Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truth in Advertising and Honesty in Execution.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Savy- that SRT looks very promising for the track. I saw a previous generation last year at Mid Ohio. Came from the factory with interior stripped, full cage, race ready- it was impressive. I wonder why they are only making 33 when they could easily sell 330.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Neanicu, remember that Porsche also had a near-death experience. Unlike Chrysler and GM, it literally came within HOURS of going nipples-skyward, until it was saved by Volkswagen. And since we're talking about reliability and quality, how about those IMS's? Those centerlocks? All those RS engine failures? Etc?

No manufacturer of high end sports cars has a lock on quality. I love Porsches, but they have their share of problems, I assure you.

QED...
...the nearly unmentioned variocam adjuster failures.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Oh yeah, I forgot that one!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scott40
Savy- that SRT looks very promising for the track. I saw a previous generation last year at Mid Ohio. Came from the factory with interior stripped, full cage, race ready- it was impressive. I wonder why they are only making 33 when they could easily sell 330.
Great question, testing the water perhaps? Inspiring desire? I can only guess.

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
It is a laundry list if people want to be honest and look behind the Marketing Curtain. But I was hoping to only celebrate the competition in this thread not hammer on the "issues"
Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Neanicu, remember that Porsche also had a near-death experience. Unlike Chrysler and GM, it literally came within HOURS of going nipples-skyward, until it was saved by Volkswagen. And since we're talking about reliability and quality, how about those IMS's? Those centerlocks? All those RS engine failures? Etc?

No manufacturer of high end sports cars has a lock on quality. I love Porsches, but they have their share of problems, I assure you.

QED...
I agree with your statement.
Ferraris,Lambos,they all have their problems...and competition between marques can only be beneficial to us!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Ferraris,Lambos,they all have their problems...and competition between marques can only be beneficial to us!
Absolutely!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:52 PM
LotF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I welcome the competition but Government Motors is dead to me after they shafted their bond holders. Chrysler quality is so awful that Damlier couldn't fix it and dumped them. Since I'm paying for their bailout too with future income tax, unless they want to sell me a vehicle at 1/2 their cost, I'm not interested. With respect to advertising. ... caveat emptor.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Wish Ford would fix the Mustang ( first car I ever owned was 65 Mustang) and they did not screw me out of any of my investment and then tax money.. Never will own any and all GM cars.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:56 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
Wish Ford would fix the Mustang ( first car I ever owned was 65 Mustang) and they did not screw me out of any of my investment and then tax money.. Never will own any and all GM cars.
Have you tried the Boss 302? I haven't driven one myself, but know someone who tracks it and loves it.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 PM
savyboy
Drifting

The Ford 302R and S factory, non-street legal, track cars offer huge value. Cost of consumables/replacement parts is miniscule compared to a GT3 or a Cup. Install a rear panhard/coilover suspension ($6k!) and you have an incredible value in a track day car. Boss 302 would be great for the couple times a year tracker. I know my friend Trakcar feels otherwise
Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Manufacturers should cater to their loyal clientele...period.

Reputation and public perception are invaluable in this and almost every business.

Does anyone here still use a Blackberry phone? I along with millions of other users - have this phone, and love the physical keyboard. Months ago - RIMM planned to release their upcoming product with no keyboard - to "update" the technology. Needless to say - the millions of loyal customers went crazy, and Rimm is now planning the new phone with a physical keyboard...

If you've built a brand reputation, and a loyal following around a well designed product that people love and respect - -lesson #1 is don't mess with the formula.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:25 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Jeez, did Captain America throw his toys out of the pram?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Porsche could learn a lesson in honesty, value and integrity:

"Chrysler plans to build 33 versions of its Viper super car that are so close to being race cars that the are ready for the track without any additional tuning.

The 2014 SRT Viper TA will be revealed March 27 at the New York International Auto Show.

Chrysler said it revised the suspension settings to configure the SRT Viper TA, or Time Attack, for the racetrack.

The new 2014 SRT Viper TA is being engineering for the dedicated track enthusiast, who still wants to drive to the track and take their hobby to the next level,” Ralph Gilles, president and CEO of the SRT Brand said in a statement. “We’re not only saluting the existing capabilities of our current models, we’re also targeting another niche in our customer base with a tremendously capable track machine.”

The TA version of the Viper will cost about $116,000 when it goes on sale this fall."

Another nail in the 991 GT3 (and forthcoming RS) coffin. Poseurs will pose, trackers will track. I wonder if the TA will have 68 different deviated stitching options and faux carbon fiber overlay that yellows and peels off? Mr. Gilles- I like the way you talk, and more importantly, I like what you've created. Thank you for the courage, enthusiasm and integrity to make a car like this happen.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013031...ttack-chrysler

Ran a 1:33 at Laguna Seca box-stock and 1:30.7 on slicks (like all the GT3 guys run).

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/18/v...e-loss-to-zr1/
You bought one to keep the 1500Diesel company didn't you
I cant find a damn SRT dealer anywhere on Google.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:04 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You bought one to keep the 1500Diesel company didn't you
I cant find a damn SRT dealer anywhere on Google.
Same as you, I discovered actually trying to find a dealer is a challenge. After 5 phone calls I eventually did find one, he is trying to see if he can get an allocation. Result of many years basically being out of business I guess?

Yeah! RAM1500 and then looking at a Viper, wow, who'd a thunk it? Things change eh? Crazy times but damn it is great from the point of view of an enthusiast isn't it. I know you feel thae same way, because you are not a "fan boy" either. Lucky us huh?

PS- Not saying I am ordering one, but it sure gets my attention.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Just stupid that they didn't call it the Dodge it is.
Its going to be coming from a crappy Dodge dealer with crappy service.

Like they call the trucks RAM now. Sorry still the same crappy Dodge dealer and service.
Love my 2011 Dually, I will pickup the new model as soon as they have them available for test rides.

My Dodges are suspiciously dependable. I put 45K miles on the first one in 3 years, it was an '08, now I have 55K miles on the '11 and I dont remember anything ever braking on them under warranty or after..Both did 80% of those miles with 2 GT3's in a 44' trailer going 80-90Mph...

The 4.0 has warranty till 2017, I love that car.
A second track beater like Vette or Viper would not be a bad thing, if nothing else to test them for real to find out how track (un)reliable they are. I think I can compete a test drive in 3-4 months in the middle of summer at Sebring :-)

Quick Reply: Truth in Advertising and Honesty in Execution.