Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could ask Andreas Preuninger (chief engineer of the new GT3) what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:04 AM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Not 991 Questions, but
What is the Coefficient of Lift (front and rear) of the 996.2 GT3?
What is the range of angle of attack (relative to horizontal) for the rear wing of a 997.1 GT3 Cup?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:15 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Will the 991 GT3 be gracing youtube's most watched with further videos of CL failures or have they "really" fixed them as in "no scheduled replacement every 7000km" kind of fixed?

Why persist with technology that provides no tangible benefits yet introduces significant increase in risk and possibility for failure? That is CLs...

Now that Porsche are done providing a GT car for the masses, any chance of them providing at least one variant for their loyal track enthusiasts who don't demand a cushy, wing deleted, Burmester equiped four seater track weapon? Just something lighter, faster and robust without all the bells and whistles of the gimmick world....

Last edited by 911rox; 03-22-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Toning down post ;)
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Why?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 AM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more question;

How much weight is the 90 liter fuel tank option going to add (of course measured without fuel) and does this alter the frunk capacity. ?

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-22-2013, 01:15 PM
outline
Racer

Based on the 996 and 997, very little in terms of dry weight, the tank is only plastic after all and zero difference in frunk capacity.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by outline
Based on the 996 and 997, very little in terms of dry weight, the tank is only plastic after all and zero difference in frunk capacity.
Cool thanks

Mike
Old 03-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Sport Bucket Seats on MY2014 991 gt3

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Eduardo, you might be right, but let me suggest a possible simpler answer. Word is that Porsche is coming out with a redesigned GT bucket seat.
Back on 2/26/13, I reported that Porsche is indeed working on a redesigned 'sport bucket seat':

"I believe PAG & Recaro are both working on an adjustable kind of sport bucket seat that can be raised, lowered and tilted, so as to adapt to the different heights/body type of drivers. But that is not yet ready. It will be for sure available by the time they bring out the 960 FeFi and possibly the .2 editions of the 991 gt3's down the road! It will be a less expensive & simpler version of the expected 918 Spyder 'sport bucket seats' which will have all of those adjustment capabilities!" See post #574:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...d-news-39.html

Regardless recent info given by anonymous sources to Mdrums, I am sure that the expensive 918 Spyder seats will not be employed in the 991 gt3 or gt3 RS! For sure Porsche is working on an improved 'sport bucket seat' for the entire 991/981 line that will have MORE adjustments than current 'gt2' type. But I don't believe that is the reason for not offering a 'sport bucket' on the MY2014 991 gt3 in the US!

Keep in mind that cars won't be delivered here until at least Nov/Dec so the "gap period" without sport buckets will probably be just a few months. They didn't want to have to go through the expense of certifying the current GT bucket in the 991 GT3 for that short period, then have to go through the process again with the new seat. The number of US customers to be affected by this decision is likely to be very low, so they risked upsetting those few customers. Not saying that's optimal, but as a business decision it makes sense on some levels.
What you are suggesting is plausible but not probable. PAG and PCNA have a time-tested method they use to announce a 'delay offering' on any option that will appear months after the start of series production. For example, they will list the option (say 'sport bucket seat') & its order code, then explained 'Delayed availability until Feb. 15, 2014 production'. Similarly, if they were to be about ready to introduce a revised 'sport bucket seat', they would have also given the European & ROW markets some news of that and when it would be available! There is no 'buzz' about a revised 'sport bucket seats' at present in those markets. They expect the current gt2 type buckets to be continued as the sole bucket option for MY2014 991 gt3's, 991's and 981's in Europe & ROW!

Porsche is an experienced marketing company...no one doubts that for a minute! If they wanted to give the US gt3 faithful 'hope' that a 'sport bucket seat' might be offered soon, they would have already found a way to inform us of that! But it has been just the opposite. PCNA has categorically stated that there will be NO 'sport bucket seats' for MY2014 991 gt3. Those statements seem to me unambiguous, explicit and direct! I wish what you are saying is true...but I frankly don't think so! But what do I know? I thought for sure the gt2 buckets would be offered from 'the-get-go' on the 991 gt3 in the US market! And I can assure you Detlev von Platen doesn't have my number on speed-dial!

As to your question for AP, he would certainly answer that Porsche would not recommend using an uncertified ROW seat in a US car, regardless of whether he knows if there would be airbag issues or not. For legal reasons, what else could he say?
I am not expecting him to answer my question in any meaningful way. You are correct on that!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 PM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Back on 2/26/13, I reported that Porsche is indeed working on a redesigned 'sport bucket seat':

"I believe PAG & Recaro are both working on an adjustable kind of sport bucket seat that can be raised, lowered and tilted, so as to adapt to the different heights/body type of drivers. But that is not yet ready. It will be for sure available by the time they bring out the 960 FeFi and possibly the .2 editions of the 991 gt3's down the road! It will be a less expensive & simpler version of the expected 918 Spyder 'sport bucket seats' which will have all of those adjustment capabilities!" See post #574:

Regardless recent info given by anonymous sources to Mdrums, I am sure that the expensive 918 Spyder seats will not be employed in the 991 gt3 or gt3 RS! For sure Porsche is working on an improved 'sport bucket seat' for the entire 991/981 line that will have MORE adjustments than current 'gt2' type. But I don't believe that is the reason for not offering a 'sport bucket' on the MY2014 991 gt3 in the US!

What you are suggesting is plausible but not probable. PAG and PCNA have a time-tested method they use to announce a 'delay offering' on any option that will appear months after the start of series production. For example, they will list the option (say 'sport bucket seat') & its order code, then explained 'Delayed availability until Feb. 15, 2014 production'. Similarly, if they were to be about ready to introduce a revised 'sport bucket seat', they would have also given the European & ROW markets some news of that and when it would be available! There is no 'buzz' about a revised 'sport bucket seats' at present in those markets. They expect the current gt2 type buckets to be continued as the sole bucket option for MY2014 991 gt3's, 991's and 981's in Europe & ROW!

Porsche is an experienced marketing company...no one doubts that for a minute! If they wanted to give the US gt3 faithful 'hope' that a 'sport bucket seat' might be offered soon, they would have already found a way to inform us of that! But it has been just the opposite. PCNA has categorically stated that there will be NO 'sport bucket seats' for MY2014 991 gt3. Those statements seem to me unambiguous, explicit and direct! I wish what you are saying is true...but I frankly don't think so! But what do I know? I thought for sure the gt2 buckets would be offered from 'the-get-go' on the 991 gt3 in the US market! And I can assure you Detlev von Platen doesn't have my number on speed-dial!

I am not expecting him to answer my question in any meaningful way. You are correct on that!

Saludos,
Eduardo
I want AP to just be straight, is there a bucket seat option coming for the 991 GT3, if so when ?

That is all that needs to be answered

Mike
Old 03-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Saludos,
Eduardo
My friend, the only other explanation I've heard for this snafu so far is that PCNA and the lawyers have cooked up some nefarious plot to keep 991 GT3's off the track. On the face of it that seems silly; if it were true why would sport buckets have been offered in the US in the past, and why will they certainly be offered again in the near future? The car is available everywhere else in the world with track oriented options; Porsche clearly considers it capable in that environment.

In my mind it is far more likely that US certification, development, and timing issues are responsible for this seat thing than some conspiracy theory! My wager; the RS will be available with a new style sport bucket when it debuts a short time after the first GT3 deliveries begin, and this new bucket will be available, or retrofittable to the GT3, not too long after that. Here's a chance for you to recoup your losses on that ill fated GT2 bucket advice!

Best,
Old 03-22-2013, 04:45 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

My friend, the only other explanation I've heard for this snafu so far is that PCNA and the lawyers have cooked up some nefarious plot to keep 991 GT3's off the track. On the face of it that seems silly; if it were true why would sport buckets have been offered in the US in the past, and why will they certainly be offered again in the near future? The car is available everywhere else in the world with track oriented options; Porsche clearly considers it capable in that environment.

In my mind it is far more likely that US certification, development, and timing issues are responsible for this seat thing than some conspiracy theory!
+1
Old 03-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
id say they removed the bucket seat option due to lack of sales with buckets.

AND

they are saving it for the RS.

But i would like to know when can we expect the 960 race car?
that's my suspicion too!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by triode
Take a baseball bat to his head until he swears to put a proper manual transmission option back in the 991 "GT3", and remind him that it was he who used the term "granny paddles" just 3 short years ago to describe the PDK.
+1

I think of them as "fanny paddles"
Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Eduardo, you might be right, but let me suggest a possible simpler answer. Word is that Porsche is coming out with a redesigned GT bucket seat. Keep in mind that cars won't be delivered here until at least Nov/Dec so the "gap period" without sport buckets will probably be just a few months. They didn't want to have to go through the expense of certifying the current GT bucket in the 991 GT3 for that short period, then have to go through the process again with the new seat. The number of US customers to be affected by this decision is likely to be very low, so they risked upsetting those few customers. Not saying that's optimal, but as a business decision it makes sense on some levels.

As to your question for AP, he would certainly answer that Porsche would not recommend using an uncertified ROW seat in a US car, regardless of whether he knows if there would be airbag issues or not. For legal reasons, what else could he say?

My question would be: How long will the production run for the first gen 991 GT3 last and how many cars are planned to be produced?
if you look at the UK car configurator you will see that the sports bucket is available as an option or as part of the clubsport pkg ...
Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default More re: sport bucket seats!

the only other explanation I've heard for this snafu so far is that PCNA and the lawyers have cooked up some nefarious plot to keep 991 GT3's off the track.
Nefarious signifies something criminal, wicked or evil. That is not what is being suggested. Instead, you can interpret their tactic of not offering 'sport bucket seats' in the US market as prudent, rational and wise business decision based on the best advice of PCNA's lawyers and their awareness of recent defects (e.g. CL's) in some of their models.

On the face of it that seems silly;
I could accuse you too of sounding 'silly' with your devoted defense of Porsche and their suppose infallibility re: these 'defect' issues. But I will not bring myself to do it... since I respect you and your views!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ew-recall.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...onversion.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-registry.html

if it were true why would sport buckets have been offered in the US in the past
PCNA (and PAG at the time) was not aware back then that certain parts of the 997 gt3, gt3 RS, gt2 RS and others would have the issues (e.g. CL) that they have experienced! Had they foreseen it, I doubt they would have allowed the 'sport bucket seats' to be offered on the 997 US models!

and why will they certainly be offered again in the near future?
They will be offered again in the US when PCNA is certain that the vehicle in which they are offered does no longer posed a liability to them in repeated recreational DE use at the track (not racing!).

The car is available everywhere else in the world with track oriented options; Porsche clearly considers it capable in that environment.
This country has some of the more onerous tort & liability laws in the world and an oversupply of lawyers that will be happy to apply them to Porsche in case of an accident involving injuries or deaths.

In my mind it is far more likely that US certification, development, and timing issues are responsible for this seat thing than some conspiracy theory!
Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

My wager; the RS will be available with a new style sport bucket when it debuts a short time after the first GT3 deliveries begin, and this new bucket will be available, or retrofittable to the GT3, not too long after that.
Your original wager was that the new style sport bucket would debut just a few months after the first 991 gt3's were to be delivered in the US (see below). Now you have apparently hedged your bet and suggest it will come when the RS is introduced! Well, the 991 gt3 RS will not be introduced into this market until at least Fall of 2014 as a MY2015, maybe 9 months or one year after the 991 gt3 starts arriving & begin deliveries in our market!

Word is that Porsche is coming out with a redesigned GT bucket seat. Keep in mind that cars won't be delivered here until at least Nov/Dec so the "gap period" without sport buckets will probably be just a few months.
I have also posted that I expect some sort of 'Sport Bucket Seats' on the US 991 gt3 RS when it arrives...if all goes well. It's all about this model being 'bullet proof', not some bureaucratic issue with certification. As others have said, they could have certified the gt2 seat for the MY2014 991 gt3 in the US had they wanted to...and done it very easily!

Here's a chance for you to recoup your losses on that ill fated GT2 bucket advice!
No, I lost that bet fair & square. But I have carefully studied Porsche's recent announcements and I am pessimistic that we will see a 'sport bucket seat' option on the MY2014 US 991 gt3! I hope you and others (e.g. Stirling Moss) are right...and we get them sooner. Time will tell! But we are still on for drinks at my house during your visit to Carmel at the Historics! The beers are on me!

My advise to anyone intent in buying a 991 gt3 in the US is to seriously consider postponing their purchase until the MY2015 model is introduced! It will take at least one year of testing and warranty experience for Porsche & the public to see if the so-called improvements on the CL fixed the issues! And that no significant problems arise with the 'new' DFI gt3 engine, rear wheel steering and the rest of the innovations offered on this new model! Even if you don't elect to go for the 'RS' model, I believe the MY2015 base gt3 will be the one to aim for! If the engineering proves solid, we will see a 'sport bucket' offered on both the MY2015 gt3 and RS. It will also be when the PTS window is probably open for this base gt3 model. Again, my dos centavos, for what it's worth!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-22-2013, 06:24 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PCNA (and PAG at the time) was not aware back then that certain parts of the 997 gt3, gt3 RS, gt2 RS and others would have the issues (e.g. CL) that they have experienced! Had they foreseen it, I doubt they would have allowed the 'sport bucket seats' to be offered on the 997 US models!
Sure, leave the seats out, but keep the CLs - that's 'the fix'. I wouldn't have believed that would be considered, but it seems like it is.

My advise to anyone intent in buying a 991 gt3 in the US is to seriously consider postponing their purchase until the MY2015 model is introduced! It will take at least one year of testing and warranty experience for Porsche & the public to see if the so-called improvements on the CL fixed the issues! And that no significant problems arise with the 'new' DFI gt3 engine, rear wheel steering and the rest of the innovations offered on this new model! Even if you don't elect to go for the 'RS' model, I believe the MY2015 base gt3 will be the one to aim for! If the engineering proves solid, we will see a 'sport bucket' offered on both the MY2015 gt3 and RS. It will also be when the PTS window is probably open for this base gt3 model. Again, my dos centavos, for what it's worth!

Saludos,
Eduardo
That's assuming the new car is tracked as often and as hard as the old ones have been - it's obvious that Porsche's testing didn't catch the CL issue.

Sad, but I think you're right, Eduardo.

Quick Reply: If you could ask Andreas Preuninger (chief engineer of the new GT3) what would it be?