Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Truth in Advertising and Honesty in Execution. (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/746335-truth-in-advertising-and-honesty-in-execution.html)

savyboy 03-19-2013 10:38 AM

Truth in Advertising and Honesty in Execution.

1 Attachment(s)
Porsche could learn a lesson in honesty, value and integrity:

"Chrysler plans to build 33 versions of its Viper super car that are so close to being race cars that the are ready for the track without any additional tuning.

The 2014 SRT Viper TA will be revealed March 27 at the New York International Auto Show.

Chrysler said it revised the suspension settings to configure the SRT Viper TA, or Time Attack, for the racetrack.

The new 2014 SRT Viper TA is being engineering for the dedicated track enthusiast, who still wants to drive to the track and take their hobby to the next level,” Ralph Gilles, president and CEO of the SRT Brand said in a statement. “We’re not only saluting the existing capabilities of our current models, we’re also targeting another niche in our customer base with a tremendously capable track machine.”

The TA version of the Viper will cost about $116,000 when it goes on sale this fall."

Another nail in the 991 GT3 (and forthcoming RS) coffin. Poseurs will pose, trackers will track. I wonder if the TA will have 68 different deviated stitching options and faux carbon fiber overlay that yellows and peels off? Mr. Gilles- I like the way you talk, and more importantly, I like what you've created. Thank you for the courage, enthusiasm and integrity to make a car like this happen.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013031...ttack-chrysler

Ran a 1:33 at Laguna Seca box-stock and 1:30.7 on slicks (like all the GT3 guys run).

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/18/v...e-loss-to-zr1/

Nizer 03-19-2013 11:08 AM

Does the warranty cover track use? No warranty coverage for a track-focused offering is a non-starter IMO. Everything else is a matter of personal choice.

orthojoe 03-19-2013 11:13 AM

What I find most interesting/telling is that former diehard fans/posterchilds for Porsche such as savyboy and Z356 have changed their tunes on Porsche significantly over the past several months. Savy and Z356 are totally different types of customers for Porsche, yet they have both been 'let down' by a company that they used to enthusiastic about.

What happens to sales once the posers realize that the real enthusiasts aren't quite as enthusiastic about Porsche anymore? How long will it take to trickle down to the posers?

Before Mike in CA jumps all over me, I haven't come to a conclusion on the new GT3 yet. However, as AP stated, the car is most certainly aimed for a wider audience. Does this mean the needs of a track enthusiast are not as important to the company anymore? It wasn't important enough to give people in the US the option to get bucket seats. Maybe the RS will fill that role, but it's not for certain. Like it or not, the competition now is legitimate and offer more value. How long can Porsche rest on their past reputation when guys like savyboy and Z356 are starting to leave the flock?

roberga 03-19-2013 11:21 AM

they are building 33 cars- and just like their past offering the dealers will add " market adjustment" which I bet will be at least another $30K. With 33 units available they will get it.

That being said, like most things competition is good. If Viper and others push Porsche will have to respond.

savyboy 03-19-2013 11:28 AM

This resonates deeply with me: "March 18, 2013 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Configured in-house by the Chrysler Group’s SRT (Street and Racing Technology) team in collaboration with professional road racers, the exclusive, street-legal and single-spec 2014 SRT Viper TA (Time Attack) package is specifically built for the performance enthusiast driver who likes to exercise their machines at the more than 150 road-race courses around North America. "

I am so sick and tired of the The Great Porsche Marketing Machine slick BS. And the butt-raping replacement parts and servicing prices.

Give me honest representation, light weight, simplicity. And give me some f*cking value. Kudos to all involved with the new Corvette and to the new Viper. You can feel the honesty and enthusiasm that is going into the design and engineering of these cars. It's fantastic and I'm thrilled to see this happening in the USA.

stevecolletti 03-19-2013 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by orthojoe (Post 10313139)
What I find most interesting/telling is that former diehard fans/posterchilds for Porsche such as savyboy and Z356 have changed their tunes on Porsche significantly over the past several months. Savy and Z356 are totally different types of customers for Porsche, yet they have both been 'let down' by a company that they used to enthusiastic about.

What happens to sales once the posers realize that the real enthusiasts aren't quite as enthusiastic about Porsche anymore? How long will it take to trickle down to the posers?

Before Mike in CA jumps all over me, I haven't come to a conclusion on the new GT3 yet. However, as AP stated, the car is most certainly aimed for a wider audience. Does this mean the needs of a track enthusiast are not as important to the company anymore? It wasn't important enough to give people in the US the option to get bucket seats. Maybe the RS will fill that role, but it's not for certain. Like it or not, the competition now is legitimate and offer more value. How long can Porsche rest on their past reputation when guys like savyboy and Z356 are starting to leave the flock?

+1
I still believe that Porsche's (GT) race efforts will go toward the (future) 960. At this point, the pressure is on for Porsche and the 960 will need to be one heck of a car.

neanicu 03-19-2013 11:50 AM

Such drama...
Besides the PDK only move and having a representative that constantly contradicts himself,I don't see a problem.
The constant posting of these kind of threads where American cars get all the praise on a Porsche forum by US fan boys drinking the Corvette and Viper kool aid is not going to make a difference in the end...it'll just raise a few comments,that's about it...
Very entertaining...

Hothonda 03-19-2013 11:58 AM

I quit smoking Marlboros many, many years ago........

That said, the rivalry with the new C7 will make for good
entertainment.

KINGSRULE 03-19-2013 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by neanicu (Post 10313247)
Such drama...
Besides the PDK only move and having a representative that constantly contradicts himself,I don't see a problem.
The constant posting of these kind of threads where American cars get all the praise on a Porsche forum by US fan boys drinking the Corvette and Viper kool aid is not going to make a difference in the end...it'll just raise a few comments,that's about it...
Very entertaining...

+1

Who cares what Savyboy thinks?

stevecolletti 03-19-2013 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by GJ (Post 10313275)
+1

Porsche should care about every repeat buyer, but since you specifically mention Savy... it was not so long ago, that Pete bought a GT3RS, a Boxster Spyder, a GT2RS and a GT3RS 4.0 (did I miss any?) all within about a year.

I will make the point, too, that Chrysler and Chevrolet are both (hopefully) coming off some pretty bad times and are doing what they have to do now to prove something, whereas Porsche has been on the opposite path for the last few (or several?) years ... they've been living on the laurels of the past and have been cashing in on it.

Time will tell...

Veloce Raptor 03-19-2013 12:14 PM

+1

:rolleyes:

savyboy 03-19-2013 12:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by neanicu (Post 10313247)
Such drama...
Very entertaining...

+1

Agreed, who cares, I'm just a Corvette and Viper fan boy ;) Not like I have any actual hands-on experience with Porsche ownership, tracking or maintenance...

Wait a minute, Kool-aid? Hmmm, got some???

neanicu 03-19-2013 12:18 PM

It will come down to voting with your brain,heart,but most importantly with your wallet.
Both the Corvette and Viper will need to continue winning races(which they are doing very well right now),build a name for themselves in terms of quality,reliability,both on track and off track,durability,great customer relations related to service and sales and financial stability which they've been lacking and needed the government to step in...
When all these factors will be met,I'll be the first one walking into one of their dealerships,mark my words!

savyboy 03-19-2013 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by stevecolletti (Post 10313312)
Porsche should care about every repeat buyer, but since you specifically mention Savy... it was not so long ago, that Pete bought a GT3RS, a Boxster Spyder, a GT2RS and a GT3RS 4.0 (did I miss any?) all within about a year.

I will make the point, too, that Chrysler and Chevrolet are both (hopefully) coming off some pretty bad times and are doing what they have to do now to prove something, whereas Porsche has been on the opposite path for the last few (or several?) years ... they've been living on the laurels of the past and have been cashing in on it.

Time will tell..

Yes, the '09 C4S SPASM and the '11 Turbo Cayenne (which is awesome!) :p

You get it Steve, and I bolded the important part of your post.

Veloce Raptor 03-19-2013 12:23 PM

Neanicu, remember that Porsche also had a near-death experience. Unlike Chrysler and GM, it literally came within HOURS of going nipples-skyward, until it was saved by Volkswagen. And since we're talking about reliability and quality, how about those IMS's? Those centerlocks? All those RS engine failures? Etc?

No manufacturer of high end sports cars has a lock on quality. I love Porsches, but they have their share of problems, I assure you.

QED...