have believed that would be considered, but it seems like it is.
To go back to 5 lug would be an admission that they got it wrong with the 997.2 and as we know Porsche is never wrong!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I do however, not just with cars, tend to focus on positives rather than negatives, and in the case of Porsche that's been reinforced by my positive 30 year experience with owning and driving their cars. It surprises me sometimes that people (not you) have so much negative to say about Porsche in a Porsche forum. It's puzzling; if I don't like something I tend not to go to places devoted to that thing. I know; it's supposed to be constructive criticism but some of it doesn't come across particularly constructively. Perhaps my relentless positivism is simply an attempt to keep the scales balanced.
As (likely) 'one of those' who "have so much negative to say about Porsche in a Porsche forum", I have to say that for me, it's all about trends. I'd like to be more optimistic about Porsche, but their recent products (and history of 'solutions' to some of these self-inflicted issues) have given me little (though not none) room for optimism. Porsche isn't my religion.. I won't put blind faith in them and their product plans for me.

I'm on RL for a variety of reasons, including issue resolution and camaraderie of like-minded individuals. But the primary reason is that RL is the only forum I've found that seems to be geared to enthusiast drivers.

As a buyer, I can't influence the company... if savy, mooty and many others with regular, big $ sales can't, what chance to do I have? But plenty of people, including Porsche, are aware of RL and the die-hard enthusiasts that track their cars (finding problems missed during factory testing) and frequent this forum. I want them to see our perspective - the other side - and our concerns with the direction Porsche has taken, and maybe even help reverse the product trend I've been seeing. As a late 'convert' to the Porsche fold, the last thing I want do is lose them, or have them lose me. I want Porsche to 'right the ship' - talk about crazy optimism.

But Rad is spot-on... those are perfect questions. If AP 'non-answers' it will tell us more about Porsche plans than anything else we've heard from anyone's lips.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:01 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ask him why the 991 GT3 got a centerlock redesign while almost simultaneously the existing owners of 997 centerlocks got hit with an expensive, "imposed after purchase" track maintenance schedule?

Ask him how he would feel if he bought a 2010 GT3, which was heavily marketed and hyped as a track vehicle, then 2.5 years into his ownership of the car, the factory suddenly orders a 4200 mi replacement schedule for expensive hubs, bearing, center lock bolts.

Ask him if he thinks Porsche GT car track junkies will remain loyal to his cars and take him seriously when this has been done to them.

I know Porsche could care less about track junkie business, but he should hear those questions.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
As (likely) 'one of those' who "have so much negative to say about Porsche in a Porsche forum", I have to say that for me, it's all about trends. I'd like to be more optimistic about Porsche, but their recent products (and history of 'solutions' to some of these self-inflicted issues) have given me little (though not none) room for optimism. Porsche isn't my religion.. I won't put blind faith in them and their product plans for me.

I'm on RL for a variety of reasons, including issue resolution and camaraderie of like-minded individuals. But the primary reason is that RL is the only forum I've found that seems to be geared to enthusiast drivers.

As a buyer, I can't influence the company... if savy, mooty and many others with regular, big $ sales can't, what chance to do I have? But plenty of people, including Porsche, are aware of RL and the die-hard enthusiasts that track their cars (finding problems missed during factory testing) and frequent this forum. I want them to see our perspective - the other side - and our concerns with the direction Porsche has taken, and maybe even help reverse the product trend I've been seeing. As a late 'convert' to the Porsche fold, the last thing I want do is lose them, or have them lose me. I want Porsche to 'right the ship' - talk about crazy optimism.

But Rad is spot-on... those are perfect questions. If AP 'non-answers' it will tell us more about Porsche plans than anything else we've heard from anyone's lips.
Steve, I appreciate your perspective. I was referring to no one in particular, and as I was careful to say, only some of the criticism comes across as not particularly constructive. The constructive comments, like those you just made, are clearly genuine and obvious. The relentlessly negative comments that seem to have no constructive purpose are equally obvious, and those are the ones that make me wonder why anyone would want to hang around here to repeatedly make them.

It's not my place to control what gets said one way or the other, nor would I want it to be; it would be very boring if we all always agreed. Like you, I'm just offering a perspective.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Steve, I appreciate your perspective. I was referring to no one in particular, and as I was careful to say, only some of the criticism comes across as not particularly constructive. The constructive comments, like those you just made, are clearly genuine and obvious. The relentlessly negative comments that seem to have no constructive purpose are equally obvious, and those are the ones that make me wonder why anyone would want to hang around here to repeatedly make them.

It's not my place to control what gets said one way or the other, nor would I want it to be; it would be very boring if we all always agreed. Like you, I'm just offering a perspective.
Mike, you are a great balance to a lot of us upset at Porsche. You are absolutely correct about some of us, including me, making repeated negative comments about Porsche. There is a saying "never underestimate the power denial". I think some of us are in denial about Porsche's product strategy, but we believe, wrongly, that Porsche will listen to us. We keep hoping, but we are in denial.

Just as Porsche has choices (PDK, CL, RWS etc.), buyers also have a lot of choices these days, and the number of "track day" offerings keep increasing. Porsche is also moving their prices more upmarket, which may hurt sales.

Right now, we are screaming because we care. But, when we stop screaming, and no longer frequent Rennlist, we will no longer care about Porsche, and we would have moved onto other brands.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Right now, we are screaming because we care. But, when we stop screaming, and no longer frequent Rennlist, we will no longer care about Porsche, and we would have moved onto other brands.

Fair enough and well said.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3

Fair enough and well said.
+1 very well said!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Porsche isn't going to listen to any of us. Porsche is going to build cars that Porsche wants...uh...VW...wants to build. Porsche today is not the same car that we all grew up wanting.

Porsche is depressing me.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:58 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Not disagreeing with you mdrums but if thats the case, in the long term it will be Porsche whom will lose... The buyer they are targeting with $$ and no passion buys whatever is in fashion. Today its a Porsche, tomorrow its something else... No loyalty.

If they push their loyal customers away, its going to be way harder to get them back... Just an opinion.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
To go back to 5 lug would be an admission that they got it wrong with the 997.2 and as we know Porsche is never wrong!
Bingo
Old 03-22-2013, 11:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Not disagreeing with you mdrums but if thats the case, in the long term it will be Porsche whom will lose... The buyer they are targeting with $$ and no passion buys whatever is in fashion. Today its a Porsche, tomorrow its something else... No loyalty.

If they push their loyal customers away, its going to be way harder to get them back... Just an opinion.
Yep Chris...I agree with you 100%

Quick Reply: If you could ask Andreas Preuninger (chief engineer of the new GT3) what would it be?