Sponsored by:

What do we know about the 991TTT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TB993tt
How do you package a TTT with a flat 6 ?

Its gonna be a TT only
Are you sure about that:

"According to the British publication Autocar , Porsche engineers are already in the late stages of research and development of a triple-turbo 911. Prototypes have already been commissioned to test the new powerplant and Autocar claims to have found German patent applications filed for the system.
We’ve already heard about BMW’s newest quartet of M-powered cars — the X6 M50d, M550d xDrive, M550d xDrive Touring, and X5 M50d — which all feature a 3.0-liter, triple-turbo, inline-six diesel engine rated at 381 hp and 546 lb-ft of torque. Autocar says the Porsche’s boxer six will employ a similar turbo setup, with two traditional turbines supplemented by a smaller unit to help with low-end response."
Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

No not sure at all..... My German tuner buddies reckon its not going to happen but then they didn't expect the titanium rodded A91 either so bang goes their credibility

I'm trying to envisage the layout, I had a good look round some of the cut away engines on stands at Geneva and some impressive packaging no doubt (the latest BMW electronic wastegate controller is being used on my engine) but these engines are not producing 500+hp with 700+NM over a 2500rpm span with all the heat management that brings with it.
Where is teh room in the engine bay for all the extra pipework for intercooling etc... I just can't see it
Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
Are you sure about that:

"According to the British publication Autocar , Porsche engineers are already in the late stages of research and development of a triple-turbo 911. Prototypes have already been commissioned to test the new powerplant and Autocar claims to have found German patent applications filed for the system.
We’ve already heard about BMW’s newest quartet of M-powered cars — the X6 M50d, M550d xDrive, M550d xDrive Touring, and X5 M50d — which all feature a 3.0-liter, triple-turbo, inline-six diesel engine rated at 381 hp and 546 lb-ft of torque. Autocar says the Porsche’s boxer six will employ a similar turbo setup, with two traditional turbines supplemented by a smaller unit to help with low-end response."
I think Porsche could go either way -- 2 into 1 or 1 into 2 -- but aside from the lag advantage, I assume it's all to do with emissions and tweaking the car to get its fat belly over some imagined mpg bar.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:40 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why "TTT"? will they add a 3rd turbine?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:40 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by StirlingMoss
Then I would get a GTR for half the price of a 991 Turbo and tune it beyond recognition Swap the turbos, mend the fuelmaps to hell and run race cats. 800hp and [numberoverflow]Nm torque. Need to sort out brake and gearbox cooling. Maybe a set of carbon wheels to get the weight down from those stock 20s. Now you will drive like a boss
Great car for numbness and 3 laps before limp mode. I instructed and drove too many on street and track to completely write off the GTR as an option for either. I even owned one very briefly.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The next turbo could be quite the all-rounder, but the price tag once it's set up will be a bit silly, and the depreciation will make for very expensive motoring.

As for the RS – or the turbo for that matter – has there been any official word in writing, anything from Porsche whatsoever?

I think keeping the RS deposit as a place marker with the dealer until we know at least as much as we know about the GT3 will give you a better view of the battleground. I don't think the local dealer is even taking RS deposits yet (the same handful of folks all retain the same pecking order anyway.)

Porsche has a lot of cars to bring to market in the 2014 time frame, so we'll know a lot more about adjacent models before the RS is rusting in the garage.
TTT are to be bought CPO after 2/3 years and 50% depreciation..

No point to deposit for Porsches anymore, they will be 3 deep at the dealerships at a discount like the C2S.. Waiting lists are for cayenne's and the upcoming Macam.

Originally Posted by wanna911
False, that misconception has long been trampled.

As much as Porsche sandbags the Turbo's to maintain the pecking order, all it takes is a good alignment and equivalent tires and the Turbo's would be easily faster than the GT3's. A tune puts the TT at 550-600 hp. Game over.

Heavier or not, you can't beat the torque and the driver confidence that comes with AWD on less sticky tires. It's not as fun, but there is no denying the speed.

Man, you sure don't do your homework. The GT-R's 20's are lighter than most (if not all) of Porsche's 997 Generation wheels, and barely heavier than the 996 18" wheels. They are forged and made by Ray's who also make volk who have also made (and maybe still do) make wheels for F1.

On top of that, all of the mods you mention would make the GT-R more expensive than the Turbo by the time you add all of the additional mods required to make 800hp and the cooling to match and gearbox mods to hold up.
Uh oh, someone else who has thrown his toys out of the pram

It was all based on own experience (having owned a 580hp tuned 997.1 Turbo with properly setup suspension) and that of friends who track modified Turbos, modified GTRs and stock GT3s. Your different view and experience is of course appreciated.
Wanna911 knows his Turbo's and he has the fastest one, yet he has to deal with GTR's. they might pass him only to coold down the lap after, but they are still passing.

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I believe the 2011 tts ran the ring in 7:31, I don't think a 3.8 rs did it any faster. Not sure about the 4.0. I imagine the 991ttt will be in the 7:2x's. Pretty damn fast if you ask me.
I think that's fast. Just like the TT's at Sebring, they are fast.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
when the 997.1 Turbos hit the 50k price point im taking one and stripping it for tarmac rallying.
Gona give it my Cup seats, wheels, doors, wing, clubsport full cage and my suspension.
A solid tune and exhaust will be in order.

it will run like a raped ape.

given the market now and typical owners, id say when the 991 turbo hits the streets the 997 turbo will be a bargin.
And they are manual, I like where you are going with that, perfect AWD Ralley car.

Originally Posted by mdrums
C6 Vettes at the track are stupid fast...yes even in the corners. Grassroots magazine did a trak car shoot out at VIR in 2012. Full interior, safety mods and so light brake mods C6 Z06 beat a lot of gutted out race cars...even Porsches!
Agreed.

7:32 for the Turbo S on Nordschleife vs 7:33 for the 3.8 GT3 RS. Nordschleife is a fast track which suits the turbo very well. Not many tight corners. Like driving a country road through the hills.

Compare to...

1:10.90 for the Turbo S on Hockenheim (short version) vs 1:09.50 for the 3.8 GT3 RS.

Torque does not make you faster through the corners
It's not torque, its downforce and stickier tires mostly in OEM config.

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Did the Turbo have sticky tires like the GT3. I doubt it.
My thoughts exactly. TT will need a wing, but thats easy.

I think Porsche could go either way -- 2 into 1 or 1 into 2 -- but aside from the lag advantage, I assume it's all to do with emissions and tweaking the car to get its fat belly over some imagined mpg bar.
And it continues to go faster with more weight..
Let's hope it has the "sail" and start stop function to pass the MPG and the solituin is just pulling a fuse.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

7:32 for the Turbo S on Nordschleife vs 7:33 for the 3.8 GT3 RS. Nordschleife is a fast track which suits the turbo very well. Not many tight corners. Like driving a country road through the hills.

Compare to...

1:10.90 for the Turbo S on Hockenheim (short version) vs 1:09.50 for the 3.8 GT3 RS.

Torque does not make you faster through the corners
On street tires. On the fat and sticky RS 3.8/4.0 MPSC 245/325, the 997TTS would drop 5-7 secs from that 7:32 lap, lapping faster than the 4.0RS.

We have a local 997TTS running on Hoosiers, and it cleans the clock of everything on a racetrack with an intermediate driver.

VW handicaps the 997TTS with crappy tires.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:34 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

They intentionally ran only street tires on the tts, why?
Can't have the 'touring car' beat the gt car.
Yes, it's gonna be three turbos.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
How do you package a TTT with a flat 6 ?

Its gonna be a TT only
Trusted sales guy at local P dealer has said Porsche has been releasing some interesting details about the new 991TT(T?), but said he has heard nothing about it being a tri-turbo, I'm going to say it's still a TT but all bets are off seeing the way Porsche is going
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Now that the new Porsche 911 GT3 has made its debut, attention turns to the next performance variant of the Type 991 Porsche 911 family, the infamous Turbo.

Though we’ve been spying prototypes of the car for several years now, today, we have a new set of shots that show the new Porsche 911 Turbo almost completely undisguised.

Being this late into its development, we expect the new car to debut soon, most likely at September’s Frankfurt Auto Show before reaching showrooms around the end of the year as a 2014 model.

The Porsche 911 Turbo is a car that needs no introduction here at Motor Authority.

Able to keep up with some of the best supercar models around; its combination of turbocharged power and all-wheel-drive traction ensures it’s almost always the first out of the blocks when the lights turn green.

Looking closely at the prototype of the next-generation model, we can clearly see the trademark side intake ports of the 911 Turbo, as well as its wider rear and oversized spoiler.

The rear bumper also features additional cooling vents on its flanks as well as an integrated rear diffuser. We can also see that the 911 Turbo has a unique exhaust design.

In the outgoing 997 generation, the 911 Turbo is some 44 mm wider than the regular Carrera and the same will be true for the new 991, as confirmed with the launch of the Carrera 4 models, which also sport a wider track.

Peak output should also be slightly higher than the 530 horsepower of the most recent 911 Turbo S, so expect a figure of around 550 horsepower to bring its output in-line with that of its Japanese nemesis, the Nissan GT-R.

An advanced tri-turbo setup has been reported as a possibility, with the addition of the third turbocharger aimed at improving low-end response for blistering off the line performance. But that’s not all as an uprated ‘PDK-S’ dual-clutch gearbox may also get the cut. It’s unclear if a conventional manual will be offered, given Porsche’s moves with the PDK-only 911 GT3.

Stay tuned for full details on the 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo soon, but in the meantime read about and ogle more spy shots of the convertible version of the car, here.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...urbo-spy-shots
Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

991 turbo = no manual = 100% sure..

Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks awesome.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

I can't see anything especially distinctive in those "mostly undisguised" photos. There's some camo over the LED running lights and the intakes, but it looks entirely unremarkable.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

I can't see anything especially distinctive in those "mostly undisguised" photos. There's some camo over the LED running lights and the intakes, but it looks entirely unremarkable.
unremarkable..well yes and no..the wing is completely ugly..the side intake vents - although not final yet....the back looks too much GTr - ized.

this is the most ugly 911 turbo ever..991 standard and 991 GT3..look way better. The 4 exhaust tips..are just the tip of the iceberg.

991 GT3 looks way better..
Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM
mike2727
Rennlist Member

[FONT="Arial Narrow"][/FON
T]
Originally Posted by zirrah
That looks awesome.
Looks like they finally got rid of the butt ugly foglight warts

Mike
Old 03-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike2727
Looks like they finally got rid of the butt ugly foglight warts

Mike
Excellent point.
Here's hoping ...
Don't Jinx it!

Quick Reply: What do we know about the 991TTT?